SQUATS SQUATS SQUATS!!!

Options
Just a general question I was on Day 2 of P90X, and they were doing a lot of squats! I think I did ok, BUT It is really hard for me to go super low like they can, and I do have a little bit of knee trouble (not acting up lately), so I was just curious if you can't go as low is that still ok? Or can I work my way to it? I don't want to think I'm actually doing it, and it not even working or injuring myself from not doing them properly!

Any advice is welcome!!!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Try to nail down proper form. Its actually harder on your knees if you don't go through the full range of motion
    try taking your shoes off and doing it barefoot, might help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Proper form includes: chest up, shoulders back, head in neutral position (looking straight ahead), pushing off heels. Start there with form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think my form is ok because I am doing all that, but it's going down really low that kills me!!! lol I don't know if I'm going to get back up or not or if my knees will lock on me!!!

Maybe that's how it is supposed to feel but I've never done squats before so, I know nothing about them
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think my form is ok because I am doing all that, but it's going down really low that kills me!!! lol I don't know if I'm going to get back up or not or if my knees will lock on me!!!

Maybe that's how it is supposed to feel but I've never done squats before so, now nothing about them

Maybe try something like box squats, where you put some sort of seat under you to protect you from bottoming out or your knees locking. Google box squats to see what I'm talking about.
  • graceklein
    graceklein Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My sister is a personal trainer and she said until your knees are used to it and are in tip top condition, only go as far as parallel to the floor or if that hurts, then do shallow squats. If you do full range of motion you can blow out your knees really easily. Be careful.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Awesome ladies thank you!!! That is very helpful!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    My sister is a personal trainer and she said until your knees are used to it and are in tip top condition, only go as far as parallel to the floor or if that hurts, then do shallow squats. If you do full range of motion you can blow out your knees really easily. Be careful.

What are shallow squats?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Drive your knees out
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Drive your knees out
    This and toes should be facing out as well.

Focus on hip mobility and leaning back.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

lolwut? For a personal trainer, she doesn't seem to know much about squats.

It actually is more harmful to the knees to do half-@$$ squats (staying too high above parallel) than @$$ to grass squats.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I find the tendon in my inner thigh and groin area hurts from squats.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I find the tendon in my inner thigh and groin area hurts from squats.

warm up gradually.
    use a foam roller before and/or after
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Try them facing a wall, with your toes almost touching said wall. That will tell you right away if you are coming straight down or cheating by leaning forward.

If your form is perfect, it will be the same as normal.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    OK!!! Thanks guys,

and so will my knees blow out or not? I see a debate stewing here, and my knees are my main concern!!! I don't want to half *kitten* anything and injure myself, but the same could be said if I gung ho it!?

I am just not sure if I feel pain in my knees if it is from the squats or my old knee injuries or if I should avoid them all together, since they have another DVD called cardio x, if I don't want to do this disc!
  • zerryz
    zerryz Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Found this. Helped me. Maybe you'll find it useful too. http://hurststrength.com/2012/11/07/so-you-think-you-can-squat/
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    OK!!! Thanks guys,

and so will my knees blow out or not? I see a debate stewing here, and my knees are my main concern!!! I don't want to half *kitten* anything and injure myself, but the same could be said if I gung ho it!?

I am just not sure if I feel pain in my knees if it is from the squats or my old knee injuries or if I should avoid them all together, since they have another DVD called cardio x, if I don't want to do this disc!

Your knees will be put under more strain going to parallel or above, than going deep.

No need to push through pain and overdo it, just maybe everyday practice doing a couple with good/deep form. Push your knees out, and all the other things people have mentioned. If you can't get back up at first that's ok, just sit down on the floor and get up your usual way. Keep practicing until you get the hang of it, and then you can try doing them deep as part of the program :)
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Found this. Helped me. Maybe you'll find it useful too. http://hurststrength.com/2012/11/07/so-you-think-you-can-squat/

Well worth a read :)
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options

THAT WAS EXTREMELY USEFUL!!! My big thing I will also try barefooted when doing these squats segments in my home and see if that helps, all I have are old new balance shoes, I am in dyer need of some... I am also not that sore from doing squats and doing P90X (just a little in my thighs) so I am thinking I am not doing something right I expected to be hurting really bad and sore, do you think that would be from doing it correctly or incorrectly?

I have been running, and riding my bike a lot lately and the elliptical just to try to help out with endurance and get back on this healthy wagon, so maybe that could be why I am not that sore?

Sounds like a stupid thing to worry about lol, but usually I feel like I want to die, and not feeling sore lately is like whoa, whats happening? lol
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options

THAT WAS EXTREMELY USEFUL!!! My big thing I will also try barefooted when doing these squats segments in my home and see if that helps, all I have are old new balance shoes, I am in dyer need of some... I am also not that sore from doing squats and doing P90X (just a little in my thighs) so I am thinking I am not doing something right I expected to be hurting really bad and sore, do you think that would be from doing it correctly or incorrectly?

I have been running, and riding my bike a lot lately and the elliptical just to try to help out with endurance and get back on this healthy wagon, so maybe that could be why I am not that sore?

Sore is ok, sharp pain is a warning to STOP!

A bad squat, with the knees coming together instead of driving outwards, is going to put a lot shearing force on the joint.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    yeah for sure I'm just surprised in general i'm not sore from that P90X workout that much, I was sweating like crazy, and I am a little sore but like after I did Jillian Michales I could barely walk I was hurtin so bad when I first started it