Is this normal weight loss? Can it be bad?

Options
I came back from a Vegas trip that confronted me with a sad fact: Heart Attack Burger was my kinda joint and the people in there were heading down the same dead end health-wise.
This trip ended July 22nd 2013.
When I weighed myself at the entrance of Heart Attack I showed a whopping 244.3 lbs, wearing only shorts, t-shirt and sneakers. For a 5'11", 42 yrs old, guy that is not good at all. I have the photo to back it up.

It somehow dawned on me that I needed to lose weight urgently lest I'd become a casualty of my own lack of self-control.
So I started a rigorous diet the day I came back, July 22nd.
I started a 1200 calorie diet that would allow me to lose a healthy 2lbs a week or so and I started to do moderate exercise. That exercise is no more than walking a minimum of 4 miles a day and running twice a week for 30 minutes.

Here is the problem: at the start of all this, a mere month ago, my home scale consistently weighed me in at 239.7 lbs.
On that same scale, after 4 weeks, I hit 216 lbs.

That's on average well in excess of 5 lbs a week. I do sometimes come in well under my calorie goals as I am eating no read meats and focus on greens and vitamin/protein smoothies.
I also do not feel weak. As a matter of fact, we did a 10 mile walk through steep dunes today on very little in calories.

Am I heading for a complete metabolic shut down? Has anyone seen this type of weight loss pace before and did it work out OK for you?
I am happy but worried about the pace at which this is going, It took me 12 years to create the fat-coat...

R
PS: I am heading for 190 lbs.

Replies

• Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think it's somewhat normal for someone who has drastically changed their diet and began regularly exercising. The weight loss should slow down soon. As long as your not starving yourself, then It's not unhealthy.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I think you are eating too little. according to this calculator http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ you should be eating more like 2,000 calories a day. With the stats you gave, your TDEE is around 2700 calories a day and your BMR is about 2,000.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I think you're right to be concerned. 1200 is not enough imo. As a female, I try to stay right around 1500, and I think it's more like 1800 for males. Personally I think it's better to eat a little over that mark rather than under. I know for me, eating too low calories will drop weight quick at first, but then totally backfire. So yeah, I think you're in for a metabolic mess up.

I'd focus on good nutrition, balanced smaller meals through the day (like every 2.5 to 3 hours), with a bit of protein, complex carb, and throw in some healthy fats here and there in the day. It's not as rapid a loss at the beginning perhaps, but if you keep working out, especially if you're building muscle, after about 8 weeks of consistency your metabolism starts to kick into high gear. Well, that's my experience anyway.

And btw-- I lost 60 pounds five years ago doing what I advised above. Regained 80 lbs due to emotional eating in response to trauma in my life, lost 25 of it doing what I advised above, then I flipped out and tried to undereat-- didn't work! I'm back at 0! I learned my lesson. (I hope...)
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I came back from a Vegas trip that confronted me with a sad fact: Heart Attack Burger was my kinda joint and the people in there were heading down the same dead end health-wise.
    When I weighed myself at the entrance of Heart Attack I showed a whopping 244.3 lbs, wearing only shorts, t-shirt and sneakers. For a 5'11", 42 yrs old, guy that is not good at all. I have the photo to back it up.

It somehow dawned on me that I needed to lose weight urgently lest I'd become a casualty of my own lack of self-control.
    I started a 1200 calorie diet that would allow me to lose a healthy 2lbs a week or so and I started to do moderate exercise. That exercise is no more than walking a minimum of 4 miles a day and running twice a week for 30 minutes.

Here is the problem: at the start of all this, a mere month ago, my home scale consistently weighed me in at 239.7 lbs.

That's on average well in excess of 5 lbs a week. I do sometimes come in well under my calorie goals as I am eating no read meats and focus on greens and vitamin/protein smoothies.
    I also do not feel weak. As a matter of fact, we did a 10 mile walk through steep dunes today on very little in calories.

