What to eat before going into gym to build muscle?

Options
Is there anything I should be eating before I go in to the gym to build muscle??

Replies

• frodo2604
    Options
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Depends on your energy level. You dont want to go to the gym full or hungry. Sometimes i eat just 1 whole egg about 1/2 hr before i hit the gym. Other times nothing. You dont really want to lift heavy if you intend on putting on muscle MASS. Mass is more of a strict form. Higher reps then heavy weight. 8-12 reps that is. Limited rest times usually between 30sec and 1 min. Legs are actually different, they require more TOT. time over tension. Meaning you have to do more reps to get the equal benefit, after all you are on your legs all the time they need more stimulation. 15-25 reps. If you can consume your protein after your workout to feed the muscles you just worked. it is advised to consume 1g of protein for every pound of body weight you have. If your just starting out, Use compound movements as a foundation. Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press are the basics of building your body, they work multiple muscles at once and helps with overall Mass.
  • evgenythe2nd
    evgenythe2nd Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    eat clen, tren hard

edit: dont eat clen or tren hard until you are 25 and lifted for several years consistently and reached your maximum natty peak
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Depends on your energy level. You dont want to go to the gym full or hungry. Sometimes i eat just 1 whole egg about 1/2 hr before i hit the gym. Other times nothing. You dont really want to lift heavy if you intend on putting on muscle MASS. Mass is more of a strict form. Higher reps then heavy weight. 8-12 reps that is. Limited rest times usually between 30sec and 1 min. Legs are actually different, they require more TOT. time over tension. Meaning you have to do more reps to get the equal benefit, after all you are on your legs all the time they need more stimulation. 15-25 reps. If you can consume your protein after your workout to feed the muscles you just worked. it is advised to consume 1g of protein for every pound of body weight you have. If your just starting out, Use compound movements as a foundation. Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press are the basics of building your body, they work multiple muscles at once and helps with overall Mass.

Wait, what?

You are recommending that he doesn't lift heavy? Because lifting heavy doesn't add mass?

So by your theory when I'm squating, you are saying that I should be doing maybe 15-25 reps of 145 lbs instead of doing 4-7 reps of 225 lbs? Explain this in greater depth please.

Didn't you know bro? Lifting 5 lb pink dumbbells for 100 reps is how you build mass.
  • james6998
    Options
    I didnt say light weight either. 50%-70% of 1 rep max is most likely a good place to start. Taking into consideration if he has any past weight lifting experiences. It takes a bit just to properly contract the muscles you are working. Form when building mass is the most important factor but you cant be sissy on the weight either. Weight should be chosen that you can do proper form and yet still fail between the set reps. Heavy weight low reps builds strength. Mass and strength are 2 different animals. True you need to get stronger to lift more, but thats a 2 stage process. I was a power lifter for 15 years. I do know the difference between strength and mass. You want to just get strong its not hard. 1-5 rep sets, eat everything and anything u want and you will get stronger. Might not look very fit, but u will be strong as an ox.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Eat carbs for extra energy at the gym like an hour or an hour and a half before.
  • james6998
    Options
    Eat carbs for extra energy at the gym like an hour or an hour and a half before.
    Agree, my bad for getting off topic.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

I train fasted, does this mean I'll lift less? Nope.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    water
  • frodo2604
    Options
    Ahaa thanks guys :)
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    I run twice a day (Currently training for a race, this isn't year round), and I do it fasted in the morning about 30 minutes after I wake up. Afternoon is when I hit my second run/lift boulders kid.
    What I eat before a workout (30 minutes-1 hour):
    -1/2 or a whole Banana
    -Scoop of whey
    -Cup of some black *kitten* coffee
    ASAP After:
    -1/2 of Banana if I didn't eat the whole thing before (Usually do)
    -Fat protein shake
    Then after an hour or so is usually when I can get my post workout meal in.
    If you're lifting like a man, eat like a man. Eat big and get gains yo
  • frodo2604
    Options
    Thanks man, i know what to have after I have been training (protein shakes .etc.) i was just unsure whether to have anything before a workout:)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I didnt say light weight either. 50%-70% of 1 rep max is most likely a good place to start. Taking into consideration if he has any past weight lifting experiences. It takes a bit just to properly contract the muscles you are working. Form when building mass is the most important factor but you cant be sissy on the weight either. Weight should be chosen that you can do proper form and yet still fail between the set reps. Heavy weight low reps builds strength. Mass and strength are 2 different animals. True you need to get stronger to lift more, but thats a 2 stage process. I was a power lifter for 15 years. I do know the difference between strength and mass. You want to just get strong its not hard. 1-5 rep sets, eat everything and anything u want and you will get stronger. Might not look very fit, but u will be strong as an ox.

ermmmm, you still cause hypertrophy even in the 1-5 rep range. And you can get stronger without adding any weight as well....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Is there anything I should be eating before I go in to the gym to build muscle??
    You build muscle on rest days and not while working out, therefore your "rest" meals are more prevalent for this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

The nearest vegan.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Your rest day builds muscle......and make sure to eat enough then as well.