FRUIT & VEGGIE CHALLENGE!!

Options

Replies

• inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I bought some V8 today to help me out with my veggie intake! It's pretty tasty.
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    did great today. I got in 9 fruits and veggies today. It was really pretty easy and yummy!!
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I'm in. My job provides fresh fruit everyday (for free)... I'm gonna take advantage.

This will work well with my Paleo Diet attempt...
  • MardellD
    Options
    Please count me in!!! I get alot of fruits and veggies as I am a vegan however I think that I could use some motivations to make sure I am still getting enough each day. Would love to exchange recipes and ideas to so if you want add me as a friend :)
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    So after getting off to a rough start I think I'm finally pulling it together! As usual, it's the veggies that are tough for me to get in so I'm focusing on adding more veggies to my lunch menu!! I'm still falling a bit short but every day seems to get better!!!!

How's everyone else doing?
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I bought V8 Fusion juice which gives me 1/4 cup of fruits and 1/4 cup veggies for every cup of juice. It's pretty delicious too, so that's good. :)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how much dry coleslaw mix would be in a vegetable serving? In other words, how many servings in 2 cups dry, etc? Thanks!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I think it's half a cup - what does the back of the bag say?

As for my progress, I have been experiencing a lack of interest in food the last few days. It's been really tough getting in enough food, let alone fruit & veg. Thinking about it, I should probably just juice it and be done with it, but I hate how high in sugar the juices are and fibre is a fairly major concern for me....:blushing:

I am getting 4-6 a day. Prefer to be getting 6-8.
  • brightpink
    brightpink Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    B U M P :wink:
  • blankiefinder
    Options

As for my progress, I have been experiencing a lack of interest in food the last few days. It's been really tough getting in enough food, let alone fruit & veg. Thinking about it, I should probably just juice it and be done with it, but I hate how high in sugar the juices are and fibre is a fairly major concern for me....:blushing:

The serving size is 1.5 cups on the back of the bag, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that equals one serving of veg's, does it? Like on my kids Fruit Source minis... the recommended serving size is 14 of them, and it states that that equals 2 servings.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    i like the way you think!
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Different websites seem to list different serving sizes. This is the website I'm going to use, it's done by the Canadian gov't.

Fruit and Vegie Serving Size Info: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/choose-choix/fruit/serving-portion-eng.php
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    :wink: I agree people are not eating there FRUITS AND VEGGIES. We need them! I try to every day get them in. At breakfest I add fruit or pumpkin to my oatbran, Lunch is generally raw veggies and dinner is steamed. We need both cooked and raw veggies. Sometimes I eat raw at dinner and steamed at lunch and then I eat fruit as a snack with a source of protien. Good luck everyone. Add them here and there and you will get them in
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I know this was started awhile ago but this is my biggest challenge. I am going to make a goal to eat 5 servings of fruits or veggies a day. Once I can get that down I will up it from there!

Question: Does hummus count as a veggie serving since it is made with chickpeas?
  • fitterpam
    Options
    I've always been so good with this stuff and all of a sudden, I'm falling apart. Lucky to get 4-5 in a day. There was one point (when I juiced everyday) I was up to 12-14 servings a day.

If I'm counting the peaches in my peaches and cream oatmeal as .5 serving....there is a problem. My goal for the week is to get 7 servings of F&V without counting in .5 servings!!!! If it's juice, it's going to be from my juicer so I know what went into it.

Time to kick my own butt.
  • fitterpam
    Options

The serving size is 1.5 cups on the back of the bag, but that doesn't necessarily mean that that equals one serving of veg's, does it? Like on my kids Fruit Source minis... the recommended serving size is 14 of them, and it states that that equals 2 servings.

You're right. I am pretty sure though that for most fruit and veg a serving size is between 1/2 and 1 cup. I was just curious what it said on the back of the bag - sometimes they correlate and sometimes, the bag is a multiple of the actual serving (sometimes not though. Some juices are 800mL and a serving is 1/2 cup....what are you supposed to do with that last 50mL?!?!?!). Did you get an answer?
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Since I am a vegetarian it would be unfair for me to join the challenge since I eat beyond the recommended as you stated. :laugh: :blushing:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    I'm late to the party, but I'd love to join in! I have had a backslide on my fruit and veggie intake since my garden has, for the most part, ended its season. I was eating a full cucumber during meals, lots of watermelon and other things but lately, not so much :(

I feel like i am finally getting the hang of upping my protein w/out eating much more meat (i am not a big meat eater usually) and limiting my carbs (my biggest downfall!) but water intake and F/V intake are areas i really need to improve upon.

That said, my breakfast thus far has been a tall glass of water and a banana :) Off to a good start!

Feel free to do a friend request :)

Amy
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Should this be only Natural fruits and veggies...or even processed...i.e. Fruit juice v/s real fruit
  • blankiefinder
    Options

You're right. I am pretty sure though that for most fruit and veg a serving size is between 1/2 and 1 cup. I was just curious what it said on the back of the bag - sometimes they correlate and sometimes, the bag is a multiple of the actual serving (sometimes not though. Some juices are 800mL and a serving is 1/2 cup....what are you supposed to do with that last 50mL?!?!?!). Did you get an answer?

Pam,

Different sites listed different amounts ranging from .5 to 1 cup. The Canadian Food Guide site from the link I posted earlier lists 1/2 cup of cabbage as a serving, so I decided that I would just go with the half cup. :)