iTurned 55 & Took Control of My Health

Options
Kevintron2
Kevintron2 Posts: 101 Member
40679646_6513.jpg

In October of 2011 I turned 55 years old and weighed-in at 352 pounds. Since then I've lost 160 pounds and 22" off my waist. Here's my story...

I was miserable when I was large, but I would never admit it. I can remember looking at myself in the mirror thinking how wonderful it would be to just wake up one morning, healthy and physically fit. I avoided circumstances that would make me feel uncomfortable or that may cause me embarrassment.

Now I'm able to do anything I want! I maintain a healthy lifestyle and I do a variety of workouts which include Body Sculpting, Cycling, Kickboxing, Spinning, Swimming, Walking, and ZUMBA. Thanks to my new diet and plenty of exercise, I’m in great physical condition and I’m finally healthy. On October 13th of 2011 I weighed in at 352 lbs. A year later, I had my annual cardiology follow-up appointment and I weighed in at 235 lbs. In one year, I’ve lost 117 pounds and 18 inches off my waist, I’ve completely stopped smoking, I’ve cut my blood sugar and cholesterol levels by more than half, and I no longer have sleep apnea.

My road to better health began with a visit to my father in a nursing home September of 2011. Seeing his poor quality of life was a huge wake-up call for me, my 'Aha' moment. On the return trip home I decided to become healthy. That week I stopped smoking and started walking. But when I walked, I experienced unbearable arm pain, which brought tears to my eyes and forced me to stop, and shortness of breath would leave me gasping for air. I made an appointment at the VA Medical Center for a checkup, where I weighed in at 352 pounds. I never exercised, and smoked 2½ packs-a-day for 30 years. I was in terrible physical condition.

I was informed that all of my levels were extremely high, and was diagnosed as being Super Morbidly Obese with Type II diabetes. My doctor thought my arm pain was due to nerve damage caused by high blood sugar. I was prescribed insulin and five oral medications for blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol. I began a low-carbohydrate diet and I continued walking. My arm pain continued, and I still couldn’t get enough air. I posted about my experiences on Facebook, where friends commented that my symptoms might be cardio-related. I contacted my physician again and she scheduled me for a stress test, revealing an 80% blockage in my circumflex coronary artery and a stint was put in that afternoon. I was lucky in that I just fit inside the MRI tunnel, and on the table in the heart catheterization lab. I was released from the VA Medical Center on Thanksgiving Day.

Getting a stint was extremely scary for me, but only fueled my determination to get healthy. I was now getting plenty of oxygenated blood to my heart. I attended a Cardiac Rehab Program, and gradually strengthened my heart with a variety of exercises. I began posting on Facebook for accountability and encouragement, and I started taking ZUMBA classes after I read an article about a man that lost 100 pounds due to ZUMBA. I decided that I need to lose more, and I did just that.

I no longer take medications for blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol and I woke up this morning healthy and physically fit!

Please follow the link below and share my story and vote that CNN post it. I would like to inspire as many people as I can to become healthy and physically fit.

[url] http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-1016450[/url]

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an amazing story! Congrats on taking control!
  • PJBisbee
    PJBisbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great Story! Congrats!!
  • cmsgrant
    cmsgrant Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations , and keep up the good work!
    :happy:
    37434958 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Your amazing Kevin!!! :D Congratulations and keep up the AMAZING work!! <3
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    that is awesome! :) congrats!
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great story. Congrats on your lifestyle change!!
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Awesome transformation and story! Congrats!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! You look great! I just voted and left a comment on CNN! Hope they carry your story!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new life and congratulations on your journey I believe now you feel as good as you look. The freedom being fit represents is a wonderful thing and you will enjoy it.
    I understand avoiding as I did it till I was 60 checking restaurants online to see pictures of the chairs and tables to make sure I could fit in the chair and move the table to give space to my stomach, not doing anything that involved walking more than short distances being a literal prisoner.
    Once again good job on your new life
    Good Health and Good Losing
    Ken
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Your story is both touching and inspiring Kevintron! Very happy for you. It is a pleasure to share in your new healthy lifestyle in even the smallest way.
    We don't get doovers, we get dobetters~ way to own it my fitness pal :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!