crossfit gym

Options
Looking for feedback on the Crossfit "Cult" gyms?? I'm looking to step up my training and looking to join. I know it's expensive but not worried about the cost BC I will use the gym on regular basis....thanks

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think the answer you will get is:
    Crossfit is expensive -- up to $175 a month.
    Crossfit is fun -- the workouts are different every day, and you meet the people you work out with. You interact with them and they become friends/partners.Plus, you push sleds, lift tires, climb ropes, jump -- a little more interesting than hanging on to the same old barbell every time in.
    Crossfit is demanding -- unlike just lifting weights in the gym, most CrossFit workouts have a heavy dose of cardio. The lifts are compound lifts -- Olympic-type lifts mostly. And, most important, it is like you are working out with a personal trainer every time. There is the guy who runs the WOD (workout of the day), who pushes you, and you are competing against yourself (for time, etc.) and the others in the session.
    Crossfit may have more injuries than Gold's Gym -- You are doing movements fast and you are doing heavy lifting fast. That can be inherently risky. People will tell you Crossfit is rife with injuries.
    However, in every 'box' I have ever, the trainers stress proper form and they work on it with you. If you are not ready to do the prescribed weight/exercise, they will modify it for you.
    Moreover, I go to the 'Y' and I hear stories every time I go about some guy who has torn his bicep, or slipped a disc doing squats, or had the leg press sled fall on his legs and break them. The point being: Whatever you do there is a little hazard. They say that something like 60 percent of runners -- running! No contact, no weights, no rapid changes of direction! -- suffer an injury every year.
  • SHMirkle
    SHMirkle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love Crossfit. It's constantly varied, so I never get bored. There's a sense of community with crossfit that I've never encountered at globo gyms. I've made many close friends at my gym and really enjoy the fund raising events that we participate in. CrossFit has awakened a sense of competitiveness in me that I didn't know existed. I compete against myself and the whole gym celebrates my successes with me. Oh, and did I mention that by doing CrossFit 5 times a week and eating Paleo (which is essentially as simple as just eating real food), I've lost over 77 pounds since the beginning of the year?

I recommend that you dive right in and give CrossFit a try. I hope you love it as much as I do.

Sarah