Low Carb Dieters

Options
Wasn't sure what to call this thread. But I wanted to see who else on here was doing the low carb diet. There are so many out there I was hoping yall would let me know what yall are doing on your low carb diets, how long you been on them, what results you have had since being on one, how long you plan to be on it, and any recipes or tips you may have about being low carb!

I'm thinking about going on a low carb diet but need to know more about it. I have look online and wow there is so many kinds of low carb diets out there and so many websites!!!! Any thing yall share will be greatly welcome!!!!

Thanks,
Amanda

Replies

• VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I am not on any specific low carb diet. But I do hunt for the lowest calories, sodium, and carbs in all the items I purchase so it does become low carb.

I have somewhat of a carb addiction so it was difficult the first week but once I came to read all the labels at the grocery store and track everything here, it really helped.

I lost weight fast the first two weeks...probably because of the low sodium preventing water weight gain and low carbs. I am still losing but it slowed a little. I've lost around 17 pounds in the past 5 weeks...average it out to 5 pounds a week if you want but its more like 1-2 pounds a week now :) But that's still weight loss so its fine with me.
  • awesome_orchid
    Options
    I did South Beach 6 years ago when it came out. I did lose 20 lb between Aug and Dec. Then came the holidays and man it was not fun to stick to the plan. Carbs are a huge part of holidays, so I began eating some carbs. My body was feeling the effects of never eating rice or bread (dehydration and weakness). Finally, I began to use Curves while staying on a modified low carb diet. I kept down to my goal weight for a couple of years. I also picked up smoking again at THAT time. Now, I have quit smoking for 3 years and have only done this website for a year with no real results. But I do maintain here! Also, I wont go back on South Beach.274650.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I am sort of low carb. I have cut out all the white starchy carbs, so no bread, flour, pasta, rice, potato and no processed sugars (as much as possible) I limit my high GI fruit and don't drink soda or fruit juice.

I do eat a lot of vegetables, nuts, seeds, legumes etc and Heaps of lean protein, eggs, dairy.

I find that the high starchy carbs are wasted calories. They are only really a "carrier" for the rest of the meal (the good bits inside the sandwich etc) so I have either found a replacement (cabbage for pasta, riced cauliflower for rice) or just cut it completely.

I find it much easier to stay within calories if I haven't wasted 600+ each day on the starchy carbs!
  • NewMe80xoxo
    Options
    Thanks so much for yalls advice!!!!!
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I try to stay on a diet that allows all of the food groups that our bodies need. By eating a Low Carb diet, you do not provide sufficient carbohydrates to your body for daily function. Therefore it will start burning the stored carbohydrates (glycogen) for energy. When your body starts burning glycogen, water is released. Therefore the drastic initial drop of weight at the beginning is only water you lose as a result of burning glycogen. I guess it would be okay if you were planning on drastically restricting carbs for the rest of your life, but if you start eating them again the weight comes right back on. I don't mean to be a downer - if you're happy doing it and it's working for you, more power to ya. :-) I just think it's healthier to have a balanced diet and exercise.

Good luck!!
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Options
    Its a fine line - too many carbs is not great for the waistline, and too few carbs is not good for you either. Your brain needs carbs to function, so dramatically cutting out or back on carbs can lead to interesting times....
  • traybo
    Options
    I restrict my carbs. When I first started I used a carb curfew - no starchy carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes) after 6pm. Its meant I fill up on healthier chicken and fish with salads or veg and then fruit or yogurt if still hungry.

Encouraged by the weight loss I now eat carbs (cereal or wholemeal toast and eggs) for breakfast but not for lunch or dinner. At lunch I'll normally have a salad, but if a sandwich or baked potato were the only choice I'd have them rather than go without.

I've lost 86lb in total and have 5 to go to get to goal. When I'm at goal I intend to re-introduce carbs at lunch but still restrict after 6pm so it remains a lifestyle change for me.

Not only has it shifted the pounds but I rarely get cravings for bread, cheese, chocoloate or crisps as I used to. On a weekend I'm a little more relaxed but try and get more excercise if I'm eating carbs.