Lately, I'm always hungry!! :/ especially at night.

Options
Hi everyone :) Id love to know how people with an appetite, control their appetite? I was doing fine up until June. I had lost about 15kg in 3 months, regular exercise, eating well. Regular meals. My body requires around 1800 cals to maintain and So I aim for 1500 cals a day , but normally end up with more due to the fair amount of regular exercise I do. I do eat back my exercise cals. The calories burnt are correct due to my great hrm. But I'm still always hungry and it's annoying! Moreso lately. I havent lost anything since June , just maintained. I seem to be famished in the afternoon and could eat a horse (lucky I have 3 in the paddock... Lol :P joking) I especially crave chocolate/sugar around then which is driving me nuts.. Lately ,as much as I burn (normally 500-1200 cal a day)I either end up right on my calorie goal, slightly under or slightly over because I've been giving in to cravings in the afternoons after I've finally got my baby to bed. Typical meals would be oats or a homemade smoothie for breakfast, meat and veg for lunch and similar for dinner. Snacks being yoghurt, fruit, 70% cocoa sugar free chocolate and some home baked healthy goods.. And sadly a bit of junk lately. I need to find my motivation again. But it's hard when I'm hungry hungry hungry :/ .. As an idea of my exercise it ranges from lifting at least 3 times a week. Daily cardio with my son and his pram lol. I do a HIIT spin bike workout most days, sometimes 30ds and running around the paddock catching my horses. I also sometimes do classes at my gym of various kinds. But as I said, I eat my exercise cals back and I'm still looking for more :( and it's normally wholesome food. Aaargggghhh.. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You might require more protein. The minimum recommended daily allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight. MFP's default protein setting is 15%, which may not be enough to meet the RDA for an overweight or obese person.

You can adjust your protein percentage by going into the Goals section and clicking "Custom".

That being said, athletes and people who exercise heavily tend to eat even more than 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight. Some people recommend as much as 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass. (If you know your body fat percentage, you can calculate your lean body mass percentage, which is your total weight less your body fat percentage. Edited to add: You can then use this to calculate your lean body mass in pounds.)

One more thing that you can try is to make sure that you eat some protein with every snack or meal. A carbohydrate-heavy snack or meal will raise your blood sugar. Then your pancreas will release insulin to lower your blood sugar. If this response is very rapid or over-reactive, then the blood sugar will drop quickly, leaving you feeling hungry again shortly after eating. Then if you eat another carbohydrate-heavy snack or meal, the process repeats. However, if you have a moderate amount of protein along with the carbohydrate, then the blood sugar doesn't rise as rapidly, nor is there as much insulin released and therefore it (the blood sugar) doesn't lower as rapidly and you are left feeling more satiated for a longer period.

Good luck.

Edited to add one sentence and to correct spelling errors.
  • ImaKnitter67
    Options
    Me, too, girlfriend! I hate the torture of food cravings! But I have found help. Someone I love and trust recommended garcinia cambogia to me as an appetite suppressant. It is made from the rind of the tamarind fruit. You may have seen Dr. Oz recommend it on TV. I have taken it for 3 days and it works for me. Your case may be different, but for the money ($20 for 180 capsules) you might want to give it a try. Be sure you get a pure product manufactured in USA. I got the one with no calcium in it. And let us know if it works for you. Good luck.
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My best way of controlling cravings is to get carbs under control. A sniff of home baking and I'm a goner! Have you thought about upping the protein and fat and cutting the carbs! I'm afraid that would mean losing the oats, cutting down on fruit and no home baking. It might be worth a try. You are exercising hard as well so maybe you could actually eat a bit more. Anyway I hope you find something that works.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for later, and eat some chocolate. Job done.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    My best way of controlling cravings is to get carbs under control. A sniff of home baking and I'm a goner! Have you thought about upping the protein and fat and cutting the carbs! I'm afraid that would mean losing the oats, cutting down on fruit and no home baking. It might be worth a try. You are exercising hard as well so maybe you could actually eat a bit more. Anyway I hope you find something that works.

This worked for me too. :wink:
  • hookilau
    Options
    You might require more protein. The minimum recommended daily allowance (RDA) for protein is 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight. MFP's default protein setting is 15%, which may not be enough to meet the RDA for an overweight or obese person.

