Veggies

Options
I am not a big fan of veggies. I am wondering if anyone has good recipes that will make veggies a regular in my house. The veggies I do like are far and few between. I am open to trying new things. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• chicgeek18
    Options
    You can put spinach or carrots in a fruit smoothie. They are not even noticeable in the taste, especially if you blend them well.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of veggies. I am wondering if anyone has good recipes that will make veggies a regular in my house. The veggies I do like are far and few between. I am open to trying new things. Thanks everyone.

Brussel sprouts fried in duck fat

Potatoes fried in duck fat

Aligot

Bacon and cherry pepper relish
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say "I'm not a fan of veggies". There are SO MANY different veggies out there, you can't just discount them all as a whole group!

I would say that you need to research recipes, find ways that you enjoy having vegetables prepared. My personal favorite is roasted veggies with balsamic vinegar. You just need to experiment.
  • chris2267
    chris2267 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found it all depends on how you prepare them. Like Brussels sprouts, you don't cook them till they are mushy. Toss with some olive oil and minced garlic and roast like 15 mins.

I find I like a bunch of raw veggies with lettuce and some chicken to make a veggie bowl.

Broccoli sautéed in a pan with coconut oil.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    the next time you saute any veggies, add some bacon slices to the pan. It will add a meaty flavor to dish and make you forget you are eating vegetables
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Basic veggies like corn, broccoli, green beans, and peas I will just cook up (frozen -> microwave) and maybe spray on a little bit of butter and use a bit of salt/pepper/garlic. I detest cooked spinach but I'll eat it raw all day. Carrots are my favorite and I will eat them raw or cooked. Same with bell peppers. Onions have to be cooked, and I like to slice them thin and cook with bell peppers in a pan for a looooong time with salt/pepper/garlic.

My "gross" veggies have to be prepared a bit more imaginatively. I will only eat cauliflower pureed (plus some chicken stock and garlic). I will only eat asparagus in soup form (my mom makes fantastic asparagus soup with just asparagus, chicken stock, and some seasoning). I will tolerate squash and zucchini grilled, but my roommate will julienne them and puts them in her spaghetti and I will DOWN that stuff. Actually I have found that tomato sauce is great for making "gross" veggies edible. My SIL even got me to eat eggplant once because she cut it in to half inch chunks and cooked it in a tomato-y sauce.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan either, and never have been but I will give them the old college try. Everyone was talking about brussel sprouts at work so I decided to try and see if I liked them. Tried just buying them frozen and heating them up and that was no good. So then I bought them fresh and cut them up and sauteed them but that was no good either. I even tried them again recently, steamed by my brother, but still didn't care for them.

Once you figure out what you like and don't - make due with the veg you like. I put big handfuls of baby romaine in my lunch wraps, snack on snow peas and cucumbers and grape tomatoes and bulk up recipes with bell peppers, musthrooms and diced tomatoes. Most of the time our veg sides are either green beans or broccoli with corn, fiddleheads and swiss chard throw in a couple times a year. Oh, also sauteed broccoli slaw with a little soy sauce and garlic throw in makes an excellent side dish.

I think a lot of dislike has to do with the preparation. I'm not a huge fan of canned veg (except diced tomatoes) as they're just too mushy and salty. So I buy fresh or frozen and steam, boil, roast or saute/stir-fry depending on what it is and what I'm doing with the veg.

This is actually the perfect time of year to experiment with all the fresh veggies. Head to the famer's market, pick up a few things and do some experimenting. You'll never know until you try!
  • l0l0p
    l0l0p Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A lot of Iceberg Lettuce wrapped around tiny portion of marinated roasted beef
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Saute 2 cloves finely chopped garlic, add one cup or handful of fresh spinach- stir and sauté until spinach is wilted, add two beaten eggs and cook however you like (scrambled, omelette, frittata, etc)

Yum!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    One way that I incorporate more veggies it I add them to my turkey burgers...zucchini, carrots, spinach just about anything that I need to use up. I actually like my turkey burgers better that way. I also do a quinoa burger the same way. It adds a lot of flavor and cuts the amount of calories in my burgers.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster...hard for me to like brussel sprouts. Recently I tried roasting them in the oven...just toss them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper...when they are almost through roasting...sprinkle with a little Parmesan cheese.

I also do cauliflower the same way...another cooked vegetable that I am not crazy about.
  • allalreadytaken
    Options
    Julienne some zucchini and use it as noodles with pasta sauce. In Australia it is hard to get spaghetti squash, but if it is available where you are, use that instead of noodles. Also, I like to slow cook heaps of veges in a curry. Just skip the rice and it's pretty low cal.