Experiences that really, deeply changed you

Options

Replies

• elledeery
    elledeery Posts: 866
    Options
    - Being badly bullied from junior high right through high school, I was pushed down stairs, barked at, called ugly and manly, girls called me a wh*re and a sl*t even though in reality I didn't end up losing my virginity until I was out of high school almost a year and had only a little experience with one boyfriend.

- Meeting the guy lives down the road from me who took me on a rollercoaster ride of emotions from age 13 to age 23, we were always close, there were always feelings, we had kissed several times throughout the years but one of us always ended up with someone else. He wrote a huge online journal about how I was what he wanted in his life but he just couldn't get it together and leave everyone else alone long enough to make it happen, everytime we tried something always went wrong. The final time we spent together we finally got to be alone, we had sex and didn't speak for months after because the years of build up were so intense and the feelings were so much stronger it was scary. We spoke again afterwards but I ended up happily elsewhere as did he as far as I can see but he still slows down by my house and looks when he sees me going out. He's the reason why I had such a hard time believing people when they expressed their feelings for me and why I always believed no man would be faithful to one when there was so much sex available to them at any given moment, I still struggle with it to this day and probably always will.

- My first long term relationship, we were together two years, he had a horrible temper and was always on dating sites or sending naked pictures to random girls online but denied it whenever it came up and went crazy about it. The night we broke up we were at a secluded park sat in the parking lot and he was fighting with me, it was about midnight and he was getting extremely heated, I was scared so I got out of the car, when I did he got out as well, got up in my face screaming, we fought some more then he took a swing at me, thankfully I managed to duck it then he got in his car and drove off leaving me all alone to walk home which would have taken me at least three or four hours and who knows what could have happened in a dark secluded place especially being a lone female. I will never be my old self after that, there was so much shaming and intimidation that I'm awkward showering, going to the bathroom and sexually, I close my eyes and flinch if anyone comes at me too quickly or moves their hand too close to my face and I don't trust anyone, I'm always afraid of being abandoned or cheated on.

- Finding out I have a disease that stops blood flow to the small bones in my wrist and hand gradually causing them to melt away then later learning that said disease is progressing so rapidly that the damage I have shouldn't be occurring until I'm at least at mid life. It's difficult to be 25 years old and seeing yourself get worse so rapidly that you have trouble with the smallest everyday tasks like opening a bottle, buttoning clothes, undoing bras, getting in and out of the shower. I had a follow up appointment to see the progression a few weeks ago, it was discovered my strength has even decreased since May and I'm now booked for a partial fusion surgery in November which will turn into a full fusion when I'm older. It's eye opening and frustrating to go from being strong as an ox having no trouble to having to ask someone to open your drink or bottle of arthritis meds because even the arthritis friendly bottle is too difficult for you.

- My grandmother developing dementia, it's heartbreaking to see such a strong woman go from someone who spent her life raising four girls as a widow then practically raising all of her grandchildren because we all wanted to spend so much time with her to a frail woman who doesn't know anyone anymore and just sits in her chair looking bewildered and in another world more often than not, who can no longer be left alone and who can no longer dress or clean herself without assistance.
  • tpop917
    tpop917 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It this order:

Losing my BFF to breast cancer when she was 39

Facing my own mortality and changing my life outlook.

My husband finding his BFF dead in our basement from a massive heart attack at the age of 42

My dad dying from Pancreatic Cancer

I now realize that life is short and that you should not wait for the "bucket list", but rather get busy living now because there may not be a tomorrow.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Everybody has them: experiences that changed your life, your way of thinking, how you look upon things.
    Sometimes you created them yourself, sometimes it just happened to you.

I'm curious to read yours.

Unless you know me in person, you would not believe a lot of my events some hysterically funny others horrendous - friends tell me I should write a book. :smile: So I share a few items that come to mind (in no particular order). I would like to thank others for sharing, many a story and many strong folks.

-- Military Brat.
    -- New Englander.
    -- Kennedy Assassination.
    -- Air Raid Drills.
    -- Mount Washington, NH.
    -- First cigarette.
    -- Yellowstone National Park.
    -- Motherhood.
    -- Family tree research.
    -- Realizing my past experiences have made me who I am today.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    Getting cheated on, I would say.
    This was a while back in my freshman year of high school, but the guy I was dating kissed another girl in school. He and I had only been together a few months, but I've always been more mature(I think) and the feelings I feel are real.
    After he cheated(and I found out he'd been lying to me the whole relationship about various things) I'm unable to trust people so easily, since a lot was revealed from that one experience. I lost over half of my friends, because they chose him over me (he was the hot, cool guy and most of my friends also had crushes on him and I was the quirky, weird girl who was "lucky to even be with him.")

Not much else has happened to me honestly.
  • DarcyGibbs
    Options
    Now, I don't want to sound insensitive, but for me no persecution ever changed me. Maybe they got something wrong when they wired me up, but I don't give a **** about other peoples negativity, even less if it is directed towards me. I have always lived with the quote "a wolf does not concern itself with the opinions of sheep" close to my heart. With that said, the most profound moment of my life was the moment I truly accepted that the time I have to left live is finite. There is a definite end coming, so each second wasted is never to be refunded to me. For me this changed my entire approach to life and what my priorrities were. I guess I'm lucky I had that moment at the age of 19.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    from Feb-May on and off i felt like i was being torn in 1/2. it killed my spirit. thanks for asking
  • nino07110922
    nino07110922 Posts: 2,149
    Options
    @CP.... but you made it, and you're hear. I think Winston Churchill may have said, "When you find yourself going through hell... keep going." You did... and you look the better for it. ;-)
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    eh...
    Military Brat
    Aunt OD on heroin
    parents divorce
    parents marriage to others
    development of EDNOS
    step mom cancer (she beat that crap too!)
    teen mother
    bunch of junk drug induced abusive relationships in between
    finally got my crap straight
    death of a grandchild (she was 7)
    new birth of a special needs grandchild
    beating EDNOS once and for all (I hope)
    tired of seeing our fallen angles coming home (member of our local Patriot Guard)

...things that suck all humanity out of you until you get back up and kick that *kitten* back and don't let it win...it contributes to who I am, but doesn't define who I am!

