Treadmill or Elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options

I like both the elliptical and treadmill. I burn more calories on the treadmill though.

Treadmill is good because you can run fast, change the incline, its easier to incorporate "walking breaks", and you feel very "free".

The elliptical burns less calories for me, and it feels more like a contraption. But you can adjust the settings so that there is more resistance, and you use your arms a lot more. You can also run "backwards" safely on the elliptical and work difference muscles.

^ This
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I hate both. I think they are both torture.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Okay silly question time.

How coordinated does one need to be to use an elliptical? When I see people on them I worry that I would not be able to get all my limbs moving correctly.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I choose Elliptical simply because I can switch to tread backwards and the machine still tracks my progress. Also, I can workout on Elliptical with closed eyes. With Treadmill, all eyes forward.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Treadmill.

but....I would suggest looking in to getting a cheap gym membership and trying them out, for a while, before you buy one. You could get a lot of months of use of any machine for the price of a home one.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Outside
    yeah, outside rules... but when it's 100+ out there, I'll get my endurance and conditioning in the AC, thanks.
  • ICallBS
    ICallBS Posts: 12
    Options

How coordinated does one need to be to use an elliptical? When I see people on them I worry that I would not be able to get all my limbs moving correctly.

Not very, there is a bit of how does this work the first time but you get into the rhythm very quick and it wasnt an issue after the first time. Plus you can do just your feet then get your arms going.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've had a "True" brand treadmill for years and I love it. I prefer the treadmill over the elliptical because I like to run. When the weather's crappy or it's dark outside, I just hop on the treadmill and get almost the same workout. I also used to live in an area where I just got way too much unwanted attention running outside, so the treadmill was the way to go. For toning, though, you should look into weight training. There's a lot you can do with simple dumb bells and your own body weight. Get a book.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Not very, there is a bit of how does this work the first time but you get into the rhythm very quick and it wasnt an issue after the first time. Plus you can do just your feet then get your arms going.

Thank you!
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love running and treadmills are great! Even if my shorts do cut my legs.. :(
    The what's good for you is going to come into play here. Can you run better and longer? Or can you fake ski better and longer? Usually I do 40 -60 minutes of running then I move onto the elliptical for 30. Try them and see what you and your body like best
  • Kingacat
    Kingacat Posts: 33
    Options
    I always used a elliptical as treadmills scared me. I've been seeing a personal trainer since april and he has always used the treadmill in our cardio session. He did say that they do the same job but obviously the treadmill is faster! I would recommend the treadmill. I've grown to love it and usually do interval running on it.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use and own both, but like my elliptical. I have toned and shaped muscle via both machines regardless of what people say on here because of the amount I use them, and I have some good legs on me thanks to both machines.But do what you enjoy :) I love them, but have to work my upper body with weights to get my arms and stomach working so its all about balancing what works for you.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was wondering which one is more beneficial to weight loss and toning. Is one better for you?

How that reads to me is "which is going to give you most calorie consumption for a given period of time. It's not that simple though.

Elliptical with arm action will give you a more balanced workout, and the calorie demand is really down to how much effort you put in. The Elliptical is also lower impact on the joints, so in that sense causes less damage to the body.

Personally I prefer running outside and I use a rowing machine when I'm indoors, but that doesn't answer your question. I'd echo the suggestion above to try them both out at a gym and see which you prefer.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I personally see little point to an elliptical...

Endurance and cardiac health? Maintaining a caloric deficit? Low impact exercise for people with injured or bad joints?
    tumblr_mriaqhLxdW1s3joi0o1_500.jpg
    Jaeger pilot training for when the Kaiju invade Earth.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    bump

Going to pick up either a treadmill or elliptical in the next few weeks to help burn more calories. Leaning towards the elliptical because I have bad feet and knees, but we like to walk, and a treadmill would make that a lot easier because we don't have time to do that outside. Thoughts?
  • palomalou2
    palomalou2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We did get a gym membership for a couple of years and learned that we would use the treadmill, then purchased one for home. HOWEVER, this was before the advent of the elliptical. Our new building has an exercise room and I'm sold on the elliptical--age and aging joints, plus I burn just as many calories as running on the treadmill, get some upper body into it, and no impact. What you get should be what you will want to use!
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hate both. I think they are both torture.

I am really big myself, the more I hate it the more I gotta keep trying.

I never really tried an elliptical but the treadmill is great.