How to Sop Self-desctruct Mode?

Options
For the past year or so every time I start to make some progress I seem to sabotage myself. Yesterday was a good example: I weighed in under 150 for the FIRST time in my adult life. By the end of the day I had gone totally crazy...whole box of crackers, chocolate donettes, way too much whiskey, ice cream sandwich (to which I applied peanut butter!!!). I know this is utterly unhealthy, but I don't seem to have much of a strategy for halting that downward spiral. Any suggestions?

Replies

• dale49
    Options
    I think we've all been there and maybe it takes a pyschologist to figure it out. :o) My GUESS is that when we sabotage our own efforts it is because something makes us fearful aobut actually achieving success. I think the answer is wihtin you but you have to do some spoul searching. For example, have you used your weight as an excuse NOT to do something...ie. find a mate/change jobs/confront someone who has hurt you in some way? Good luck figuring it out - I think it's key in stopping the destructive behaviour.
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Lay off the whiskey!!!! Na, just kidding. I do the same thing! What SOMETIMES works for me is to do something healthy, like get some cardio, drink a ton of water..... even if it does not totally off set your "destruct" streak, it may lessen it. Good luck and congrats on your loss. Now if I can only practice what I preach :)
  • bxs515
    bxs515 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh my God, I am having the same problem. I have read books on addiction to self destruction and sometimes it comes from things in our childhood and also we have a fear of failure and success. If we try something new and fail, it tells us that we cant do anything, if we succeed, its hard because we get comfortable with who we are even if we are not happy, but now we have to get comfortable with being different. Also, we have the fear that what if we cant maintain it once we achieve it and then people will start notice and talk and then it goes back to us failing at somethig. Its has nothing to do with the weight, its why we are eating in the first place. I dont know if this helped, but I am happy to know I am not alone.

Also, when you have a set back, tell your self, if you are blessed with another day, tomorrow will be different and leave the past in the past and do better the next day.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that you have got to make the right choices. No one is going to make them for you.
    If you cant have a box of crackers in the house without the risk of eating the whole box, then dont have a whole box.
    I didnt realize how bad my own bing eating was till I started looking at the calories. If I want a snack, I make myself exercise first.
  • klloyd
    klloyd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I seem to do the self-desctuct mode at least once a week. I have a great two or three days and then it's all over for a day and then I just don't eat enough for the rest of the week.. Which is just as bad, I've been using this sight for 10 weeks now and I've only lost 12 pounds. I loose a pound, then gain a pound. (Thats been the last 4 weeks). I really should exercise more but really I hate it. (I work at a gym-which I have no reason not to go, its free) Although when working I don't get to work out. So I have to come back and thats just not happening. Okay I'm done complaining. Thanks
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Don't have any junk food in your house! Seriously--it has to be you that wants it bad enough to go for it, fight your fear of OMG what if i get skinny, etc and actually visualise yourself succeeding. Plan for after--how you'll maintain, have a strategy and tactics. Don't let setbacks beat you up. shrug it off; deep breath, remember WHY you want to do this and today is a new day and new opportunity for you to succeed. Good luck!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A timely question, as I have found myself doing similar things.

It has been suggested to me that perhaps it is a way to continue the cycle of 'needing to be better' without ever finding out what comes after achieving that percieved goal. (Fear of change/the unknown.)

Sometimes we slip, human nature, and personal choice make that an option. The important question is, what happens next? Do we follow the spiral into a self-destructive pattern? Or take a deep breath, choose to keep less of those tempting foods close at hand, and strengthen our resolve to find out 'what IS next?' and get past that first little bout of self-sabatoge.

Breathe deeply, be well, and be kind to yourself.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I did just that yesterday. I had a great day Monday, great day most of the day yesterday until I got home then I ate a million little candy corn pumpkins I had bought for my son. He isn't eating them so I threw the rest away...obviously I can't be trusted with them in the house. All I can tie it to was a very emotional conversation I had with a friend that ended with us severing our relationship...it is really the best thing for me because they are TOXIC. If it was just as easy to remove toxic family members. I guess I'm stuck there but will just limit my contact.
  • Amarea
    Amarea Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have also had that issue. I will be going strong and weigh in, lose several pounds and you'd think that would be motivation to keep going, but instead I find that is invariably the day I feel a need to eat everything in the house. My solution is not to weigh in every week. I try and weigh in every 2 weeks. I tell myself I can do anything for 2 weeks, so I get a longer period of time before I have this crazy moment of needing to eat things I don't really want. This has not solved the problem, but it has helped the binge eating. Many people here say they have a "cheat" meal or day, so I don't plan these days but they happen. I have found the most important thing is to just leave it behind and start again the next day. In the long run, you'll still lose weight. Maybe a little slower than you would without those days, but then there are those who say when you change it up you keep your body wondering and avoid the dreaded starvation mode.

