Work-Related Exercise

Options
Question...

Would any of you consider working at subway and standing/moving around for 6 hours as exercise? I work evenings most nights at Subway and work 6 hours with approximately a 15 minute lunch break where I am sitting for that time. How could I input those 6 hours into "exercise"? Or would it not be considered as "exercise"?

Thoughts?

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    When you set your goals and it asks you if you are sedentary, lightly active or moderately active, etc.... you should select the one that is most fitting and it calculates your BMR based on that. You would not count that as exercise.
  • MaybeImNot
    MaybeImNot Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lightly active lifestyle :-) under your goals.
  • Dawn_2013
    Options
    When you set up your profile you would choose Active which would give you more calories a day, which works like 'exercise calories.' :flowerforyou:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    In my opinion anything out of the ordinary would count as exercise. If you would have to work a double shift I would count half the second shift as exercise...walking slow pace 2mph or some such. I wouldn't eat the extra calories though. The normal shift would be accounted for in your activity level choice. It will be your decision.

Good Luck!
  • Redrose86
    Options
    Yes, I would consider it exercise. I work in a retail clothing store, and I am literally helping customers, and walking around the store returning items to where they are supposed to be. It's a lot of work physically. I would say that being on your feet all day does make you burn more calories.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Look up "standing" in card exercises. It comes up with fishing and playing the guitar... What you do at work is somewhat similar to fishing...
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You have two options: you can set yourself to lightly active/active in the goals section or you can set yourself at sedentary and add in the amount of time you spend doing certain activities each day. I actually prefer the later, but it's a personal choice. I like that on days when I am lazy and get nothing done I don't have the extra calories and that I do have extra calories on days when I am especially active. Do what works best for you :)
  • macgirl1906
    Options
    When you set your goals and it asks you if you are sedentary, lightly active or moderately active, etc.... you should select the one that is most fitting and it calculates your BMR based on that. You would not count that as exercise.

Subway isn't my "main" job--I should have mentioned that in my post.

Monday-Friday I work for a County Organization and mostly SIT for 6 hours. I do leave for 1 hour at lunch and go out to my Moms. I usually clean while I'm there--otherwise, I am sitting some more...

I work at Subway approximately 3-4 nights a week.

I can't put down that I have 2 jobs... Where one requires NO MOVEMENT and the other is CONSTANT MOVEMENT....

This is my dilemma...
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options

Subway isn't my "main" job--I should have mentioned that in my post.

Monday-Friday I work for a County Organization and mostly SIT for 6 hours. I do leave for 1 hour at lunch and go out to my Moms. I usually clean while I'm there--otherwise, I am sitting some more...

I work at Subway approximately 3-4 nights a week.

I can't put down that I have 2 jobs... Where one requires NO MOVEMENT and the other is CONSTANT MOVEMENT....

This is my dilemma...

That information shared, I could see counting some of your Subway on your feet time as exercise. I say only part, because in the long run your goal is to lose weight, not to balance your MFP account. I would also suggest that you still find a more "formal" method of exercise to add to your routine rather than considering your work for this, as you really need cardio and strength building exercises to further your weight loss efforts. Good luck to you on your journey and kudos to you for working 2 jobs! That is a hard life.