compression socks for running

Options
I have been having a horrible time with Shin Splints for the past 3 weeks- even after i took a 9day break from exercise (vacation). I am going to rn my first 5k in Sept. It has been suggested to me to get some compression socks-- even if its only to put ice packs in after I run.

Not sure why Shin Splints have started now-- I have been jogging (albeit not far) for a couple of months now--

Any ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you could physically get an ice pack inside a compression sock it's way too big.....they're tight, really tight.

I'm not sure compression socks will do anything for shin splints (it can't hurt to try but they are a little pricy). I've used them for longer runs and half marathon races and I do feel a little less beat up afterward but the science behind compression socks while running is still pretty sketchy (there is solid science behind using compression for recovery and avoiding things like deep vein thrombosis etc)

Shin splints are frequently an overuse type of injury. Increase your distances gradually.

The only sure fire cure for shin splints (assuming the problem isn't your shoes or related to your running form) is to strengthen your calves. Add calf raises to your strength routine and don't make any sudden increases in running distance.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am no expert on running (at all) but I've heard that it helps to shorten your stride if you are suffering from shin splints. I could be wrong, someone more knowledgeable might confirm or deny that.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I use compression sleeves after running long distances and I second the calf raises. I also find running on sidewalks tend to give me shin splints while running on the road does not. So now I avoid the sidewalks.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Shin splint possible causes -

Too much too soon. If they came back immediately after your 9 day break this is less likely, though possible.

Wrong or worn out shoes. Did you get fitted at a true running store? How old are they? Do you use them for anything other than running. Shoes should be fitted to you by a running store (not big box sporting goods). Shoes typically last 300-500 miles depending on you and your running style. They should only be used for running.

Hard landing. If you're landing in a hard or awkward fashion, the muscle next to the shinbone will contract to try and help stabilize the leg. (Trying to act like a splint as it were). Focus on landing softly near your center of gravity. If you are landing hard in front of your body, that is jarring for the leg. You should hear a soft swooshing sound, not a slap or thud, when you land.

Long term Brian is correct on strengthening calves. That allows them to take more of the stabilization load.
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    I agree with getting a shoe fitting. I was getting shin splints when I started because I didn't have enough arch support. I found it helped if I wore heels the day after running, I guess because they kept my calves flexed. Once I got better shoes and my body adjusted to running, I didn't have a problem with shin splints anymore.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    ...and here's another vote for getting properly fitted at a specialty running store. The right shoes for your size, foot shape, and gait can make the world of difference to your running.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you all for your comments. I am adding my time to my jogs slowly-- I add 2 minutes each week.-- I did have my shoes fit at a running store, but while I dont think they are worn out, I think I will check that out. I DO only wear them for running.

I think the big thing, is strengething the calves. I am going to really work on that- -and calf raises are easy to do anywhere.
    Thank You so much for the advice ---AND, its nice to hear that I am doing many things correctly