I blew it

Options
I've been really good about keeping my food consumption under the daily limit. Sometime back, my Doctor suggested that I wear a pedometer, so I have been. For most of the last 3 months, I've been good about making sure that I get at least 30 minutes exercise a day. My step averages have been 4800 to 7500 steps a day. I've been doing well with weight loss. Not fast, but steady. 5 lbs in 3 months. A total weight loss of 22 lbs since I joined MyFitnessPal in 2011.

For some reason, I had a setback Saturday and yesterday. I cannot pinpoint a reason, I just ate all day long. Hot dogs, popcorn, anything I could get my hands on. Also did not do any exercises or walking. My Friday steps were 1200 and yesterday's were 1400. I haven't logged any food in here since Friday breakfast.

I have to get myself back on track. If I can't get back, I'll wind up gaining again.

Replies

• Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think that sometimes the monotony of logging and being on point with every single bite of food you put in your mouth can get to you. Every now and again I just need a break from it and I find myself eating like a mad woman for a day or two and then go right back on track. It really is all about making sure that you get back to healthy eating and not look at it as "all is lost" because it really is just 48 hours in the grand scheme of things....not a defining moment of failure. Best wishes!
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and move on! We all have those days. Try to get back to your healthy eating and drink lots of water. Don't deprive yourself either!! I also think you should log what you ate regardless of being over.

Good luck :)
    xx
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    Two days did not blow it. It's a journey.

Love yourself. Forgive yourself.

Yesterday is gone. All you have is today. So get up and go for a walk.

And write one of these messages to yourself, the one you need the most right now, and post it on your mirror!
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I had a bad week food-wise myself. While we won't reverse a week or a month or a year of hard work in a few days, it can be easy to feel that way. It's about having your will to move forward and do and be better that has to take over. Remember what your "aha" moment was that sent you on that right track in the first place. For me, it was seeing myself in a full length three way mirror in a bra and panties and realizing how horrible I looked. I could ignore it from the chest up in my bathroom mirror and wear looser shirts and pretend it wasn't THAT bad until that moment. And I took a picture. From the back with rolls and cellulite and lumps and bumps.

This week of not so great choices is hard for me to suck up. But that's exactly what I'm going to do. Buck up and leave it behind and be stronger than my tendency to give up. Giving up is easy. Facing the aftermath of it is what's hard and I don't want to do it to myself.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't let those days define you. Definitely don't give up! Chalk it up to your body needed a break or whatever the case may be, and get back on track. It's not over until you give up! Good luck!
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If there's one thing I've learned since I started losing weight then it's that you will have bad days. You'll slip up, overeat, be lazy, have a guilty binge and just make bad choices generally.

The good news is that bad days are normal (for me and some of my friends at least) and it doesn't spell the end of what you're trying to achieve.

Just try to learn from the things that make you feel bad and use tomorrow as a fresh start. The worst thing you can do is give up and I don't think you will, so keep your chin up and make tomorrow great!

Feel free to add me if you ever want to talk about it. I've been there!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and move on! We all have those days. Try to get back to your healthy eating and drink lots of water. Don't deprive yourself either!! I also think you should log what you ate regardless of being over.

Good luck :)
    xx
    Exactly, remember stressing over it could actually do more damage then the food you ate. Stress is a major player in weight gain.
    "Stress and excess fat storage go hand in hand – one triggers the other. When you are under stress, your body releases a stress hormone called cortisol from the adrenal glands. Unfortunately, an over secretion of cortisol will lead to weight gain, typically in the abdominal region."
  • IdaBigelow
    Options
    I also agree you should not beat yourself up - you pick up move on and learn from it - I do believe everything should be logged though even on our occasional bad days!!!
  • Som2224
    Som2224 Posts: 12
    Options
    Awesome advice!
  • cornell9903
    cornell9903 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here. You didn't blow it, you took a short break. The idea is that its not how bad we eat one day or even two, but how we maintain healthy eating most of the time. Keep the faith and drink lots of water....or black coffee. For some reason, coffee helps me forget about snacking.

Keep up the great work!:wink:
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Nah, 2 days isn't "blowing". Let's just say you've given yourself a break. Forgive yourself and come back to us tomorrow! :D
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You can do this, Doris. Get back to eating healthy, logging and walking. We all have those days/weekends/weeks.
  • sfdf40
    sfdf40 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

And write one of these messages to yourself, the one you need the most right now, and post it on your mirror!

Exactly this
  • CtrlAltJack
    CtrlAltJack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your little break was probably really good for you, actually. Do some reading about the hormone Leptin. Often, when you just feel uncontrollably hungry, it's because your leptin levels are too low. It takes a cheat day to put your leptin levels back up to a healthy level and allow you to move forward with success.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on your weight loss, that is a remarkable achievement I think that it's easy for us to forget that.at the end of the day we're only human beings and human beings sometimes make mistakes. My advice would be to take a deep breath, *kitten* what you might have in the house that triggered your eating e.g. hotdogs etc, and start the new day more determined than ever. I wish you every success.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    2 days is definitely not blowing everything you have worked for, but just a break from the monotony. Now you can restart today with a fresh mindset and renewed vigor that you really want to do this for yourself.

Also since it is so easy for us to get bored with the same things, see if there are any new exercises that seem fun to you and add something new in your routine. I think switching things up at least once a month is important to keep from getting bored and more likely to stray from a healthy routine.
  • proudmama2boys
    Options
    I did terrible the last 3 days - I know I gained - but I have to catch it, feel it & release it. Know that if you get back on track now, you'll be back in the groove and moving forward - towards your goal. You can do it! Sometimes, I feel like if I take a little break from it, that it will help me gain better control.
  • nicholastyndalemartin
    Options

Wow, very eloquently said.....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    That's now "blowing it". That's splurging for a day. And it's ok.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Unless, you're planning on being a bodybuilder, a day splurge isn't going to kill you.

We all have other commitments that sometimes force us to eat a bit more then we should.

Just drink a lot of water to help flush out the sodium. You'll be back to where you want in a day.

I had a BBQ yesterday, still pretty decent today :s
    I know dem feels.