How can I help him??

Options
I love my husband dearly, and I'm really concerned about him. He's always been a bigger guy, when we met he was around 240 lbs. He has, however, over the years gained 40 lbs. He's now nearing 300 lbs, and I'm really concerned. I keep trying to talk to him about how concerned I am, but he feels that I'm attacking him. Instead of just eating dinner, he goes back for seconds or thirds all the time. I try to only keep healthy foods in the house, but because he eats SO MUCH, it's getting really expensive. He works in landscaping, so he's outside working hard all day, and he's exhausted by the time he gets home. He has no desire to work out, and he thinks that just doing ab work is going to help. His entire family is big, and they don't do much except sit at home. It's very depressing! I want him to be healthy and happy, so how can I support him? How can I push him in the right direction without being a witch about it?

Replies

• NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I have to be the bearer of bad news. Until your husband WANTS or NEEDS to change, he won't. NO matter what you say, it won't work. In most cases, something is going to have to happen in his life that forces the change OR he decides he wants to change. Everything you say will almost always come across as an attack.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You can't push him without causing problems between you. Fitness and eating properly are personal choices and no amount of nagging, cajoling or discussion will make him do what you want.

All you can do is to make smaller portions for dinner, keep healthy food in the house and do your own fitness routine. He may see what you are doing and decide to join in OR he may continue to do his own thing. There may be one day that he clicks in and eats better but it is not up to you to push him to do what you want.
  • TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the above. People always ask what "the big secret" is to weightloss - I always say it's just a question of willpower. If he doesn't really want to do it, it'll be near-impossible.
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If he's landscaping and active all day that sounds like quite a bit of exercise. Is he taking a lunch to work or grabbing something on the go? Perhaps packing him healthy food to take along might help. Trying to find his favorites but in low cal varieties could help. He may not even notice the difference (I did this with my kids) As far as the servings he eats for dinner, are you making sure you're cooking as low cal as possible? Cut back on how *much* you make at dinner time. If the meal is made for two, He can't eat what you don't make :) Don't keep high cal snacks in the house, etc. My other advice would be...if you're going to talk to him about his weight, how concerned, etc, you are...I'm not surprised he's feeling attacked. Try switching it up, telling him how important he is to you, how scared YOU are, how much YOU need him to help YOU find the right foods so you can BOTH be healthy. Put the focus on yourself rather than him. He's likely to be feeling guilty whenever you bring it up, may get angry because he feels awful already...all in how you approach things. I wish you both the best!
  • lugerron
    Options
    I used to be the very same exact way. Everyone around me would tell me about how I was hurting myself by eating so much, and telling me that it was going to catch up to me. None of the things that they said ever registered, and I kept on gaining weight. If anything I resented them for telling me the bloody obvious, even though I refused to believe the obvious. It wasn't until I noticed that my blood pressure was suddenly spiking, and that I couldn't stay awake sometimes that I was jolted into the realization that my lifestyle was killing me.

So my suggestion is to instead of just telling him how what he is doing is bad for him, show him the data instead. Have him go to a doctor to get a physical. Log his food intake here, and show him how bad it is. Flood him with undeniable data that what he is doing to himself really is bad for him, and hope that he will realize it as well when he sees all of the data. That's what got me to realize what I was doing was bad, and hopefully it will help him too.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    Although you cannot force him to do what he refuse to do, but you can set an example.

Not having junk food in the house helps. Make sure there is only healthy food and drinks available. Cook very healthy meals.

Get your family up and active. If you have children interest them in outdoor activities or sports. Take them on hikes or horseback riding or swimming.

Show off how much you are losing.

Learn as much as you can about nutrition and fitness and on occasion mention the facts you learned in general conversation not directly at him. Like, yesterday I discovered there is fiber in cinnamon. Who would have thought? Maybe he won't feel attacked by that.

Also maybe a little more bedroom activity would interest him (and burn calories).

