Headache, Dizzy, Anxiety... from reducing calories??

Options

Replies

• gera368
    gera368 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience after a week. I added up my calories to 1500 and I feel fine.
    Headache is probably because you don't drink enough.
  • HeinekenMan
    HeinekenMan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get headaches when I don't drink soda. They usually start after 24-36 hours. Dehydration also causes exhaustion, which can lead to dizziness and anxiety. Drink your water. If you don't like plain water, try Crystal Light. You also might need to increase your calories. I had 3-4 days in a row where I had cravings and felt irritable and anxious. I increased my caloric intake for two days. That helped a bunch. And I was able to drop back down to where I wanted to be without any issues.
  • albdusty
    albdusty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too. Went to the doctor and found out my blood sugar reached almost the lowest level acceptable. So i now eat fruits rich in sugar or a small candy. Nectar gets into the blood fast so eating something like a nectarine is a solution.

Also, eating less than your BMR can cause your organs to stop working properly. If your kidneys don't work well a lot of bad things could happen (i know from experience). Also, carbs are not that bad. Increase to at least 1400 cals i would say and eat more carbs.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    I'm 99% sure my blood sugar was extremely low. As soon as I ate a banana I felt ok. This morning I also had a fruit flavored greek yogurt and another banana.. and I felt fine. Wow that was scary though. I will definitely start bringing more carbs in and try to eat a banana every day.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I think you might be eating too little. I weigh 235 lbs and eat 2200 calories/day. Did you calculate your TDEE and BMR? There's a thread called "In place of a roadmap" that explains very well how to get those numbers and what to do with them. I suggest you give it a look. Good luck!
  • thesoup11
    thesoup11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm glad u eat the banana u gotta listen to your body I think u reduced everything to q uick no carbs is no joke
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    May I ask why you are eating so few calories??? At your age,height and weight your BMR is 1760 calories..... How are you figuring your caloric intake needs???
  • trianglesfocus
    trianglesfocus Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This kinda happened to me when I first changed my diet, I went very low carb. I experienced lethargy, anxiety, headrush and mood swings often. Now I eat healthy carbs (such as brown rice) in moderation as part of my diet and I feel a lot better although I am still to find the perfect balance.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this I was wondering the same thing today except I didn't drink or have a lot of caffeine I just started working out more. I feel like I eat enough food like 1600ish cals but I am burning 600-700 and I didn't think about it today that that s leaving me with so little to run on. Im having trouble focusing and feel almost dizzy but no quite it is hard to describe. I eat bread though also oatmeal almost every morning.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Try easing into your diet a bit more slowly.

Going from eating what you want to 1200 a day immediately is a heck of a drastic change. Calculate your calories for a reasonable deficit and try again.

That said, make sure that you are weighing and measuring your food when do so that you are know exactly how much you are eating.
  • metamorphosis17
    Options
    Thanks for posting, I have never had anxiety and have been feeling the same thing. Can't wait for it to stop glad to know I am not alone! :)
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better. It really does sound like you're eating too few calories though. Can we convince you to up them to at least 1500 (given your BMR is over 1700) for now? You won't necessarily lose weight quickly eating fewer calories, and if you plateau you really have no way to safely reduce calories further.
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I also had that happen to me when I was on a clean eating diet that didn't count calories. I ate 6 small meals a day and i was never hungry. I went to the doctor because I was experiencing the same symptoms as you. I showed the doctor my eating plan and she told me that I could not eat any healthier than that but to make sure I was eating at least 1200 calories a day. I got home and added up the calories and it was only totalling 850 - 900 per day. I tried my best to up my calories with healthy foods but I just could not eat that much. As time went on my blood pressure started going crazy. It would go high upon standing and low when I would lay down. The first doctor that I went to put me on BP medicine but told me that I could possibly pass out if my BP went too low, but not to worry I would come back. I thought she was crazy so I got another opinion. The next doctor thought it was just anxiety and wanted me to take antidepressants and I told her NO because the only thing I was really stressed about was what was going on with my body and no one seem to know what was going on. I really thought I was going to die. So I went to another doctor ( I know this sounds crazy) but he sent me to a nephrologist (someone that spealizes in BP issues). He had me to take a very low dose water pill. The very first pill made my heart have even more flutters so he took me off of that because he said that was a sign that my potassium levels were too low. So long story short - I went back to eating whatever and all of my symptoms went away. The down side to this is that I did gain all of my weight back plus 5 lbs. Since then, my sister told me about myfitnesspal. So here I am trying to figure out what works for me but I am definitely making sure that I eat atleast 1200 net calories and get enough potassium each day. My point for telling you all of this is not only could your situation be low calories or low sugar levels, it possibly could be low potassium. Sorry this was so long and detailed but maybe my awful experience with low calories can help you or someone else here.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you aren't eating enough
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ya 1220 is way to few
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me when I cut out alcohol - you might very well be in detox (although it may also be the reduction in carbs and/or not eating enough as others have said).
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking diet drinks that contain aspartame that could be why you are getting headaches. And you could be dehydrated and need more water. Is possible too that your body is detoxing if you had been drinking quite a bit you might still be going thru some of that.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    This happened to me, too. The amount of calories that I dropped to fit the mfp suggestion of 1 lb per week was too dramatic for me. If I had it to do over so as to be both safe and sane (don't want to be driving or at the top of the steps with these things), then I would have one .5 per week for a few weeks, judged my response, and then, if okay, droppped to 1 lb per week. Whatever you choose, safety and health are most important. Weight loss is supposed to be slow and steady anyway.

Good luck!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    The dizziness can also come from dehydration. You should be drinking 1/2 your body weight in water each day.

Um, so a litre of water weighs a kilo and I weigh 66kg so you're saying I should drink 33 litres of water a day? - that's 132 glasses of water, making me short by about 127. I'm pretty sure drinking that much is physically impossible. Eight glasses (2 litres) per day is the recommended amount and even that's up for debate.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The dizziness can also come from dehydration. You should be drinking 1/2 your body weight in water each day.

Um, so a litre of water weighs a kilo and I weigh 66kg so you're saying I should drink 33 litres of water a day? - that's 132 glasses of water, making me short by about 127. I'm pretty sure drinking that much is physically impossible. Eight glasses (2 litres) per day is the recommended amount and even that's up for debate.

agreed....I try to get in a gallon a day but never make it I usually get in 3 liters but I eat a lot of fruit so I know I am getting plenty of liquid without drowning myself.
This discussion has been closed.