Leigh Peele on Starvation Mode [Must See]

Options

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It's exactly what I needed: the facts and how to deal with the metabolic slowdown. It's good to read something that states what is happening and why and what to do about it. Having an underactive thyroid, I am very wary of the effect being in deficit has on T4, T3 and cortisol levels. I also find I can only lose weight for about 3-4 weeks at a time before it stops. Now I know what to do.

Thanks again :happy:
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. It's exactly what I needed: the facts and how to deal with the metabolic slowdown. It's good to read something that states what is happening and why and what to do about it. Having an underactive thyroid, I am very wary of the effect being in deficit has on T4, T3 and cortisol levels. I also find I can only lose weight for about 3-4 weeks at a time before it stops. Now I know what to do.

Glad it was of use to you!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Yes. As long as I don't make my 'cheat' days like those of the 'Butterfield diet' :bigsmile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Yes. As long as I don't make my 'cheat' days like those of the 'Butterfield diet' :bigsmile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWgwJfbeCeU

Aha! A friend of mine showed me that a while back!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Loved the video!!! On my way into work a couple of weeks ago a professor (I believe Stanford) was saying the exact same thing. Our bodies are highly adaptable and as we lose fat of course our metabolism will change, as it should. Eat! Workout! Make Healthy Choices!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My problem is that I don't eat enough. My chiropractor and nutritionist are helping me to get to the point of eating more. Sometimes I barely get to 1200 and that's gross not net, because I forget to eat. There's lot's of reasons for that, I call it "beyond hunger", and I've blogged about it.

Be that as it may, not only don't I eat enough, but I work out too. I have to push to get 1200 "net" calories in. It's all starvation mode, and I'm so grateful to myself for going out and looking for help to fine tune what my calorie goal is, and what calorie dense food can help me.

I encourage anyone caught in the same situation to look for assistance.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I find it amazing how many times you can say this same basic principle to someone and they don't understand the most fundamental concept of a calorie deficit.

I get that a lot of people won't care or know how to find out about changes in the metabolism as they lose weight - after all, you have to know what you're looking for in order to find it - but the arguments you get from people who just won't attempt to be told any different is bizarre. Especially with the glut of misinformation that exists on the internet that they use to back up their disbelief... I'm sure it's all well-meaning, but if such a core belief is incorrect, impressionable people are pushed into a life of yo-yo dieting when they needn't be.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I find it amazing how many times you can say this same basic principle to someone and they don't understand the most fundamental concept of a calorie deficit.

I get that a lot of people won't care or know how to find out about changes in the metabolism as they lose weight - after all, you have to know what you're looking for in order to find it - but the arguments you get from people who just won't attempt to be told any different is bizarre. Especially with the glut of misinformation that exists on the internet that they use to back up their disbelief... I'm sure it's all well-meaning, but if such a core belief is incorrect, impressionable people are pushed into a life of yo-yo dieting when they needn't be.

I agree, i've almost smashed my face into my monitor about 40 times today. I have no issue with fat people, because I was fat - BUT that being said.. its fat people who seem to tell me I have no idea what i'm talking about and that i'm not qualified.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

its fat people who seem to tell me I have no idea what i'm talking about and that i'm not qualified.
    I know this feel
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good read, thanks for the useful article!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

its fat people who seem to tell me I have no idea what i'm talking about and that i'm not qualified.
    I know this feel

Not to mention they're in their 50's and have on their profiles "i've been trying to diet for 35 years, with all these fad diets"..

It's painful, really, really painful :D!
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    "starvation mode"

haha.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    This confirms what I already had in mind. If ever I reached a plateau I'd eat enough to maintain my weight, then drop calories again.. I did however appreciate the Guide, it means I can have a longer break than I ever thought possible!

Thank you.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

I think a big issue with this is that - and I can say this, having once been very obese - as a fat person, VLCDs and the general "eat 1200 calories" advice produces a result that's so stark in contrast to the "lose 1lb a week" advice, it must be hard for people to go against what is anecdotally correct for them.

I mean, if 1200 calories a day has me losing 1 stone in a month, surely 1000 calories is better? 1800 calories getting me to lose 4lbs in a month... well, why would I do that when I can do it faster?

The idea that not all weight loss is "good" weight loss is unbelievable.

By the time the weight loss slows to a crawl, the damage is already done and the idea of eating more to weigh less must be heinous. It's sad, really.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Excellent article on a topic (refeeding) I knew nothing about. Thank you. I've been seeing so much of the continuing 1,200-cals-vs.-don't-you-dare-eat-that-low on the forums, it was getting very tedious. Finally something new that makes all kinds of sense.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Saving for later
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Wow! That was a great video and a great read. I just loved it and I'll be adding that to my list of favourites. Thanks for posting!
  • lindacollins78
    lindacollins78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Great article and video. So glad I went on a refeed cause as soon as I went back to a deficient, the scale moved 2 pounds in a week! That's compared to nothing moving for a month. Thanks so much for your help!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Bumping for future reference. Thanks!
  • tannas25
    tannas25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! As a relative newbie here, I've been so confused about it all. Makes more sense now.