Cellulite. Scientific explanation pls. Will it go away?

Options
I've see some great answers on here. Which really explain things properly. So will my cellulite go away with weight loss and exercise? I'm not convinced creams work so won't be trying them.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    It might, it might not. Even "skinny" people can have cellulite. Is just a type of fat.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You will probably have less of it.

The way to treat it is through friction. You can get these pads that have small bumps, and if you massage your cellulite while in the shower, it is supposed to break down the clumps of fat---the cellulite cell is a bit different than the others---so that your body can dispose of it otherwise. I've only used it sporadically, so I can't say that it works or not. French women's magazines promote this a lot.

It makes sense to me that if you aren't on a diet, and not burning the fat that you've stored, the body will only put it somewhere else.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It's individual. Some women don't have it even at high body fat percentage, other have to get down to only having the essential body fat level to get rid of it. There's no telling. As for creams, I don't believe in miracles, but I think it's still good do use them for massaging the affected areas, and for that you can use any body cream, not necessarily anti cellulite one (myself, I'm using basic baby body olive, and once or twice a week I prepare my own body scrub, using ground coffee leftovers, kosher salt and olive). Moisturising your skin from the outside, along with physical stimulation, is going to keep it firmer, which may help reducing how your cellulite is showing.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Hi. What is the essential body fat level? How is it measured? :smile:
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite

It's a genetic predisposition as far as I'm concerned. You can't do anything specific to get rid of it.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can see it especially when the connective tissue is tight and is forcing it up against your skin. The best way to make it less visible is to rub it as much as possible everyday. You don't need anything special, just lotion or an oil of your choice.
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I was kinda chubby but never fat. I had cellulite on my thighs and butt end at 131 lbs. (I'm short) After I lost 15 lbs I noticed mine was gone. That was my experience.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scientific explanation, but from my experience (beware: graphic details ahead), when I grab my love handles and pull up on them, my cellulite improves. (<<feel free to try this at home in front of a mirror) Soooo, in my case, I think it is a combination of fat on the back of the thighs + gravity of the weight of other fat on my body pushing down on it. Solution? All around reduction in bodyfat and basically "tightening up", with strength training. That's my plan anyway. (Have you ever seen a fitness model or bodybuilder with cellulite?? I haven't. So I conclude: (-)BF and (+)Lean mass as needed for results)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Reduction in body fat reduces the appearance of cellulite.
  • Meshell3786
    Meshell3786 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I started saving all my coffee grounds Haven't tried yet anyone else ever Try?!?.... http://www.livestrong.com/article/76614-warm-coffee-grounds-cellulite/
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite

It's a genetic predisposition as far as I'm concerned. You can't do anything specific to get rid of it.

I agree with this comment and the article is very informative and right on. However, with every thing said and done, I still hate my cellulite and nothing is going to change that, and I am not planning to advertise it to the word.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't have a scientific explanation, but from my experience (beware: graphic details ahead), when I grab my love handles and pull up on them, my cellulite improves. (<<feel free to try this at home in front of a mirror) Soooo, in my case, I think it is a combination of fat on the back of the thighs + gravity of the weight of other fat on my body pushing down on it. Solution? All around reduction in bodyfat and basically "tightening up", with strength training. That's my plan anyway. (Have you ever seen a fitness model or bodybuilder with cellulite?? I haven't. So I conclude: (-)BF and (+)Lean mass as needed for results)

Yes, they are many fitness model with cellulite, just photoshopped not to show it. Read the article (http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite) posted by another member. It is very well written.
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started saving all my coffee grounds Haven't tried yet anyone else ever Try?!?.... http://www.livestrong.com/article/76614-warm-coffee-grounds-cellulite/

I just posted the following on another message board -

In addition to the dry skin brushing you might also try a homemade coffee body scrub (coffee, sugar, oil of choice, cocoa powder and cinnamon). The full recipe and a photo is on my Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/TeamDontMessWithTheMommaPage

If you want to learn more about dry skin brushing checkout my blog - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/takerbrat/view/two-detox-therapies-that-anyone-can-do-at-home-564953
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Yes, they are many fitness model with cellulite, just photoshopped not to show it. Read the article (http://breakingmuscle.com/womens-fitness/the-dirty-little-secret-of-the-female-athlete-cellulite) posted by another member. It is very well written.

The author has very nice abs. Maybe she has focused on her abs. I think if she were to focus on workouts that LIFT the backside, then it would help.

Have a look at this girl's transformation:

http://keep-calm-stay-healthy.tumblr.com/post/50721123797/i-am-getting-many-questions-about-how-what-i-did
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    scientific explaination - i will try,

skin is connected to something else (:/), underneath the subcutanious fat, by lots of little fibres. when the fat between these two planes becomes too much it bulges in an unsightly way - okay sorry, it wasn't very scientific.

so, when you lose fat it gradually stops bulging and will eventually go away.

massage and exfoliating will help the appearance a wee bit in the meantime. :)

edit: i second the coffee - i use a homemade scrub occasionally with, coconut oil, almond oil, (cheapest i can find) filter coffee and sugar. (better than buying an expensive cream with a miniscule amount of caffeine that doesn't work)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The author has very nice abs. Maybe she has focused on her abs. I think if she were to focus on workouts that LIFT the backside, then it would help.

She worked a traditional bodybuilding lifting routine & now does CrossFit. She squats. It doesn't help. You cannot control cellulite. The author of that blog even says, "Keep in mind that your own progress will always differ from the progress of others. No two bodies are alike."
  • ctinawilson
    ctinawilson Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You cannot get rid of cellulite by scrubbing or brushing your body.

The reason these methods have a temporary positive effects is that they swell the tissue under the skin and therefore the cellulite is less visible. Body brushing is great for exfoliation, that's all.

Cellulite is a layer of fat, covered by strings of tissue which appear as a lattice in women and more striped in men - that's why men's cellulite is less noticeable.

The fat pushes against the lattice and creates the bumps.

Yes, there is a relationship between higher body fat percentage and cellulite, however this does not mean it will disappear when you lose fat - women are designed to hold more weight around the areas that also happen to show cellulite, so even ladies with very low body fat %, may still hold cellulite on thighs / buttocks.

I hope this helps - I was convinced I could get rid of cellulite and started shopping online for the 'best brush' i could find, that was when i came across videos / articles and blogs by a variety of people, some dermatologists / doctors, stating that the marketing behind these products is based on nothing but a temporary swell in your tissue.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It might, it might not. Even "skinny" people can have cellulite. Is just a type of fat.

Cellulite is not a type of fat.

It is a description of the way fat accumulates.on some people. For the purposes of this thread some people means most women.

Pods of fat become disconnected from each other as the skin's connective tissue deteriorates with age. The skin dimples between the fat lumps

Young smooth skin:

connectivetissueconnectivetissueconnectivetissue
    ====fat==========fat==================
    connectivetissueconnectivetissueconnectivetissue

Connective tissue deteriorates with age and breaks occur causes depressions or dimples in the skin:

connectivetissue==========DIMPLE====connectivetissue===DIMPLE=======
    =========================fat========================fat =============
    connectivetissue==========DIMPLE===connectivetissue=====DIMPLE=connectivetissue
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ah pox, my dimples didn't line up!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Cellulite is not a type of fat.

It is a description of the way fat accumulates.on some people. For the purposes of this thread some people means most women.

Pods of fat become disconnected from each other as the skin's connective tissue deteriorates with age. The skin dimples between the fat lumps

this is wrong ^

what the girl above you said is right - same as me, she just described it much, much better.

granted it is not a type of fat - i'll give you that.