HALP! strength training 3x/wk and calorie adjustment

Options
So just curious to hear from all the MFP heavy lifters out there, I have been a cardio junkie so far and have done 0 toning/strengthening...because I freakin hate it and its hard haha. But to force myself to do it, I have gotten a personal trainer 3x/wk. I am just curious how my calorie intake needs to be altered as I am still lifting for weight loss, not mass. I'm more focused on my body fat % than my weight but I do have at least 25lbs to go. My real question is, I've been shooting for 1,460kcal/day and I usually get pretty close to that. Is that a reasonable amount of calories to treat my muscles right and still lose weight? Should I increase my calories? Should I stick to 1460 but go super heavy on cabs and protein? I don't know how to eat for strength training and I feel like a rah-tard. haha HALP

Replies

• amberchammock
    Options
    Bump
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat your exercise calories back while exercising. If you feel extra hungry or have muscle spasms, you might need to increase the calories a bit. I ran into a little trouble when I had too much deficit and lifting, it was affecting my heart. I had to increase my calories. Just listen to your body. Make sure you get enough protein and hydration.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Hey,

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

use this to calculate your intake needs - don't eat back exercise calories.

use either 1g of protein per bodyweight, or 0.82 (custom setting)

no lower than .4g for fat, rest into carbs
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting heavy (BWx1 on squats and deadlifts) and still on a 300-500 cal per day deficit as I'm looking to reduce BF%. Mostly working on 300 deficit max on lifting days and up to 500 on non lifting days, but I've only got around 8lbs to go. Important to make sure you have the energy to do a decent workout but a deficit is still fine. I aim at 1g protein per lb lean mass but otherwise fairly relaxed about my macros's. (I stay in the right area but don't sweat too much if I'm a little out) Folks will do a number of variations on this theme but this is working for me at the mo.

Good luck with it but hope you can find a way to enjoy the lifting, I've not had much success sticking at things I hate to do!!! Fortunately I'm loving the lifting, feels pretty good to feel strong and see those numbers going up each week, I'm a newbie and still getting some respect at my gym. That's a pretty good feeling for an ex chubby!!!!
  • Traveezy
    Traveezy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey,

is the 40/40/20 not good to go by? its what I've been doing.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Hey,

is the 40/40/20 not good to go by? its what I've been doing.

Ratio's don't mean anything,, as there is no correct "ratio".

Whilst what you're doing may be working doesn't mean its optimal, but because you've asked I assume because you're a guy you want the best optimal results for weight training.

The numbers I listed above are the minimums in a guideline that is followed over at bodybuilding.com.
  • Traveezy
    Options
    well I am weight training but my goal right now is dropping a crap load of fat. according to these online calcs im at like 29%bf. im just weight training while im dieting to keep from losing a lot of muscle while im trimming down. so are those number for muscle building or what? im not eating that much fat and im eating like double those carbs. if I follow that carbs would be the macro that I eat the least of. the protein is pretty close, I eat a lot of protein already.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    well I am weight training but my goal right now is dropping a crap load of fat. according to these online calcs im at like 29%bf. im just weight training while im dieting to keep from losing a lot of muscle while im trimming down. so are those number for muscle building or what? im not eating that much fat and im eating like double those carbs. if I follow that carbs would be the macro that I eat the least of. the protein is pretty close, I eat a lot of protein already.

Those numbers are minimums for fat loss or muscle gain.

Personally I go with

1g of protein per 1 lb of bodyweight (so I round to 150g protein)

and 0.4g of fat per 1 lb of bodyweight (around 63g)

I dropped 65 lbs weight training 3x a week, no cardio.
  • Traveezy
    Options
    nice.. ok ty for the advice
  • lisamarie447
    lisamarie447 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU Amber, for posting this.... :-)
  • amberchammock
    Options
    Ok, so are you saying to squeeze all my protein and fat cals into my 1460 or up my intake to accommodate increased protein?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Ok, so are you saying to squeeze all my protein and fat cals into my 1460 or up my intake to accommodate increased protein?

give me your height age and current weight
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Hey,

I'm a 47 yr old female. I've had two weeks of vacationing and probably a few weeks before that at maintenance. Had to garner motivation again after not succeeding in weight loss since I started at the end of June. I'm going to get very serious about losing some weight starting tomorrow. Or shifting fat into muscle. Hopefully both.

Using this calculator, my TDEE is 1947 and BMR is 1331. Working out five days per week.
    I will have my goal amount of calories set at 1600 with protein at 120g, fat 71g and carbs at 120g.

My schedule for exercise will be Monday, Wed and Fri weight days with p90x. Tuesday and Thursday with Les MIls Combat and Insanity workouts. Should I eat more on the weekends if I work out? I will do 2 to 5 hour mountain bike rides on the weekend until winter sets in.

If I follow this, should I see results?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Hey,

I'm a 47 yr old female. I've had two weeks of vacationing and probably a few weeks before that at maintenance. Had to garner motivation again after not succeeding in weight loss since I started at the end of June. I'm going to get very serious about losing some weight starting tomorrow. Or shifting fat into muscle. Hopefully both.

Using this calculator, my TDEE is 1947 and BMR is 1331. Working out five days per week.
    I will have my goal amount of calories set at 1600 with protein at 120g, fat 71g and carbs at 120g.

My schedule for exercise will be Monday, Wed and Fri weight days with p90x. Tuesday and Thursday with Les MIls Combat and Insanity workouts. Should I eat more on the weekends if I work out? I will do 2 to 5 hour mountain bike rides on the weekend until winter sets in.

If I follow this, should I see results?

You should see results yes, but the exercise seems a bit excessive - you need time to rest too.. but if you can handle it, try it for a while see how it goes, although just normal strength weight training 3x a week would be more beneficial.
  • Gee45
    Options
    You should see results yes, but the exercise seems a bit excessive - you need time to rest too.. but if you can handle it, try it for a while see how it goes, although just normal strength weight training 3x a week would be more beneficial.

I was doing this (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html) monday, wednesday and friday for about three weeks along with cardio and bike riding.

The only problem is that my highest weights are 20lbs. I wasn't sure that was going to do much for me until I buy something higher. I'm also worried about how my arms and wrists will handle heavier weights.
    P90x seems to be a program more suited for 10s, 15s and 20 lbs until I can buy heavier weights or else get a gym membership.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

I was doing this (http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html) monday, wednesday and friday for about three weeks along with cardio and bike riding.

The only problem is that my highest weights are 20lbs. I wasn't sure that was going to do much for me until I buy something higher. I'm also worried about how my arms and wrists will handle heavier weights.
    P90x seems to be a program more suited for 10s, 15s and 20 lbs until I can buy heavier weights or else get a gym membership.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

this is the kind of training i suggest :) but obviously it maybe limited if you cant get the equipment/go to a gym - endof the day something is better than nothing if you cant
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough protein, cut down on sugar and carbs. Unused carbs turns into sugar, therefore turns into fat. You should talk to your trainer and ask him what you should eat for calories, as he/she knows the routine you are on, but NEVER eat your calories back if you are trying to lose weight, you will just be maintaining the weight you are at right now.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough protein, cut down on sugar and carbs. Unused carbs turns into sugar, therefore turns into fat. You should talk to your trainer and ask him what you should eat for calories, as he/she knows the routine you are on, but NEVER eat your calories back if you are trying to lose weight, you will just be maintaining the weight you are at right now.

You don't need to cut down on sugar, and sugar does not turn to fat - if you are in a caloric deficit nothing turns to fat.
  • Gee45
    Options
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

this is the kind of training i suggest :) but obviously it maybe limited if you cant get the equipment/go to a gym - endof the day something is better than nothing if you cant

Thanks for the info. :) I"m going to be looking into second hand equipment such as barbells and a bench.

Always after I complete the weight routine, I think to myself, wow this is amazing on one hand I do sweat doing it but it doesn't feel that hard. I'm used to doing intense cardio, HIIT workouts or my mountain biking where my heart rate is sky high alot of the time. I keep thinking, how can this really work?
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options

You don't need to cut down on sugar, and sugar does not turn to fat - if you are in a caloric deficit nothing turns to fat.

Carbs and sugar are the same thing... never understood why they are listed separate.

I was always under the impression it was calculated grams (protein/fat) per kilogram of bodyweight?