Feeling discouraged=/

Options
Two weeks ago I started really buckling down. I cut my calories to about 1200 a day, started making sure I get some daily activity in. Burn about 200-550 calories a day and in the first few days I dropped like 2 or 3 lbs like nothing. I got down from my bouncing weight of 148-145 to 142.8-142. Like I said, that happened in the first like 3 days. After that though the scale has not budged. I have stayed at 142.8-142.4 since then. I've been working my butt off, staying under my set calories fat and sugars, my abs have been burning for 3 days straight! NOTHING. am I not losing because I dropped the 3 lbs so fast or am I doing something wrong? I'm just getting really bummed out and distressed. I thought about hiding the scale but I dread coming back a month later after working so hard and still having lost like 1 lb if anything.

Replies

• KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories, or some of them? Are you drinking plenty of water? These can be factors to the scale not moving. If you have hit a plateau sometimes you need to jar things up a bit ... The initial weight loss is quick then it levels off and you have to make adjustments. Don't get discouraged :) There are lots of people here to help you and to encourage you. I dumped 8lbs in 21 days but I am eating a lot of my calories and drinking over a gallon of water a day :) YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah your body is adjusting. The original drop down was the shock of "Oh my gosh, you are cutting my calories AND making me work out?!" and then it stabilizes.

Hang in there. Keep doing what you are doing. Make sure you eat enough calories and after a while the scale will start to move again. It's only been 2 weeks or so and you are working to make a lifestyle change so it will take some time to get your system settled.

Great job on the first pounds off and stick with it!!

Cheers,
    Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Start taking your measurements too, because while the fat metabolizes and you gain muscle, the scale may not move but you may be losing still.
    Try and focus on the FEELING of being healthy and fit! That is a pretty good reward :)
  • lealenae
    Options
    No I usually don't eat my exercise calories and I really drink as much water as I should. I didn't know that not eating the calories that you burnt made you plateau? Wow.
    Thank you so much for your help:]
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    No I usually don't eat my exercise calories and I really drink as much water as I should. I didn't know that not eating the calories that you burnt made you plateau? Wow.
    Thank you so much for your help:]

Yeah, your body begins to say OMG I AM NOT GETTING ANY MORE FOOD! I AM NOT LETTING GO OF ANYTHING ... and then you don't lose.

I am telling you, I am having a hard time eating my exercise calories and have started planning my day differently to accommodate a larger meal at lunch. Look at my food diary yesterday was a mess. I don't usually leave over 500 calories on the "table" ... You will get it ... drink the water and watch sodium and sugars and you will do fine. Just don't give up :)
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    don't give up, remember that even though you are on less calories and working out you are building muscle and muscle weighs more than fat, so you have to remember that when you are calorie counting and exercising, use you tape measure and check to see if your clothes are fitting different.