eating at night

Options
Does the time of the day that you consume your calories really make a difference? I am a night eater.... Is this going to sabotage my weight loss?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference at all as long as you stick to your calorie budget.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Agreed. If you try it and are getting results - and it works for you - then it was not broken. I say eat at night - count the calories - and if it works it works.

It's an old diet myth IMO. I work late - so if I didn't eat after 6P or whatever the diet pumpkin hour is now - I'd be really hungry. I try to save calories towards my night so I can eat at night.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Jesus ate at night and Jesus was RIPPED.

146110069_5100727239_z.jpg?zz=1
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to eat at night for a few reasons.

1.) Are you expending most of your day and your calories in the day time?

If you're awake in the daytime and expending most of your energy, it should also be the time that you eat the majority of your calories. Waiting for late in the day/night seems like you're rewarding yourself with food or overeating for some other purpose.

2.) Are you eating at night because you're bored or stressed?

Why are you eating so much at night? Is it because you have a lot of time on your hands or are nervous? A lot of people eat because they're bored rather than have a hobby or some other activity to do instead. Do you sew? Embroider? Write? Draw? Latch-hook? Start a hobby to keep your mind and hands active and see if that stops much of the night eating.

3.) Are you getting up at night to eat?

This I think is the worst thing to do. If you're in bed, food time is over. Getting up at night to night isn't a good idea. I really think this is about stress-eating or compulsive eating.
  • kkdelduca
    Options
    Some people are just night owls. So what. If works for you, then great.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm eating right now. I can't imagine why it'd suddenly have some kind of negative effect.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you're within your calorie goal.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If your gonna eat something sweet and then go to bed, then yeah it's a bad idea. If your a night owl who will be up for awhile after you eat then, there's wrong with it. I wouldn't recommend you eat a few hours before going to bed.
    that's just me!!
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've seen studies saying you may lose 'more' weight eating earlier in the day, like eating a bigger breakfast and smaller dinner vs the other way around while eating the same amount of calories.

But I eat most of my food later at night, like 2 am, and I am still losing just fine. If you are losing eating later at night, then I would keep up what you've been doing. As long as you are accurately tracking everything you are eating, you should be just fine!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Does the time of the day that you consume your calories really make a difference? I am a night eater.... Is this going to sabotage my weight loss?

No, you will not sabotage it. Eat when you wish, based on preference, adherence and energy levels. This will far outweigh any possible insignificant benefits that *may* result in manipulation of meal timing.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference at all as long as you stick to your calorie budget.

^^this
  • sarildia
    sarildia Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It will. I eat at night also and I also am an emotional eater and I am having a real struggle with both of these habits. I tend to eat light during the day because I don't like to interupt what ever I am doing to eat and especially to prepare something healthy then I end up eating more at night and sometimes I end up going to bed with a full stomach which is a surefire diet no no. I am looking for someone to help me get motivated and to help me break these habits. I am staying close to my calorie limit but not exact. Sarildia
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

If you're awake in the daytime and expending most of your energy, it should also be the time that you eat the majority of your calories. Waiting for late in the day/night seems like you're rewarding yourself with food or overeating for some other purpose.

Why are you eating so much at night? Is it because you have a lot of time on your hands or are nervous? A lot of people eat because they're bored rather than have a hobby or some other activity to do instead. Do you sew? Embroider? Write? Draw? Latch-hook? Start a hobby to keep your mind and hands active and see if that stops much of the night eating.

This I think is the worst thing to do. If you're in bed, food time is over. Getting up at night to night isn't a good idea. I really think this is about stress-eating or compulsive eating.

This is just bull**** and flies in the face of basic science. If you put 50 bucks in your bank account, and withdraw 60 bucks, you are down ten dollars regardless of what time of day you pulled out the cash.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

When you expend your energy is irrelevant when looking at net fat oxidation over the whole day/night.

I eat at night as I prefer it that way and I hit my calorie and macro targets easier.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It will. I eat at night also and I also am an emotional eater and I am having a real struggle with both of these habits. I tend to eat light during the day because I don't like to interupt what ever I am doing to eat and especially to prepare something healthy then I end up eating more at night and sometimes I end up going to bed with a full stomach which is a surefire diet no no. I am looking for someone to help me get motivated and to help me break these habits. I am staying close to my calorie limit but not exact. Sarildia

There is nothing wrong with going to bed full unless it affects your sleep. In fact, it helps many people sleep. I know I will not get to sleep easily if hungry.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If your gonna eat something sweet and then go to bed, then yeah it's a bad idea. If your a night owl who will be up for awhile after you eat then, there's wrong with it. I wouldn't recommend you eat a few hours before going to bed.
    that's just me!!

Why?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

There is nothing wrong with going to bed full unless it affects your sleep. In fact, it helps many people sleep. I know I will not get to sleep easily if hungry.

Exactly THIS. I can normally put myself down for the night by concentrating my carbs in the evening meal. I get a food coma right on time.

Do my progress pics look like this is a problem?
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm frequently still eating at 1AM, and this is generally Magnum Ice creams and protein bars
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options

This is just bull**** and flies in the face of basic science. If you put 50 bucks in your bank account, and withdraw 60 bucks, you are down ten dollars regardless of what time of day you pulled out the cash.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

So, people don't eat because they're bored or out of habit?