You can post pictures of the two of you on your site (proud of him). Maybe he will see the pics and feel the urge to change.

In a last ditch effort calmly explain why you would like him to change, your fears if he doesn't, and make it clear you love him no matter what and will not harass him about it any longer. Then you will have to drop it. :(

You can't force him to change but you may be able to get him to chose to change. In the end it all falls on his shoulders.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree with what was said - he has to want it for himself. Nothing you can say or do will change his attitude - he has to change it for himself.

I hated it when people would "nag" me about my weight. The more they talked, the more I ate. I know they were doing it out of concern, but I wasnt ready to make the changes and people have to understand that. He has to want to change for himself not because you've asked him to or because of your concern.

My brother works construction and he's a big guy. He eats...a lot and never exercises but he always tells me "the work I do at work is a better workout than most people get at the gym."
  • kevintk71744
    kevintk71744 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    well i found trying to push some one into working out doesn't work. they have to have the want to. my wife is that way. the best you can do is start by change some of the foods in the house, we now don't not even buy hamburger meat we use lean ground turkey instead just but changing some of the foods you have in the house will help it may not be much but it can help. i know first hand on being tired when getting home from work and not wanting to work out, but i push my self and get it done. just stand by him and just do your best. hope this helps in any way.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I hate to do this but I have to agree with the others. He has to want to do it! How does the old saying go? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. When he's ready he'll do something about it, until then the best thing to do is lead by example. My husband has had a weight problem his entire life and it wasn't until I started on my path that he began to carve out a path of his own. Just love him and be there for him and set a good example, he'll eventually come around.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I love my husband dearly, and I'm really concerned about him. He's always been a bigger guy, when we met he was around 240 lbs. He has, however, over the years gained 40 lbs. He's now nearing 300 lbs, and I'm really concerned. I keep trying to talk to him about how concerned I am, but he feels that I'm attacking him. Instead of just eating dinner, he goes back for seconds or thirds all the time. I try to only keep healthy foods in the house, but because he eats SO MUCH, it's getting really expensive. He works in landscaping, so he's outside working hard all day, and he's exhausted by the time he gets home. He has no desire to work out, and he thinks that just doing ab work is going to help. His entire family is big, and they don't do much except sit at home. It's very depressing! I want him to be healthy and happy, so how can I support him? How can I push him in the right direction without being a witch about it?

You can't, but what you can do is make just enough food for one helping and then if he wants more grub he will have to do it himself. You can't stop him eating, but you can refuse to be part of his overeating. If there isn't enough food there to have more than one helping, he can't have it.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    No you can't. Being "The Nagging Wife" isn't going to help matters either.

I've been in that place mentally before: "I'm a big guy, my family is big, this is just the way I'm made, leave me alone."

DO NOT start packing his lunch with "healthy stuff" if you don't right now. That's nagging. DO NOT start any coversation about his health with working out or excersise. He does that enough at his job, let him rest when he has the time. 80% of this is nutrition anyway.

You be an example. You be ready to answer questions when he has them. If he has some freinds that care about their health, maybe an apeal to them to talk to him. But mostly he's got to own this.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I agree with Lotus, make just enough for the meal. Since he is used to having all he wants, I'd prepare yours and enough for a first and second helping for him (he does do really hard physical work). That's it. If there is more like if you baked a chicken or whatever, put it in the freezer before you serve dinner. Make sure to have extra salad and veggies to offer so he doesn't feel starved. Maybe you could cut off dinner by offering a walk or something when you've finished eating.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Make larger portions of the veggies so he can double up on that. I agree, visit the doctor and have his numbers checked.

Until he is ready you can't talk him into it but I found having my husband help me with my lifestyle changes he has changed also. Now we both eat healthy for the most part, ( he still craves a sweet roll occasionally) and he works out with me every time. To keep me motivated because I made him promise to make me exercise. He loves me so off we go and we both have benefited. Good luck.