The Hay's diet, or food combining

Options
Can anybody give me any information on this? I've heard of it and am thinking of putting my son on it. He has eosinophilic esophagitus and has suffered from severe stomach pains for the past six months. The doctors can not determine why, because his stomach looks perfectly normal after two scopes--the damage is in the esophagus. He can't sleep or even rest for the pain and nothing we've tried (since February, when it began) has provided him with any relief. Currently he's being treated by the Chronic Pain Centre at Sick Kid's Hospital, in Toronto. So far, no improvement.

The main problem is trying to put a child with multiple allergies (he has 5 major allergies and a few less common ones) on this diet. I'd like more information, hopefully from people who've tried it and know how sustainable/successful it is. There doesn't seem to be much flexibility. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Replies

• liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think this is something you should probably take up with your son's doctor or a nutritionist.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    He's seeing so many different doctors already (about 6) that I hesitate to try to find yet another one and fit him/her into my son's already overloaded medical schedule. I was just interested in finding out if anyone had tried this and found success with it, and if so, getting any suggestions that I could adapt for him. The information on the internet is skimpy and occasionally contradictory. So I hoped that maybe someone here had tried it and could tell me a bit more.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to input except that googling might help you find better online support than on this website. In fact, I found a blog started by another mom with a son suffering from the same condition and it looks like she's got a lot of great resources on there. Check it out... And good luck!

http://eosmom.blogspot.com/p/eosinophilic-support-groups.html
  • rosalang
    rosalang Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i did the hay diet (food combining) a number of years ago and lost a bit of weight but did it mostly for health reasons and to feel better. this it definately does but it can take some time. there are a number of books about it and the principal is not mixing starches with proteins and later on when you have got used to that looking at the acid/alkaline balances in the food and how it helps us heal when out ph balance isnt right.
    read up as much as you can and take each stage slowly as it isnt easy especially when you go out. but if you prepare ahead you shouldnt falter. this seems a bit of a pfaff but for health reasons can be worth it. you wont get it right first time, but stick to it and you will be rewarded.
    someone on mfp said she was told her hair would fall out so she stopped. it should in fact do the opposite if you pay attention to eating wholesome foods and not junk.
    we all slip but i can recommend it
    really it is going back to a very simple way of eating which i can remember in my childhood, so add me as a friend if you like and you can update me on your sons progress.
    you could also ask a naturapath for support as doctors dont know much about it and dont like to discuss it
    but we have to take our lives into our own hands and try and find out what works for us
    sorry for the long ramble, but i too am just starting the hay diet again because of digestive problems in the hope i can improve mine and persuade my daughter who has the same problems to give it a try
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    He's seeing so many different doctors already (about 6) that I hesitate to try to find yet another one and fit him/her into my son's already overloaded medical schedule. I was just interested in finding out if anyone had tried this and found success with it, and if so, getting any suggestions that I could adapt for him. The information on the internet is skimpy and occasionally contradictory. So I hoped that maybe someone here had tried it and could tell me a bit more.

You should still talk to one of his doctors.

People on this site can offer you anecdotal evidence - basically their opinions based on their experiences. That wouldn't be enough for me when faced with a serious medical condition like your son has. Expert medical opinions are definitely the way to go.
  • liisa23
    liisa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Honestly, doctors are not trained in nutrition. If you are in Toronto, there are quite a few great Holistic Nutritionists out there who would do a world of help, and aren't as expensive as a naturopath. I graduated from a school in Vancouver that's originally from Toronto, and we are not only trained in Holistic Nutrition (healing the body through food), but we are also trained in Orthomolecular Biology....basically understanding what food does inside the body down to the very basic level. Food combining is very helpful for very many reasons, but it could be other stuff, like the pesticides sprayed on food that irritate his esophagus. I would seek out a Holistic Nutritionist in your area.

Good Luck! :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of the Hay's diet, but can I assume that you have already done an elimination diet to find out what foods may be causing the inflammation? Gluten is one of the top foods that cause it, and generally the first thing to eliminate, along with diary and soy. Processed sugars cause inflammation for me, along with wheat gluten and many other grains.
    Hope you get some answers. It is so hard to watch our kiddos suffer.