Old Fashion vs Instant Oatmeal

Options
I use to cook my own oatmeal and figured it would be quicker just to switch to instant. I never paid attention untill I tried to cut down on my daily sugar totals.

Old Fashion Oatmeal 1/2 cup

Calories 150 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 3 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 27 g
Polyunsaturated 1 g Dietary Fiber 4 g
Monounsaturated 1 g Sugars 1 g
Trans 0 g Protein 5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg

Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 10%

instant Oatmeal 1 package

Calories 130 Sodium 190 mg
Total Fat 2 g Potassium 100 mg
Saturated 1 g Total Carbs 27 g
Polyunsaturated 1 g Dietary Fiber 3 g
Monounsaturated 1 g Sugars 13 g
Trans 0 g Protein 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg

Vitamin A 25% Calcium 10%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 20%

Old Fastion _ Instant
Cals 150 _ 130
Sugars 1 _ 13
Sodium 0 _ 190 mg
Potassium 0 _ 100 mg
Fiber 4 _ 3 g
Protein 5 _ 3 g

Replies

• raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I go ahead and fix my old fashioned oats in the microwave...so nearly instant.
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    I like the one minute oats myself...... I never did like the package kind... My husband likes old fashion.... I guess it depends on the person...
    As the calories goes I gess it depends on if you add sugar are artifical sweenters are other things things to your oatmeal how many calories it has.......... Packets you buy have different flavores... Plain old oatmeal I like best with One equal and little milk....
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have always been told by Doctors and Nutritionists that it is better to have the Old Fashion Oats, Steel Cut if you can find it. When the oats get processed and broken down they lose some good nutrients. Nutrients your body needs.
    I love Old Fashion oats. It never matters how long they take to cook, the taste is so much better to me.
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read and been told says that you lose most of the good nutrition when you go for the quick and easy with oats. They don't take that long to cook and it's well worth the few extra minutes. I never eat instant and can flavor it any way I please, usually with a cinnamon/raisin mixture. Happy eating :)
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure so.......I will just stick to my old fashioned oatmeal. Thanks for the comparison.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Instant and One Minute oats are both more processed than the Old Fashioned. The Steel Cut or Irish oats are even less processed. The more processed the more addatives to boost the lost nutritional value and flavor. I like the old fashioned 1/2c with 1/2c water, cinn, nutmeg and sweetner in the microwave for 110 seconds. Chewwwy!
  • Dubuque
    Dubuque Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My wife helped me come up with a great way to eat steel cut oats at work. I carry 3 cups of the dry mix (see below) to work each week. I put 3/4 cup of the dry mix in a small bowl and cover with hot water (from the water cooler). I let it sit for 4 minutes. I eat it plain with no milk. It takes some getting used to (without milk), but you can't beat the feeling of a hot breakfast at work.

3 cups steel cut oats
    1/4 cup sliced almonds
    1TBS brown sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read and been told says that you lose most of the good nutrition when you go for the quick and easy with oats. They don't take that long to cook and it's well worth the few extra minutes. I never eat instant and can flavor it any way I please, usually with a cinnamon/raisin mixture. Happy eating :)

I agree. Just like any other processed food, the instant oats lose some of the important nutrients that are in the old fashioned oats. And cooking them in water or milk only takes a couple of minutes on the stove anyway. :)

I eat mine with berries and cinnamon. Sometimes I use sliced peaches. Either way, it is better tasting and better nutrition-wise than the packages of instant that have the flavoring mixed in.
  • Sveikuole
    Options
    Old fashioned oats all the way! I eat mine with chopped fresh peach or banana - never even occured to me to add some sugar :)
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of instant oatmeal you're using, but the kind I get has 0 g sugar! Just go with the unflavored kind and you're fine.
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    I so want to eat oatmeal now. Thanks for the info Amarillo and ty all for other recipes.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't know what kind of instant oatmeal you're using, but the kind I get has 0 g sugar! Just go with the unflavored kind and you're fine.

Even My Instatnt Oats says 0 Sugar and 5g Proteins for serv Size 1/2 cup.
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It only takes a few minutes to cook the old fashioned ones so I can't see why anyone wants the instant. The instant just turns to mush and you need the roughage to cleanse the colon.

I wonder what the difference is with quick cook rice. I don't buy this either but will look it up.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I like both but I really prefer the convenience of being able to pop the instant in the microwave for 60 seconds. It's premeasured and I can just heat and go. From a nutritional point of view, I'm sure the steel cut are better, but I don't see a significant enough difference to give up the convenience.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I do the minute oats, but not the pre-packaged ones. I know it is more processed than the old fashioned ones, but I do not have time in the morning for the other ones! I figure at least there is nothing added to the ones I have, even if it is not as good for me. I add a little bit of brown sugar, some raisens and some cinnimon, stick in the microwave for 60 seconds and we are set.
  • nurseandi
    Options
    i also put my old fashioned oats in the microwave.... works just fine for me :)