Am I heading for a complete metabolic shut down? Has anyone seen this type of weight loss pace before and did it work out OK for you?
    I am happy but worried about the pace at which this is going, It took me 12 years to create the fat-coat...

R

I wouldn't worry about it. When you have a lot to start with you can lose a lot fast. If you start feeling hungrier, then add a few hundred calories back a day. you've got plenty of room to work with.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options

And btw-- I lost 60 pounds five years ago doing what I advised above. Regained 80 lbs due to emotional eating in response to trauma in my life, lost 25 of it doing what I advised above, then I flipped out and tried to undereat-- didn't work! I'm back at 0! I learned my lesson. (I hope...)

It kind of makes it sound like you gained all the weight back by under eating. Of course you didn't.

Regardless of whether you are eating 1000 calories or 1800 calories, if you flip out and start binging again eating more than you expend, then you'll gain it back.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I have read enough to know that 1200 calories for a guy is way too little. Even if you weren't exercising-and you are! 4 miles/day is great and burns--especially for a guy. Men just burn more and lose easier. You are under 30 lbs from your goal. Why don't you try eating at least 1800/day and see how you do. You dropped a chunk, I'm sure you feel better, and it wouldn't hurt to slow down the loss and eat a little more. You should not gain. You might the first week, but then you will level out and lose again I bet. And even if you have energy, you are not doing your body any favors. I am 58 and I eat 1400-1500 calories/day. You are young and active--don't freak out about adding. Losing weight is not the only reason--we are all in this to be Healthy too!

You have done great but you might want to consider tweaking the plan a little. Watch your sugars and add good fats or protein. You might want to start throwing some weights around. Even this old lady pumps iron! Good Luck for continued success!
  • bogdansoactar
    bogdansoactar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Meh. Im on 1200 cals net and ran a half ironman in 6hrs 20. That was a full hour faster than the same race last year when i was 20kgs heavier. I think my weight loss was a similar rate to yours and ive also eliminated meat, processed food and alcohol from my diet. I've got a marathon this weekend and im sure i'll be about an hour faster than last year. I've been able to maintain a training load of 60kms running per week. To tell you the truth, I've never felt better. However, when I get to my target weight I intend to move to a 'maintenance' level calorie intake. Maybe about 1800 cals.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm a shortish older female and my doctor told me that 1200 wasn't enough for me so I'm pretty certain it's not enough for a younger male.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

R

It's working, keep going. Congrats.

BUT

Figure out what you're going to do when it stops working. Because it will. 1200 is DOABLE but likely not SUSTAINABLE.

Before too long, I'd start ramping up calories bit-by-bit. That way you can "target" that 190 lbs and at the same time figure out how many calories you're going to need in a day in order to maintain.

Good luck, and congrats again on our transformation and 'Aha! Moment.'
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My first 3 months I lost 68 of my 69 lbs. after being informed by three separate doctors that the best I could hope for is 1/2 to 1/2 lb a week if that following MY plan. I never give people advice in what they should do in this area but I can say what I do, what I have done and what I believe to be true for me.

I am not concerned but rather thrilled, my doctor is happy and surprised.
  • jimbob2010
    Options
    no such thing as metobolic shutdown/starvation mode it's a myth but as many have said 1200 isn't enough and although you are getting fab results you wouldn't be able to sustain it long term BTW men lose weight quicker than women anyhow proven fact because men have less body fat coz they don't have babies etc also men have more lean muslce tissue than women and usually more pyhsical jobs

well done
  • rickvw1970
    Options
    ALright everyone, thanks for the great perspectives. I figure I will keep on going like this 2 more weeks to see if this rate keeps up. I am certainly getting all my nutrients via the smoothie (superfood, whey protein, vitamins and minerals and fresh veggies and fruit).
    Once I get closer to my 190 goal (say 205) I am going to kick in more weight training, p90x stuff.

Somehow I am throughly enjoying the exercise and the energy from the new diet.
    Thanks again, great to hear from others that have experience.

Rick
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!