So yeah, kicking back!

::edit~kind of enlighting~

and everyone has overcome such hardship and still kicks back, and we keep kicking back!
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Seeing how heartbroken my friend was when someone was being a blunt, awful racist towards her.

I'd never seen anyone be treated so disrespectfully, never seen anyone hate someone so nice for no other reason than being black.

We were only 9 or so, playing tetherball at lunch and a couple of girls started to taunt her, calling her names, and being complete morons, dropping N words and what not.

(As a little white kid, I hadn't ever seen anyone be so terrible to another person because of the colour of their skin nor had I ever experienced anything like that myself)

She was graceful, refused to pay any mind to them, told me to do the same and keep playing, and it didn't go on very long before some older kids came along, physically removed them from the area and handed them over to a teacher.

I am fully aware that this didn't happen to me, but that I was a (scared) spectator to the event, but I will never forget the hurt in her eyes, the pain she held while playing it cool, and how hard she cried once everyone had left and it was just the two of us.

I will never put another human being through that.
  • Emmy501
    Emmy501 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Brother passed away

My first and only love cheated on me. Met him when I was 17. First man I ever dated, slept with, even kissed.

Becoming a single mother at 23....

The loss of my brother forever changed me. It is not easy losing anyone, but when one loses a sibling they have lost a piece of their past, present and future. When I lost my brother I did a lot of soul searching. I thought to myself is this it? Is this all my life will ever be. I soon realized that there is so much to see, learn, love and give. I miss my brother each and every day.
  • SoonToBeShreddedBrah
    Options
    Being in Hospital, holding my nans hand as she slowly passed away :( really changed my outlook on life and to appreciate those you love more. Geez what i would do to tell my nan i loved her one more time.
  • DrNerdy
    DrNerdy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    - Completing Basic Training. I know this is a pretty easy one, but I had one hell of a TI who went out of her way to make our lives hell.

- Getting married.

- The first time I saw my son. I laughed and cried at the same time.
  • catwomun
    catwomun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    - Marrying my soulmate at 22 and making a life together.
    -The death of my grandmother in the Haitian earthquake a few years ago
    -The death of my best friend due to AIDS-related cancer.
    -Graduating with my MFA in film in December after a long hiatus from film and school.
    -The separation to same husband due to his cheating on me and hitting me with a car.

Luckily, it seems that so far life gives me good and bad so here's to more good coming soon. :D
  • catwomun
    catwomun Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Brother passed away

My first and only love cheated on me. Met him when I was 17. First man I ever dated, slept with, even kissed.

The loss of my brother forever changed me. It is not easy losing anyone, but when one loses a sibling they have lost a piece of their past, present and future. When I lost my brother I did a lot of soul searching. I thought to myself is this it? Is this all my life will ever be. I soon realized that there is so much to see, learn, love and give. I miss my brother each and every day.

I feel that way about losing my grandmother and my best friend. My friend was like a brother to me and it still hurts, years later. We will make it through!
  • amohoop34
    Options
    It's funny, i've had some major things happen to me in my life. I've had emergency brain surgery, i had a high school teammate murdered, i've gotten so drunk i passed out in San Diego and woke up in Tijuana, i've got more, but its never been the big moments that have changed me. Its always the smaller subtler moments that don't seem big at the time, but still remain crystal clear to me years later:

Hearing "Oh No" by Pharoahe Monche, Mos Def, & Nate Dogg and "Rite Where U Stand" by Gangstarr on bus rides to high school basketball games. Those songs ignited my passion for hip-hop and by extension music in general. My love for music trumps everything else in my life, short of family.

Being 3 years old in Disneyland, and grabbing the hand of a man that i thought was my dad, but wasn't. My parents were right there, and all involved had a laugh about it, but i can still the feel embarrassment. I've been terrified of embarrassment my entire life, and i'm pretty certain it can be traced back to that event.

Having a co-worker comment on how much weight i've gained. He wasn't even trying to give me a hard time, just commented on it very bluntly. I realized that it must be an issue if this guy felt the need to bring it up.

Finding out a co-worker with less than 1 year experience was making more than me at a job i'd been doing for 5 years. The lack of upward mobility at my current occupation became crystal clear at that moment, and spurred me to go back to school.
  • rikwaynik
    rikwaynik Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Wow, such amazing people on here! Trying not to cry!

Same here. It's amazing what the human spirit can endure.
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    What beautiful survivors I see on this post.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I've had many over the years.

Abotu a year and a half ago though, I had some personal issues come up or finally boil over that lead to a bought with depression, anxiety, and almost giving up on everything. It changed me in ways I have NEVER wanted or thought I could face.

Long story short, I'm alive, I am still married and have two amazing boys, and I am a much better man in every sense of the word.

That whole, what doesn't kill you thing...
  • Emmy501
    Emmy501 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Brother passed away

I feel that way about losing my grandmother and my best friend. My friend was like a brother to me and it still hurts, years later. We will make it through!

Yes we will, CW. Sending you a hug! :smile:
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    - Being betrayed by my exhusband and finding out about all of his affairs during our marriage.

- Losing 130 pounds

- The birth of my 3 children

- Kicking breast cancers *kitten*

YOU are showing life who's the boss!!

Thank you :heart: