Insomnia and eat at night

Options
Hi I started about 3 weeks ago, having a lot of problems at night .I have insomnia I do great during the day but at night after husband goes to bed and I'am up till 2-3 am I talk myself into food. Does anyone else have a problem like this. I'am 61 yrs old and have diabetis and a whole lot of other things wrong. I need to lose this weight. I started walking a mile a day and try to ride my bike 15 minutes at night. Would like to get to know others around my age. Good luck to all of you!

Replies

• parksam6
    Options
    what do you eat? i have a similar problem, and my doc told me to eat something really grainy like a bowl of cereal. like shredded wheat. but with your diabetes i'm not so sure about that. are you hungry? or is it a boredom kind of thing? you might ask your md, and have a look at what you are putting in your diet that could be keeping you up. like anything sweet or a stimulating activity that might be your hang up. i dont know if that helped. :}
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have stress induced insomnia and part of my natural rhythm anyway is to wake up in the night for an hour or so between 2-3. I usually hold on to 100 or so calories for a yogurt, or some crackers and cheese, during those night haunts.

I will also drink a cup of milk or make myself some hot chocolate or chamomile tea, depending on the weather.

If I don't have those extra Kcals, I will find something active for me to do. I usually clean the kitchen and do the dishes during those hours. Once I kicked on the vacuum.

I have even resorted to turning on FitTV and doing whatever is on there.

Once I am sleepy and yawning again, I trip back to bed.

Behavioral therapists say and I will testify, this works, the bed should be for sleep and sex only. Don't sit up and read or watch TV or play games in bed. Your brain will stop associating the bed with sleep. Get up and do something until you feel tired again. Or at the very least, go watch TV somewhere else... Or dungeon raid on your laptop somewhere else. What? My lvl43 healer needed to level.
  • KarenJean81
    KarenJean81 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My mother swears I was born nocturnal, even as a baby I would be up half the night. I find it hard to resist snacking and now I try to drink 1-2 glasses of water if I feel the urge to snack while reading or watching bad infomercials, usually it helps me feel a bit fuller and then if I still want a snack, it's easier to go for something light. I'm not sure if a lot of water at night would be a good idea with your diabetes, but I thought I'd share my "coping mechanism".
    Good Luck!
  • AsMama
    Options
    I keep Special K the chocolate kind and if I get my sweet tooth at night I grab a hand full. It seems to fix my issue.
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    I am definitely feeling your pain here. It's 124 am and I just ate some crackers and crab dip. and had 24 oz of water. I think what people are saying is true. Definitely think of what you are eating or drinking before you go to bed. Make sure that nothing has caffeine in it. And very very very true about watching tv or having lights on while you are in bed. The noise keeps your brain awake and stimulated....even when you think you are asleep, you're brain and body is still being stimulated. So turn it off. LOL. I hope it works out for you and still talk to your doctor if the insomnia continues.....Best of luck to you!

Nina
  • bdcoy
    bdcoy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I turn the lights off and my bedroom is completely black, not a lite at all . I cover up ,close my eyes and my mind goes wild, thinking of everything. I try to tell myself to think of nothing ,but it does help. like last night I went to bed slept for 3 hours ,woke right up, couldn't go back to sleep,so I went to he living room turned on some boring movie, watched tv for about 3.5 hours then went to bes and sleep till 8:00 am.