Treadmill or Elliptical

Options
Hi! I was wondering which one is more beneficial to weight loss and toning. Is one better for you? Also, which brands are best? Thank you!

Replies

• maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think it comes down to each individual (some people can work out hard on a treadmill and some on an elliptical)

For example: I can burn 500 odd calories on the street in 50 mins, but I cant run on a treadmill for 30 mins.

In 20 mins I can burn 100 calories on a treadmill (thats just about half what i get on the street)

I prefer the elliptical out of the 2 machines (i burn on average 230 calories on 28 minutes workout with it.

So personally for me the elliptical beats the treadmill :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about having an energy deficit....this is most efficiently done with your diet. You should exercise for fitness. Personally, I would say treadmill...running is a "natural" exercise. I personally see little point to an elliptical...I have never figured out what you become better at by doing the elliptical or how the elliptical translates to sport. It just seems like a completely random exercise with no true purpose.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was wondering which one is more beneficial to weight loss and toning. Is one better for you? Also, which brands are best? Thank you!

Weight loss as mentioned is by calorie deficit. Toning is from weights. Elliptical and treadmill are for cardio and endurance. You can develop some muscle definition given enough resistance and duration on either but more effectively by working with weights.

No data on brands. I use a gym and they have only commecial grade equipment designed for continuous usage day in/out.

Benefit of elliptical is that it is low impact and a treadmill is not at any speed over a walk. The ones with operable arm poles are similar to running with snowshoes on.
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I personally see little point to an elliptical...I have never figured out what you become better at by doing the elliptical or how the elliptical translates to sport. It just seems like a completely random exercise with no true purpose.

Hmm. Never thought of it that way. I use both. For me the point of the elliptical is I've just had a revision to my hip replacement (10 weeks ago woohoo) and it allows me to get a good cardio workout and work my glutes when I go backwards without creating any undo pressure on my joints. I use the treadmill to improve my gait.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Outside
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about having an energy deficit....this is most efficiently done with your diet. You should exercise for fitness. Personally, I would say treadmill...running is a "natural" exercise. I personally see little point to an elliptical...I have never figured out what you become better at by doing the elliptical or how the elliptical translates to sport. It just seems like a completely random exercise with no true purpose.

Elliptical can be less stressful on one's joints. That's really the only reason I could see to use it instead of a treadmill.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I lift, use a heavy bag, run, and hike.

Do what works for you and what you enjoy.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    For me is Elliptical,,,

and also Stationary Bike,,, and swimming

i dont use treadmill because i run,jog and sprinting in outdoor/outside
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    With all the different settings (speed, incline, resistance), you can burn as many calories you want on either machine.

Bad knees? Go for the Elliptical.

If you want to "tone", lift heavy weights and eat at a deficit. You won't gain muscle, but you will lose the fat that's blocking the view.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss is done in the kitchen first and foremost and you exercise for fitness that being said it will come down to a personal preference as far as which piece of equipment works best for you... I have severely bad knee's from my previous obesity so my workouts are gauged on how well my knee's are holding up on any given day... I will tend to use the elliptical more because it is much less stress on my knee's but when I can handle the pounding I will do treadmill...... They both have there place..... Best of Luck
  • SublimelyMe
    Options

I agree, weightloss is about having a calorie deficit...caused by modifying what one eats AND the addition of exercise. I don't see the two as separate, personally.

Anyway, the point of my response is this:

the true purpose of the elliptical is to help create a deficit in energy, build fitness and not impact on the joints in the same way that running does. It isn't meant to translate to sport. I love going to the gym, climbing, exploring the coast...but sport? I don't partake in sports and have no desire to do so. I never choose my exercises based on whether they translate to sport or not. Interesting idea though.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Neither / Both
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    Elliptical all the way. Treadmill is too hard on the knees.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I personally see little point to an elliptical...

Endurance and cardiac health? Maintaining a caloric deficit? Low impact exercise for people with injured or bad joints?
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I love my Proform Elliptical Hybrid. It has the elliptical and recumbent bike all in one. Which I love so I'm not bored with just one option. Treadmill you just run like a hamster on a wheel. But that's my own personal preference.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical. I actually feel like it helps tone my bottom better when I increase resistance and my joints hurt a lot less. Funny when I walk outside my joints do not hurt, but on the treadmill they do.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    barbell complex
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I personally see little point to an elliptical...I have never figured out what you become better at by doing the elliptical or how the elliptical translates to sport. It just seems like a completely random exercise with no true purpose.

Hmm. Never thought of it that way. I use both. For me the point of the elliptical is I've just had a revision to my hip replacement (10 weeks ago woohoo) and it allows me to get a good cardio workout and work my glutes when I go backwards without creating any undo pressure on my joints. I use the treadmill to improve my gait.

CROSS COUNTRY SKIING!!

I like both the elliptical and treadmill. I burn more calories on the treadmill though.

Treadmill is good because you can run fast, change the incline, its easier to incorporate "walking breaks", and you feel very "free".

The elliptical burns less calories for me, and it feels more like a contraption. But you can adjust the settings so that there is more resistance, and you use your arms a lot more. You can also run "backwards" safely on the elliptical and work difference muscles.

I like using the elliptical from time to time, especially before cross-country skiing season, and when I feel like doing something that invloves more of my body. But generally I prefer the freedom of running, even if its on a treadmill, plus i burn more calories.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

The elliptical is great for those who need a less impact workout. A treadmill can provide a lot of impact on joints.

OP, I personally prefer the elliptical just because it's less impact and I don't always feel like wrapping up my ankle, putting my brace on and popping in my orthodics to workout. I need to do that for the treadmill but not with the elliptical. I can get a better workout on my treadmill though because I do intervals with walking and jogging.

Either is good for weight loss. It comes down to whatever you prefer and whatever you will stick with.

You can't really tone your muscles... you can either retain them, build them or lose them. You need to be lifting weights for work on your muscles. Either machine will only work your heart (a muscle) and your lungs.. to do anything else for the other muscles in your body you need to be lifting weights.