If you could pick just 1 food to be homegrown...

Options
I grew up with a garden and miss having that. I LOOOOOOVE homegrown tomatoes. Have never had a store-bought one that tastes half as good. If I could have a garden and could only grow 1 thing, that would be it. What about you?

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I really miss blackboy peaches. We had a great tree, but it collapsed during a huge snow and no supermarkets ever sell them.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I miss eating fresh dill from my grandpa's garden. He'd send us out to grab some goodies for lunch or to play and his last words as my sister and I ran out the door was "And you girls stop eating all my dill!"
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Strawberries. I am lucky because my mother and father in law have a great garden and we have a wonderful farmers market every Wednesday evening and Saturday morning.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Basically any of the stuff I've got growing but haven't got a harvest from would be nice. Although I did just have a homegrown salad dressed with orange juice fresh off the tree.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I grow lots of fruit and veg but if I had to pick one which simply doesn't compare to its shop bought self, it has to be Sweetcorn. When picked straight off the plant it is so sweet and juicy it's beautiful eaten raw there and then............absolutely delicious!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Pizza.

If I could grow pizza, I would no longer have to worry about eating something "unclean."

luls.

In all seriousness, if I could grow something, it'd be avocados. Georgia doesn't quite have the environment for that.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    I wish I had a pizza tree

Gorramm it! You said it before me. :(

Great minds!
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Cow - I would grow my own cow - or bacon...
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of Red and Yellow Bell Peppers. They can get quite expensive. Or maybe Butter Lettuce. That stuff is high priced as well. Those are the things I wish I could grow.

For the record, I think it's really better that I don't have a Pizza tree!
  • alpen1
    alpen1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tomatoes and green beans. We started a small garden a couple of years ago, and it it took a couple of seasons to get any good at it. Now we landed on growing beans, tomatoes, zucinni, carrots, lettuce, and onions (and a bunch of herbs). Its amazing now that we can't eat everything it produces this time of year.
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Jack Daniels

jack daniels and coke
  • daisygeep
    Options
    I do have a garden. A HUGE garden! There is nothing like a homegrown tomato!!! I also love having fresh herbs.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I miss eating fresh dill from my grandpa's garden. He'd send us out to grab some goodies for lunch or to play and his last words as my sister and I ran out the door was "And you girls stop eating all my dill!"

Oooh, love dill from when my parents grew it when I was a kid and we'd can our own pickles. Never just ate it straight though.....

On a side note, I would pay good money for a "tomato stem candle", I absolutely love the smell of it when it gets on my hands while picking.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Saffron. I'd sell the hell out of it. Organic, hand raised, lovingly weeded, blah blah blah, whatever would up the value.
  • VeeSis
    VeeSis Posts: 23
    Options
    Blueberries. I grew up in Maine and we picked tons of 'em. Now I have to buy them, both crazily overpriced and not nearly as sweet and tasty. But I buy them because of all the fruits, berries are the highest in antioxidants, fiber and lowest in calories and carbs.
  • VeeSis
    VeeSis Posts: 23
    Options
    We eat a lot of Red and Yellow Bell Peppers. They can get quite expensive. Or maybe Butter Lettuce. That stuff is high priced as well. Those are the things I wish I could grow.

For the record, I think it's really better that I don't have a Pizza tree!

The first sentence I so totally agree with. The second made me laugh out loud. Thanks!
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    basil, tomatoes and bell peppers. So far, I'm doing well with the basil. The tomatoes and bell peppers wouldn't grow. Maybe next year. I have a random seedling growing out of the compost pile. I can't wait to see what it is!

Oh, and avocados. Most definitely avocados. Grandaddy had a tree, and now I do, too. It's about two feet tall. It's at the point I have to transplant it. *cross your fingers*

(And, yes, I know that's more than one...)
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Saffron. I'd sell the hell out of it. Organic, hand raised, lovingly weeded, blah blah blah, whatever would up the value.

Yes! This! Very good idea. So very expensive. And now, of course, I want this pasta dish that features it as a main part of the sauce. :noway: :glasses: