protein

Options
HOOVEY17
HOOVEY17 Posts: 59 Member
Is it really bad to have too much protein. I was logging my meals for today and I am having a chicken breast for lunch and dinner and I am going way over. I have plenty of calories left, just not protein??

Replies

• HOOVEY17
    HOOVEY17 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Is it really bad to have too much protein. I was logging my meals for today and I am having a chicken breast for lunch and dinner and I am going way over. I have plenty of calories left, just not protein??
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Any unused protein will be turned into energy to be used similar to carbs and will then follow this path. I also have a lot of extra protein. I usually hit some extra after a hard weight training session to help build muscle, but it should be fine as long as you are not getting extremely high like 300-400 grams a day.
  • JennyBanker
    JennyBanker Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I really want to know this also becuase I always go over my protein unless I have excersized. It seems alomost everything has protein in it.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Its ok to go over protein IF 1) you're not neglecting other important nutrients- like carbs and fats, - this is really important. Fats are needed for many bodily funtions- like brain functions! And carbs are you primary energy source! 2) you're not exceeding 40% of you overall daily intake (I have also heard 1g of protein per 1 kg of body weight) and 3) are not exceeding your overall calorie limits. Excess protein is stored as fat just like excess carbs and fats are, but if you'r enot going over the set number of calories chosen for you by MFP, you shouldn't gain weight by being over in protein.