I read a book...Women, Food and God, that focuses on why we do this to ourselves and how to love and be kind to ourselves. It has taught me a lot and helped those feelings of negativity. It may give you some insight in to why you do the things you do. Best of luck!
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    when i feel like that, i set myself a challenge. Find a fitness type event like a 5k run and join it. that should re-motivate you and also inspire others. good luck :flowerforyou:
  • sippy01
    Options
    WOW, it is nice to know that A LOT of people are having the same issue, not that is a good thing, but at least I don't feel like I am the only one!! Keep it up guys, we CAN do this!!
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    While it's important to figure out the reasons for going into self-destruct mode it's not always possible. For me personally I know the reason and I still do it. However I have found that making mini-goals and having a list helps. I also recently found pictures (I added goal dates and weight) to correspond with the goals and have those posted around my house. They are also quite specific for example I can't say a new book, I went online and found a book I REALLY want to read and I'm not allowed to even order it before I reach the goal. Same with movies I found movies that are coming out around the time that I want to reach that goal and named specific ones. It won't work for everyone but it's helpful for me.
  • TXmama
    Options
    I agree with everything people have said -- and I have also done this (many times!). In addition to what has already been said, I'd like to add one very basic thought: HUNGER. I find if I've eaten too few calories for several days, or really exercised a lot leaving a low number of net calories, I end up totally binging. I may not even FEEL hungry, but that's the pattern. So if you are defining having a "good" day as "not eating many calories", you might want to rethink the definition of "GOOD"! Eat your calories! I really have found that eating MORE (but staying within my goal range of course) actually helps me to "go crazy" less! Good luck!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions and support! It's good to know you are not alone and good to have such a good variety of strategies to try.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    So you did all that work to get down to 150 and you're still not happy? Perhaps you should seek what it is you're truly looking for at the bottom of that bottle.

I know I'm looking for my imaginary BF at the bottom, but he's never there, just my good friend Mr. Hangover.
  • jshreeram
    Options
    If you don't buy the stuff and have it in your house you'll have a harder time when you get weak. I wanted a cookie but had to eat fruit since I didn't have any around. When you are feeling strong and good go shopping. If you are feeling weak, stay away from the store!!!!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I think something that happens is that we see results and think of how hard we worked to get those results and maybe think I will have to work this hard my whole life to maintain this...and that sucks a bit so I am going to splurge on myself etc so that I don't feel like I am constantly "working" on this thing. (please pardon the complete lack of punctuation)

I wonder if a binging from time to time could be offset with scheduled treats...ie...instead of binging over the top have a dessert every Sunday...pick something that feels indulgent but you can manage into your plans etc. Also, while it does seem you have had an off day I think a day from time to time that you just don't count it all can be good.
    Start fresh today and things will be fine.
  • LeileiM
    Options
    I read through some of the posts people had put up to this - there are a lot of good ideas AND there a lot of us are in the same boat, Jill. My take: when we are 'emotional eaters', it isn't just the bad/negative emotions that send us into these tailspins ... the good ones do too. Yes, it is self-sabotage in a respect but it's also about trying to stuff down feelings (at least it always was for me) and I don't think the body/mind is always able to differentiate between the good and the bad ... it just knows that there is a 'strong' feeling and it needs to be dealt with ASAP (and hence the call of food for us - for others it may be shopping or drugs or whatever the self-soothing mechanism may be). The fix? It might help to find a substitute behaviour that is easy and quick to put into action so that the very second you realize this is happening, you have an option to turn to immediately.
  • Jansapphire
    Options
    You are doing an awesome job Archyjill - don't be so hard on yourself when you screw up one day !!!!! You are still fit as a fiddle - have you looked into calorie shifting....maybe that might work for you... check it out ;)
    http://losefat-online.com/calshift.htm