Do MIRRORS put weight on you?

Options
So, I've noticed how different I appear in different mirrors, in one mirror I will look much thinner than I do in another, and I am wondering WHAT the deal is with this? Lol.

Do certain mirrors put on nonexistent weight? What mirrors are accurate?

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, they do.

One that is flat.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Department store mirrors are the worst. They angle it so you look slimmer in the clothes then once you get them home, bam not so flattering anymore. This never happens to me, I've heard…
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I bought some skinny mirrors at pier 1

AMAZING!!!

I think they are the most flattering and that is all we bought to go in our new house.

and not too expensive either
  • chubaway
    chubaway Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you weigh yourself in a room without a mirror you'll weigh at least 5% less. Or is it the other way around? If you with yourself in a room WITH a mirror you'll weigh 5% more?
  • LionneElle
    Options
    So, how are you to know WHAT mirror is accurate? Lol.. Is there a specific size that is accurate?
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    The mirrors in my gym are fixed. No joke.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    do you mean like this one?

fat-mirror1.jpg
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    No...bacon cheeseburgers do :)
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    For me the camera expands me, especially
    in my middle, which is my grrrr zone. The
    mirror generally is nice .. any of them I find.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    So, how are you to know WHAT mirror is accurate? Lol.. Is there a specific size that is accurate?

You can usually figure out if a mirror is warped or not. I know what I generally look like. I know when I am looking in a mirror that makes me look longer and thinner, and I know when I am looking in a mirror that makes me look shorter and fatter (with a warped looking body proportions). I know what I look like in a lot of different mirrors and on film and in photos. But, sometimes I am unsure in dressing room mirrors about if what I am seeing is real or not. I try to get my husband's opinion at that point (if he's there).
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    No...bacon cheeseburgers do :)

extra bacon and cheese please, hold the lettuce, tomato, veggies make me look heavier than I am
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think mine does. My apartment has paneling all on the walls and doors, so my mirror curves out.
  • whierd
    Options
    I think mine does. My apartment has paneling all on the walls and doors, so my mirror curves out.

Why would the paneling make your mirror curve?
  • tigerlily886
    Options

The mirror is not able to hang up flat. I don't know the exact word for stupid bumps on the wall, lol.
  • whierd
    Options

The mirror is not able to hang up flat. I don't know the exact word for stupid bumps on the wall, lol.

Are you talking about a mirror that is attached on the sides (like some bathroom mirrors) or just a standard mirror that is attached like a painting?
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

the interior designer in me wants to tear that paneling down for you, how awful.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    C'mon, we all know cameras put weight on you.

But yeah, when I visit my parents they have a full-length mirror that must be slightly concave because I look great in it! I know it's not real but I always check myself out in it anyway. :)
  • tigerlily886
    Options

Are you talking about a mirror that is attached on the sides (like some bathroom mirrors) or just a standard mirror that is attached like a painting?

A standard full length mirror that you hang on walls. But I did find another spot for it. Pros, I can check out my form when I exercise, cons, I have to drag my makeup to the next room.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this for so long. I look terrible in my mirror at home that hangs on my door but if I look in a mirror at like a restaurant or in a store I look fine. I think the angle its hanging at has something to do with it too. I just don't know which reflection is accurate T^T
  • tigerlily886
    Options

the interior designer in me wants to tear that paneling down for you, how awful.

This house is awful! It was built in the 1960s. The bathroom is so small, your knees touch the toilet when you are doing your business. And the breaker box and pilot lights are under the house.