Advice on clothes for job interview.

Options
Hey guys, not sure if this is in the right place or not.

I've got a few job interviews coming up and I'm really struggling to know what to wear as I have never been to a job interview overweight before. (Im around a size 14 NZ atm). Has anyone whos had this problem found any types of clothes etc that might make me look smaller but still professional and modern / my age.

I feel like all I wear now are jeans and baggy clothes as they cover me up!

Any advice or photos would be much appreciated!

Probably should add that the jobs are youth pastor jobs so dont need to be fully professional and its winter / spring here. :)

Replies

• jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about specific cuts of clothes that can make you look "smaller." However, I would shop for some clothes that truly fit your body shape and are not baggy and shapeless. Depending on the job, I would stick with some type of suit with a structured jacket. I would stay away from button up shirts underneath, unless you have a smaller chest, as it can make you look stuffy.
  • FarAway02
    FarAway02 Posts: 211
    Options
    Smart black trousers, which ever cut is most flattering on you (for me I have them tight to my thighs and then a slight flare at the bottom), with a white blouse. You can find something that swoops over your stomach or something with a few ruffles to distract attention if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Depending on what the weather is like you can team it with a smart jacket and/or a black or white light, floaty scarf.
  • YellowSummerRoom
    YellowSummerRoom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I dread wearing job interview clothes! If it doesn't have to be super formal then smart black trousers and a plain top should do you just fine!

My big advice would be to wear something a size or two bigger than you actually are so you're 100% comfortable in it. Also - if you can - avoid shirt s that button up. This mightn't be a problem for you but personally, I find (being a bigger breasted girl myself) that there's always a danger of gapage and bra exposure. Remember you'll have to sit down probably and there's no certainty youll be able to hide behind a desk so the main thing is to make sure you're 100% comfortable with whatever you wear.
  • jessiefied
    jessiefied Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just be comfortable. I always felt smothered in a suit (expected in my job) and so or interviews i always wore smart trousers a top with matching accessories and a cute soft jacket. It's how you perform in the interview and not the way you dress so don't let your clothes hold you back :-)

Remember its more than just your clothes though. One other thing that people really notice is cleanliness - are your fingernails clean, you hair combed and your shoes shined? This sends a bit of a message about how much attention you give to things or how organised you are. May not be that important for A youth pastor job but it's advice I have stuck to with every job interview I've been to. It's also something that comes back to me whenever I am interviewing people now....good luck!
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I always go for trouser suit and smart stretch top underneath. Usually grey or black.

http://www.next.co.uk/women/tailored-looks/salon/8

This kind of thing but I prefer a darker grey or black
  • gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just be comfortable. I always felt smothered in a suit (expected in my job) and so or interviews i always wore smart trousers a top with matching accessories and a cute soft jacket. It's how you perform in the interview and not the way you dress so don't let your clothes hold you back :-)

Remember its more than just your clothes though. One other thing that people really notice is cleanliness - are your fingernails clean, you hair combed and your shoes shined? This sends a bit of a message about how much attention you give to things or how organised you are. May not be that important for A youth pastor job but it's advice I have stuck to with every job interview I've been to. It's also something that comes back to me whenever I am interviewing people now....good luck!
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should discount dresses/skirts as they can be really flattering and don't need to look stuffy. They can also hide a multitude of sins!

A knee length A-line skirt with a V-neck jumper would look great, the skirt could be cord to make it less formal. You could wear with boots or flats.

A wrap around dress would go with a semi-smart jacket, or again an A-line dress.

When I was larger I always found that dresses/skirts made me feel much slimmer than trousers which either looked too tight or too baggy.

Good luck with the interviews!