Is keeping the calories low enough?

Options
I'm a 30 year old man who started this 5 weeks ago at 87kg with the intention of getting down to 80kg. I have had some results so far but am still a bit unhappy with aspects of my 'progress'.

I have been following a 1800 calories per day plan and in the 1st 3 weeks I noticed a significant drop in weight around my chest, legs and arms. I have also received quite a few positive comments regarding my weight loss.

However, in the last 2 weeks I feel the progress is slowing despite me sticking to the low calories. I am thinking that one reason for this is that I have been eating a bit more meat than I normally do. Another might be a small increase in beer drinking (replacing food calories) and a slight decrease in exercise brought about by my schedule. However, I have been under my calories.

The issue is that I my belly/love handles seem bigger than before. I know they aren't but I have lost relatively less weight around there. Any tips or feedback?

BTW, I have not weighed myself, I have lost size and know this from measuring...

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    If you've lost some weight.. the body might rest a week or two then drop more. It is a process..so just keep moving forward.

also..when you lose weight on your arms and legs..then the stomach seems to be bigger. i know how that goes. you just have to keep losing until the fat comes off the mid section.
  • pano2013
    Options
    I guess I'll see regarding the first point. And I fully agree regarding the second!
  • Charliebarleymo
    Options
    Basically no, it is not enough for long term health and weight loss, although it is a great start. I would add in some exercise and ditch the beer!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well depending on how much weight you have lost your calories could be going down....

I have lost 5lbs and my calories decreased...not by much but still a decrease......

As for your love handles etc...weight training often helps build the muscle and burn the fat..that's where I am headed.

Keep in mind if you still have actual weight to loose and want to start lifting eat in a deficet and you will still loose...