Filling breakfast ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• kamken40
    Options
    I read somewhere to eat more in the a.m. so you can gide better through the p.m. It has helped me. I was one of those that never ate breakfast, but by the time I got to midmoring I was cracking open the cheeze it box in my draw. Now I eat 2 fried eggs (using low cal pam) and 2 whole light wheat peices of toast at about 8:00. Now I make it until pretty much noon time. If I can not make it that far I have a granola bar. I really really hate oatmeal so that is not an option for me. Hated it as a kid and still do. I also have a 4 oz glass of oj. Total is not that much and I am only allowed 1200 calories/day.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I find more calories serve me better in the mornings. I've been recently making a smoothie out of a cup of soymilk, a scoop of vanilla whey protein shake mix, a spoonful of peanut butter and about 1/2 a banana's worth of frozen banana chunks. It's about 300-350 calories but it fends off the tummy rumbles for a good amount of time :smile:

If you try this I hope it helps!

oo that one sounds awesome...i usually use half a bar of tofu dessert, soy milk, whey protein and fruit for an after workout smoothie, but i found it to thick...so now i just have fruit, water and whey protein. I may have to try your smoothie for breakfast though
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    i microwave an egg (50 seconds in a plastic bowl) toast half a bagel (weight watchers or the new dempsters body watch bagels), a piece of fruit and a glass of milk and you should be good.
  • pressica
    Options
    3 Words...Steel...Cut...Oats... Yum, yum, yum! Check 'em out. You'll never go back to oatmeal.
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    hard boiled Jumbo Egg White, 3 Egg
    Cottage Cheese No Salt Added 1% Milkfat, 0.33 Cup
    Tomato - , Medium, Raw, 1 tomato
    coffee with 3oz 1% milk, 1 serving

179 calories

high protein, lowfat, no sugar, I have this EVERY morning, I hard boil eggs 2 dozen at a time, if I run out I can make a egg-white and tomato omlet with cottage cheese folded in, I eat Fiber One cereal and banana for dessert after dinner
  • ATJune
    ATJune Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • candicep82
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the ideas! I think oatmeal sounds like a good idea, I used to make an overnight oatmeal where I combined the milk and oats the night before with some cinnamon and raisins and by the morning it was like it was cooked and I ate it cold and it was really good, so I might try that next week and see what difference I see.
    I also like the egg mcmuffin idea! Microwaving the egg is a nice quick idea! Don't have time or patience to do anything else, not really a morning person! :)
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt (I like Chobani). It has a good amount of protein and not too many calories, and is EASY in the morning.
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Stick to only proteins before lunch and you should not get hungary. I usually eat Special K with extra protein (blue box) with 1 cup of %1 milk.

Also egg beaters with cheese is protein only.

Weight control oatmeal is great as well. Carnation Instant Breakfast is loaded with protein.

It may take about 3 to 4 days before you notice that your hunger pangs go away so give it a good try.

Good Luck to you. :smile:
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of "oatmeals" that I have. All taste a bit different to fit the mode.
    7 grain (also 10 grain): similar to steel cut oats but other flavors.
    Steel cut oats. Taught to eat with a bit of milk on the side. Then oats stay hot. Milk gives it a good texture.
    Old Fashioned Rolled Oats.
    Bob's Red Mill 5 Grain Rolled Cereal
    Bob's Red Mill Oats & Nuts Cereal (Basically Steel Cut Oats with Walnuts)
    Muesli (My wife makes homemade. I eat it in plain yoghurt with fruit)
    granola (Again, my wife makes it with honey as the sweetener)

Most the hot ones can be made in microwave, but I like the flavor better if cooked on stove, takes about 10 minutes.

Other days, I have 2 eggs (my wife has one), one piece of homemade whole wheat toast, and meat. If I am not exercising that day, it is 4 slices of canadian bacon. If exercising, two slices of bacon or sausage.

I am not a cold cereal eater.
  • scentsykristen
    Options
    I, too, love the oatmeal (old fashioned not quick cook) for breakfast. I add 2 TBSP of Zante Currants to the boiling water and it is so yummy!

But my almost everyday go to.. quick, super healthy and yummy breakfast, is a green smoothie. Here is the very flexible recipe which makes 4-6 servings:

4-6 Cups raw spinach
    3-4 stems of raw Kale (just use the leafy parts, throw away the woody stem)
    1 cup (plus some) sweetened vanilla Almond milk (or regular milk - your choice) - you might need slightly more than 1 cup
    1 cup frozen blueberries
    1 banana
    1 apple cut into large chunks (I quarter it then cut the quarters in half)
    2 packets sugar substitute (you might get by with less, but when I started I needed 2)
    2 TBSP wheat germ
    2 TBSP ground flax seed
    Ice if desired

Add the first 3 ingredients to food processor (or blender if it's a really good blender), blend until liquid. Add the rest of the ingredients, blend until smooth. Use more milk if the consistency is too thick. Take away or add other items as you desire (kiwi, watermelon, and strawberries are all good. Romaine - not so much).

Pour into tupperware type containers with lids to freeze individual portions, save what you are going to drink right then.
    Freeze individual potions. Take one out the night before and let defrost in fridge. In the morning it should still be somewhat frozen. Dump it into food processor, cut into chunks (should be very soft, like cutting ice cream), add a little almond milk (or whatever milk - I use non-sweetened for this step, just to save calories), and blend.

Drink. Then BRUSH YOUR TEETH before you go anywhere. :)

This has tons of nutrition in it. I usually have a 1.5 - 2 Cup serving, and it has around 110 calories in a 2 cup serving. It holds me for about 3-4 hours before I'm hungry again. It does take a while to drink and the kale makes it kind of chewy (but I like that).

Let me know what you think.
  • jjmsat
    Options
    Try making your own healthy granola so you get more fiber. Fiber helps you feel full.
  • caryn2010
    caryn2010 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating the sugar free maple & brown sugar flavored oatmeal. Pretty decent really. If you're cool w/ oatmeal you should give it a go.
    OR...try warming up a hard boiled egg on a low cal english muffin w/ a little fat free shredded cheese. Like a little egg/cheese melt. Yummy & filling & not too hard on the calories. I make hard boiled eggs the night before & just grab n go in the morning. :) But for me I can't just have the egg. I gotta have something else w/ it or I don't really feel like I had a REAL breakfast. :)
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I love having a clif bar for breakfast.

Example of ingredients (Chocolate Chip) Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Chocolate Chips (Evaporated Cane Juice, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, ClifCrunch® (Apple Fiber, Organic Oat Fiber, Organic Milled Flaxseed, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Psyllium), Organic Date Paste, Organic Soy Butter, Organic Sunflower Oil, Molasses Powder, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Cinnamon.

They have lots of yummy flavors, like Carrot Cake. And about 240 calories.

BMW6Series
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    protein protein protein!

Homemade protein shakes - I love 'em

half cup of yogurt
    cup of almond milk
    banana
    chocolate vegan protein powder
  • grace343
    Options
    I usually make a smoothie of sorts... good for two days... 1/2 avocado (yes is good fat not bad) ,1 very ripe banana, a pinch of sugar (use sparingly & if bananas very ripe not necessary), roughly 2 cups skim milk blended well. I drink a full 8 ounce glass with a boiled egg seasoned with cumin powder.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    . There is no rule that says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. If a peanut butter sandwich or tuna salad works for you eat that for breakfast. Besides since breakfast is the most important meal of the day it wouldn't hurt if it was the largest and the rest of the day are small meals. Some people reverse their meal plan and eat dinner for breakfast. It works for some.