weighing food

Options
How should weigh my food cooked or uncooked, because I am trying to gain some muscle for example should I weigh sweet potatoes raw or cooked, brown rice dry or cooked to get it accurate .

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    5. Count calories using MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count properly - http://www.fitnessfactreview.com/the-art-science-of-calorie-counting/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/15967-from-fat-to-fit-q-a

Join my group, lots of information here. :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Usually raw is the most accurate. It's too unpredictable how much water will cook out or be added using different methods.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you weigh raw, use a database entry for raw.
    If you weigh cooked, use a database entry for cooked.
    Either way, beware of bad data.
  • ARoseinDecember
    Options
    For me, I measure the sweet potato raw, then cook it(I bake them with nothing added). Should be same, no? But since this data is all user added, yes, you need to realize these are not rock solid entries...we're just trying to get the best estimate we can. :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    For me, I measure the sweet potato raw, then cook it(I bake them with nothing added). Should be same, no? But since this data is all user added, yes, you need to realize these are not rock solid entries...we're just trying to get the best estimate we can. :)

Most of the entries are user added, true, but the ones without asterisks are system data, which from the looks of it came from the USDA database. For the most part I tend to trust the non-asterisk entries for commodity items like meats, eggs, sweet potatoes, etc. And tend to trust the user-added entries never.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if your value for a particular food is for raw, then weigh it raw. if it's for cooked, it's only accurate for the same food cooked in the same way.

e.g. if you look up chicken breast, you'll probably find values for raw chicken breast, boiled chicken breast, roast chicken breast, etc.

Raw values are easier to deal with as some methods of cooking, e.g. frying, really depend on how much oil you fry them in, and stuff like that.
  • corsairpro
    Options
    If you weigh raw, use a database entry for raw.
    If you weigh cooked, use a database entry for cooked.
    Either way, beware of bad data.

^ This.

Tip that I've found useful - learn to go negative! E.g. Tare out the rice container or jar of nut butter - take out what you want and your negative measurement equates to what you took out. (Assuming the scale supports that - I have a digital scale).
  • xxhawk68xx
    xxhawk68xx Posts: 60 Member
    Options