Leigh Peele on Starvation Mode [Must See]

Options
13»

Replies

• Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Very confusing. Not sure if I should eat less now. Not sure.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    What interested me most was him saying that u will gain weight when u re-feed, but it's not fat. It is food composition; water, and hormones? Something like that? I probably got that alittle wrong, but I think I got the jest of it. I believe this. I recently went on a vacation and came back weighing 4 lbs more. I knew I ate alot, but I also know I didn't eat near enough to gain 4lbs of fat, nor even cl9se to that. But I didn't really know what it was. Now I know. It took about 4-5 days at most to see the 4 lbs gone. I also know I didn't eat at such a huge enough deficit to lose 4 lbs in 4 days neither. Proof #2 that the 4lbs weren't fat.

OP, am I correct?
  • michaelmadonna
    michaelmadonna Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Bump to save
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Bump for later use
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    What interested me most was him saying that u will gain weight when u re-feed, but it's not fat. It is food composition; water, and hormones? Something like that? I probably got that alittle wrong, but I think I got the jest of it. I believe this. I recently went on a vacation and came back weighing 4 lbs more. I knew I ate alot, but I also know I didn't eat near enough to gain 4lbs of fat, nor even cl9se to that. But I didn't really know what it was. Now I know. It took about 4-5 days at most to see the 4 lbs gone. I also know I didn't eat at such a huge enough deficit to lose 4 lbs in 4 days neither. Proof #2 that the 4lbs weren't fat.

OP, am I correct?

Yes, because more food is entering your body, and because you're eating carbs which hold water etc.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    bump
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    This got a bit technical. I did my very best to read through, and read through the comments.

I've "plateaued" currently. I previously got down to 163, back up to 179 after our honeymoon, but I'm currently stuck at 172. But I'm exercising this time around, building strength. No, I'm not saying I have 10 pounds of muscle.

But the difference I've notice this time around- I crave things. I try to crave it smart, though. If I'm craving a bag of potato chips, I realize I probably need salt. I find myself craving red meat a lot. So I have red meat.

I had previously worried I damaged my metabolism by getting down to 162. But after reading this article, I realize my body is comfortable at this body fat percentage. And realistically, as a woman, that's ok. Because of how I'm built, that body fat sits in different places than others.

I think my body is saying "If you want to exercise, you will be this weight and body fat. It is what it is"

Did I miss the point?
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Did I miss the point?

What IS your bodyfat percentage?

The article is telling you that your body wants to store fat. There's a "fat buffer" everybody has to remain healthy, known as essential fat. Technically your body would be comfortable at any point over this number.

Essential fat for women is around 12%, for men it's about 3%.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Did I miss the point?

The article is telling you that your body wants to store fat. There's a "fat buffer" everybody has to remain healthy, known as essential fat. Technically your body would be comfortable at any point over this number.

My body fat is in the low 20s. Can't be sure, as I know those scales that measure them can be off a bit.

I think it's very dangerous to tell a woman to operate at 12% body fat, as my gynecologist said I was at an optimal body fat percentage for child rearing. Granted, not every woman's goal is child rearing.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Did I miss the point?

My body fat is in the low 20s. Can't be sure, as I know those scales that measure them can be off a bit.

I think it's very dangerous to tell a woman to operate at 12% body fat, as my gynecologist said I was at an optimal body fat percentage for child rearing. Granted, not every woman's goal is child rearing.

He didn't say women should operate at 12. He said it is essential.
  • Amytrue1
    Amytrue1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump to read/view later
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Some how people (and tv shows and all this other crap) think that in order to lose weight... you have to eat next to nothing... Completely wrong.. Gotta eat to see results.. and you gotta have breaks.. in that article you see the diet time and then the break time.. there are some people on here that have been dieting for a year + and wonder why nothing happens...
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Well, that's the point. "Essential" fat is nigh-on too low. Most women find a comfortable or adequate level of leanness at around 15-20%

If you're almost sure your bodyfat percentage is around the low 20s (I would get some callipers and have someone perform some skin-fold measurements to be more sure, personally) and you're still unhappy with how much bodyfat you appear to have, then you probably need to work on adding more lean mass to your frame - as you're doing. You may find you're slightly heavier at a lower bodyfat to LBM ratio, and realise your body doesn't sit at a certain level of leanness based on an arbitrary number.

If that makes sense.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this... it was more than helpful in answering a few questions that I had :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book? Starve Mode...
    Wondering if it's worth purchasing.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    bump