You can adjust your protein percentage by going into the Goals section and clicking "Custom".

That being said, athletes and people who exercise heavily tend to eat even more than 0.8g of protein per kilogram of body weight. Some people recommend as much as 1g of protein for every pound of lean body mass. (If you know your body fat percentage, you can calculate your lean body mass percentage, which is your total weight less your body fat percentage. Edited to add: You can then use this to calculate your lean body mass in pounds.)

One more thing that you can try is to make sure that you eat some protein with every snack or meal. A carbohydrate-heavy snack or meal will raise your blood sugar. Then your pancreas will release insulin to lower your blood sugar. If this response is very rapid or over-reactive, then the blood sugar will drop quickly, leaving you feeling hungry again shortly after eating. Then if you eat another carbohydrate-heavy snack or meal, the process repeats. However, if you have a moderate amount of protein along with the carbohydrate, then the blood sugar doesn't rise as rapidly, nor is there as much insulin released and therefore it (the blood sugar) doesn't lower as rapidly and you are left feeling more satiated for a longer period.

Good luck.

Edited to add one sentence and to correct spelling errors.

^^ This also sounds like a sensible approach :drinker:
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It could be all that was mentioned above. You may have hit a plateau that if you shake up your work outs will help with that however for me when I have eaten a well balanced diet at the correct caloric intake it is always an emotional need masked in a food craving. Are you experiencing more stress? Are you having feelings such as sadness, anger, fear? Anxiety? If nothing comes to mind I always start to journal to see if something is going on. I may write "I am so frustrated, pissed, freaked out etc. that despite doing everything I need to for my health I am having these awful cravings." I just keep writing to see if anything materializes. It would be something unconscious that you are not aware of. For me, I don't overeat due to physical needs but emotional needs and it all starts with a craving that no matter what I do won't go away.
  • liisa23
    liisa23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are not getting enough fat in your diet. Increase the fat (avocado, coconut anything, butter, etc...) and you'll feel a million times better. I also agree with the others about increasing your protein intake. From what you described as your typical daily diet, combined with the amount of exercise you do, you aren't eating enough. It sounds silly, yes, but if you change your day to 5-6 mini-meals a day, all of them consisting of protein, complex carbohydrates (ie. vegetables) and healthy fat, you will get your body losing again.

Good luck!!!
  • hookilau
    Options
    You are not getting enough fat in your diet. Increase the fat (avocado, coconut anything, butter, etc...) and you'll feel a million times better. I also agree with the others about increasing your protein intake. From what you described as your typical daily diet, combined with the amount of exercise you do, you aren't eating enough. It sounds silly, yes, but if you change your day to 5-6 mini-meals a day, all of them consisting of protein, complex carbohydrates (ie. vegetables) and healthy fat, you will get your body losing again.

Good luck!!!

yes! I forgot that I increased good fats while decreasing carb & the fat is really satiating.
  • ImaKnitter67
    Options
    Thanks, all. These replies have been really helpful to me, too! :flowerforyou: I MUST cut my carb intake and up the protein. Will do.
  • bnmoyler
    bnmoyler Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well, you're not gaining and that's a good thing. When I get like that, it's usually a situation where I'm needing water or protein. Listen to your body though. Mind over matter for a couple of days to get yourself back on track. Just be miserable and hungry for 48 hours to get a grip. Stick within your calorie goals and your body will get back on track.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I'm with the eat more protein group. I find if I eat early and heavier carbs, I'm hungry constantly! If I have my yogurt at mid morning I find I'm actually trying to find what I call filler calories, to make my totals that eve. Good luck!
  • mom2_4gr8kids
    Options
    Save some calories for later, and eat some chocolate. Job done.

^^^This!^^^

I gained most of my weight after the kids went to bed. 4 kids in 4 1/2 years ( I don't remember why we thought that was a good idea)... After they went to bed, that was my time to cry, eat, and make myself feel better. Now I realize that my munchy time is still in the evening, so I save calories for after they go to bed. I try to make it fruit or veggies, but sometimes only chocolate will satisfy me. Just plan ahead :)
  • JBcat123
    JBcat123 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    well I always keep a pack of mint orbit gum on my bedside and every time I go to bed I lecture myself to not eat this food product cause of future consequences. then I fall asleep. you can also write up your mantra and each time before to bed look at it and it will motivate you to do better.