Need some advice for beginners. ...Plz

Options
Hello there to my new MFP family , I am in the process of taking my health more seriously. I have been working out by walking and doing Zumba classes. I become discouraged at times but I know the weight will not shed overnight. I would like any advice to help with this journey ahead. My beginning weight was 327 and now im 320 lbs. If anyone has any suggestions for workout dvds that would be a great help also.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I love Fitnessblender.com they have work out videos of any kind. I do them when my son is napping. The biggest thing is to track your diet and stick to your calories. Slowly increase activity if you are starting out fresh.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Go for walks when you can! Its easy, you don't even have to walk fast or anything, just walking helps. I've heard good things about dailyburn.com.

And +1 to sticking to your calories, but be honest if you don't. If you go over one day, its not the end of the world, you can either add more exerciseto your week or just get back on track the next day. Be as honest and accurate with what you're eating as possible.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    What and how much you eat is 80% of weight loss so be sure your primary focus is that. You can lose weight without exercising, but you can't lose it without eating fewer calories than you burn in a day.
  • kev32uk
    kev32uk Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more, let you're body get used to a change of eating habits then gradually bring exercise into a routine, i made the mistake when i tried to do it all at once and sicken myself with it. Also i don't know if it's possible for you but swimming is a fantastic exercise for weight loss, good luck with it though :)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I started working out right away and it worked really well for me.

I got into exercise by buying a second hand Wii on Ebay and doing fitness games. After a few months I started on DVDs. 30 Day Shred was the first one I did. My favorites now are Ripped in 30, Kickbox Fast Fix, Extreme Shed and Shred, Killer Buns and Thighs, and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. Some of those are probably a bit much for a beginner, but you can modify the moves and do what you feel you can before you take a break. :) Good luck!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I love fitness blender and blogilates on youtube
    Breaking it down into small goals , I just concentrated on 10 lbs at a time and bought myself new earrings for every ten lbs.dont give up if you blow it get right back on track right away not tomorrow
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    exercise is awesum and great job what your doing now! but just remember that loosing weight (fat) is 80% 'diet' (what you eat/calories) 15% exercise 5% genetics... and when having a LOT of wt to loose 'diet/cals' alone you will loose wt... but of course health wise and shaping your body you want to do exercise! but focus wise and loosing wt.. is basically FOOD and creating a deficit and a new way of looking at food/behavior..
    congrats on your loss so far and keep it up!
    I personally love weight classes/zumba/body pump and body combat at the gym
  • lgriffin78
    lgriffin78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank all of you for motivation. .......
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new too. Used the app for about 2 weeks maybe, first day on the board. I am about 269-273 lbs (i need to get my own scale, using others isn't helping me keep track). I want to lose at least 100 lbs and its going to be hard, I know. I also am lacking in the motivation, not motivation but the... I don't know what to call it... the support dept I guess? So if you like, you can add me as a friend on here.