Am I The Only One That Thinks The Mirror Lies

2»

Replies

• stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    I think the mirror lies but not to make me look way skinnier usually, usually bigger, and a lot of dressing room mirrors make me look bigger than those throughout my house. and pictures vary a lot for me whether I think I'm smaller or bigger.
    As for feeling average sized, depending on where you live and who you're around, average sized might be overweight. But you should notice a 10 kg difference in clothes and things even if it was a slow gain.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Mirrors don't lie, you brain does. Most people do not see themselves as others do. The best way to get an accurate view is to take a picture.

Yeah, your mood and internal self image plays a role too. Ever notice one day you think you look really good, then the next you don't. Or right after a workout you think damn im sexy, then on a lazy day you don't...

pictures and non-judmental neutral friends
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    I think they "lie", too. I see a huge person, but my boyfriend sees a slightly overweight person.
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Is it possible your mirror is warped like a lot of the ones in dressing rooms to make you think you look thinner in the clothes?

! I thought so! same in the gym those concave mirrors making my arms look huge !
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    you bring up a good point... I notice that when I'm overweight "fit" people actually look too thin to me . like odd.

then..as I have lost weight before...the people around me who looked just fine.. started looking fat to me. and the thin people i thought were weirdly odd and made me feel uncomfortable..all of a sudden looked normal to me.

there is a real perception of fooling yourself and seeing your world to justify fatness. it is scary.

the scale doesn't like..neither do pictures.
  • mssteel90
    mssteel90 Posts: 124 Member
    When I look at myself in the mirror I see myself as much much bigger than I am, and honestly it's only logic that keeps me from trying to loose a bunch of weight, I look in the mirror I feel huge, but I buy clothes in the second smallest women's size I can get, and that is the only thing that gets my thought train back track, I can look at two pictures from the same day and think I look huge in one and too small in the other. But I know my perception of myself is dodgy at best.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Not only do some mirrors make you look thinner, but sometimes you get so used to seeing yourself a certain way that you don't realize how you've changed over time. I'm saying "you" but I'm talking about "me" lol
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    I also think that when you look in a mirror you unconsciously position your body and face in the most flattering way ie., if you are trying on an outfit to go out with your friends you probably suck in your gut, throw your shoulders back and maybe look at yourself from a side/front angle. Then when you see the pictures your friends captured of you that night you are horrified. We can put our best side forward in the bathroom mirror, but a camera someone else is holding gets tricky.
  • hgipprich
    hgipprich Posts: 10 Member
    Mirror doesn't lie, unfortunately
  • micwrites
    micwrites Posts: 120 Member
    I know what you mean. I always look thinner (much) at home and I get comfortable with that look. Build up confidence. THEN I catch my reflection in a store window and am shocked. But instead of flipping out about it, I have decided to love myself no matter which view I see. Before long, if I work as hard as I have been on getting healthy, I know I will like what I see all the time. Really, it's the inside me that counts, not the one with the big butt! ;o)
  • dzstephy
    dzstephy Posts: 357 Member
    I hope dressing room mirrors lie. While shopping today for clothes for a short trip, I checked out my butt in one of the mirrors and I wanted to cry. Talk about a wide load. Will need to start the 30 day squat challenge ASAP. However,I look great facing towards the mirror or so I think.

I also agree with one of the fellow MFP members that one's mood/attitude can alter how one perceives his or her body.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    My mirror is a liar. It didn't tell me that I wasn't the same size for years. The camera broke the hard truth to me... and THEN the mirror was willing to step up.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    It's kind of the other way with me.

If I look in the mirror, I can't really see a difference. I rely more on the fact clothing fits better and other people noticing my weight loss, and of course, the scales once a week.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    It's photographs that scare the living *kitten* out of me. I'm so used to seeing myself daily (mostly from the chest up and my boob game is tight) so I had fooled myself into thinking I couldn't look THAT bad. It's when I see pictures that I'm shocked at where I carry my extra weight and how heavy it makes me look.

Thissss!!!

Exactly this!!!! Seriously never saw how fat I was until I saw a photo. And was like :THAT'S MEEEE??????: Flipped out!
This discussion has been closed.