Need Help Deciding What Program To Use

Options
I am a beginner excerciser. I don't excercise at all right now and need to change that desperately. I've tried in the past and have failed to stay motivated at it. I'm hoping I can stay motivated this time, since my motivation is my 4 month old daughter.

My question is: what workout program/DVDs do I need to use as a beginner excersiser that won't be too difficult and make me want to quit? I have a huge problem with staying motivated, so I need something that will get me moving, but not discourage me because I "can't do it".

My diet isn't ideal, but it's alright. My main problem is not excersising. I prefer a program that uses little-no equipment, as I'm on a tight budget and don't have a lot of room.

Thank you so much for your help. Here's to staying motivated to get in shape in time to chase my little girl around and keep up with her! (:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Look for the book "You Are Your Own Gym" - it's a great bodyweight strength training program.

Also, if you are looking for cardio recommendations, there are tons of free/cheap apps you can use for running. They all work on the premise of combining walking & running in intervals until you can run a complete distance (such as a 5k - 3.1 miles).

For DVDs, I've done a few Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, and Biggest Loser dvds before. They were ok. But, it gets old doing the same thing over and over. People will tell you that these dvds are strength training since you use light weights with some of them, but they aren't. They're cardio programs. True strength training is progressively loading, meaning that the work increases as you progress. The dvd programs are static. Good for a cardio, heart pumping workout, bad for strength training (which is what makes you look good naked).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    What about just going for walks every other day then go up to 6 days a week, then longer and faster, then think about joining a gym or getting a video program?
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You don't need a silly DVD to get started.

you don't need to pay a lot of money to join a gym..

just use your body to exercise..its not that hard.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Look for the book "You Are Your Own Gym" - it's a great bodyweight strength training program.

Also, if you are looking for cardio recommendations, there are tons of free/cheap apps you can use for running. They all work on the premise of combining walking & running in intervals until you can run a complete distance (such as a 5k - 3.1 miles).

For DVDs, I've done a few Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper, and Biggest Loser dvds before. They were ok. But, it gets old doing the same thing over and over. People will tell you that these dvds are strength training since you use light weights with some of them, but they aren't. They're cardio programs. True strength training is progressively loading, meaning that the work increases as you progress. The dvd programs are static. Good for a cardio, heart pumping workout, bad for strength training (which is what makes you look good naked).

I agree. I really liked You Are Your Own Gym (you can buy the app with workout programs/videos for about $3) but it I did have to start altering the workouts after about 6 weeks. They ask you to use your door for a lot of arm workouts and it turns out that a cheap apartment door will break if you put any pressure on it. I double-checked and broke a second one off its hinges during my next work (just to be sure!) It's a great program and the only equipment is stuff you have around the house.

I think its important to have a program that challenges you and you should put your mindset as "I can't do this today but maybe the next workout I'll be able to" Some workouts are too hard to complete the first time around but after you work at it for a few weeks, you'll be amazed at how much better you become at it. In my opinion, that's how I know a program is working.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you want to do videos, check out bodyrock.tv or youtube. No sense in spending money on one if u dont need to
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The original Beachbody Power 90 dvd set is beginner friendly. It has two dvds, beginner (level 1-2) and more advanced (level 3-4). The more advanced level is almost the same, just with a few additional moves and more sets. You have both a cardio routine and a separate "strength training" routine which uses light hand weights. I am able to do both in my tiny 5' x 8' space. Since it is old (came out around 2001 I think) you can probably find it cheap on eBay. One caveat is the cardio does have some high impact moves and too many (for me at least) "knee-up" moves. I simply follow along with my own modified low impact moves. So long as you keep moving and add bigger arm movements you are still burning calories without jumping.

Also, many workout routines are posted on YouTube so you can try many different things to see what you like. And, my local library has dvds to borrow and I have done that to find out if I liked one before spending money on it. Good luck to you!
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    This is exactly how I started... Walking. My walks got faster as I challenged myself to hit certain "markers". Now I enjoy kickboxing and boot camp.
    What about just going for walks every other day then go up to 6 days a week, then longer and faster, then think about joining a gym or getting a video program?
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have suggested walking. If you don't exercise much and are looking for something that is simple, easy, and will keep you motivated, there is nothing that beats walking. Best thing about it is you can take your daughter with you so you can get her into the habit of exercising from an early age.

I started at 20 minutes a day and within a few months was walking an hour to and an hour from work every day that I could. From there it was a simple step to start running. Then and only then did I feel motivated enough to start on strength training, and I am still just a beginner with that.

I found that it was much easier to say "I'm going to take a 20 minute walk" every day than take the time to look up programs and exercises that I didn't really understand the benefits of anyway.

Of course, we're all different, but I found this to be the most effective way to get myself going and I now get up early in the mornings so I can get a good run in before I head to work.
  • priya1906
    Options
    Is it possible to lose weight by jogging 6 days a week ?
  • troselj
    troselj Posts: 6
    Options
    Totally agree with the start of walking. Not only will you get some exercise but your 4 month old will love being outdoors.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

That's your starter right there and what I am doing (as well as trying to get the garden into some sort of shape), having a dog gives me extra motivation but why not put your little one in a push chair and go for it. If you can get to an area where there are no traffic issues listen to some music or an audio book while walking and you'll be surprised with the distances you end up doing
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If you're an absolute beginner, neighborhood walks are good! Also, for a video, try one of Leslie Sansone's 'Walk Away the Pounds'. It's very light aerobic exercise, and a great way to get into more intense exercises down the road. I started with walking (outside, and at a gym) and used the WATP videos. I'm doing things like TurboFire and ChaLEAN Extreme now. It took a while to build up, but I got there. Best wishes!
  • louisegibbs85
    louisegibbs85 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with everybody else, start by walking......I love walking. If I need something from the shop I'll go one further away,get my little girl in the pram and pushing it works my arms out too whilst she sleeps, Other than that I use the 10minutes solutions DVDs, cheap and each section is ten minutes long and you can pick and choose which sections to do. :)
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My primary exercise when I started was walking, and it still is. I may have incorporated C25K and regular weight lifting, but when it comes down to exercise calories the majority of mine are still from walking.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    www.fitnessblender.com has a ton of free videos too. Just search for beginner, low impact or something like pilates, toning, weight bearing exercises for excellent beginner stuff.
  • riveroflight
    Options
    I have the perfect thing. Rusty Moore's Visual Impact programs are easy to understand and to stick to, and got me great results. I'll send you my personal before and after if you like. You will work, but it's not total 'insanity'. Rusty really understands the body and what people really want their bodies to look like (ie lean, not bodybuilder-swollen) and exactly how to produce that, intelligently. Also, you get the understanding that lets you tweak your workout for what you actually want. Find out more about it here:

www.hotfitbody.com

This will help you if you use it. Warmly, -Me.
  • rosyketh
    Options
    Hi Chelsie,

As a working mom myself, i used to face the similar challenges to balance my diet with my exercise as well, due to busy schedule. After 6 weeks into this program i realized that the best solution would be to customize both my workout and diet. Something useful that you might refer

http://insanebodyshape.com/

This helps me to see result in a reasonably short period of time, and i believe it will motivate you to persist as well :wink:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Starting with walking is great, if you live somewhere the weather permits. Zumba is fun, as is swimming. Lots of people have had good success with c25k (couch to 5k) and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred as a beginner program. Yoga could be good too.

The trick is to find something you like doing- that's the only way you'll stay dedicated.

Good luck!