shift worker struggling?!?!

Options
Hiya im kathryn.

Ive been using MFP for a little while and am finding it great.

Im a nurse and am struggling to find the best ways to maintain weight loss and exercise plans when working shift work and especially night shifts.

Looking for friends to help me with encouragement and also anyone with 'tips of the trade'

I also log on everyday and try to give as much support to others as possibke :)

Replies

• monicapeterson54
    monicapeterson54 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also a nurse, and it is hard. I find there tends to be two extremes with eating while I'm at work- either I'm running so much I don't have time to even consider eating, or I'm sitting at the nurses station half the night mindlessly filling my face with high calorie, low nutrient snacks. I've started stashing small baggies of almonds at the nurses station, along with a pure protein bar. I can eat the pure protein bar as a last resort if I can't find time for a lunch break, and the almonds are good for a quick, easy snack. Otherwise, it's all will power. Stay away from the delicious treats brought in by drug reps, co-workers, patient families, etc..... And pack your own lunch every single day so you know exactly what is going into your mouth! Best of luck!
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used to work night shift. I gained 10 pounds. What helped me out of the mindless noshing might sound radical, but I just stopped eating while at work. It's really not that radical: normally we do not eat during the night anyway. I had a meal after work, went to bed, a snack when I got up in the afternoon, made dinner as usual and ate with the family, and had "lunch" around 9:30pm before going back to work. I found that on this system I was more alert during my shift than when I'd been eating.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm a shift worker, and it is hard to find a balance. i work 12 hour days, and i'll do about 3-4 day shifts in a row, have a few days off, and then do 3-4 night shifts in a row, etc etc.

personally, i know that i can't exercise on days that i've worked. once in a blue moon i will, but it's usually a recovery work out, like a light swim or jog. on night shifts i also don't work out. the day of my first night shift i'll sleep in a little late and i'll work out. the morning i get out of my last night shift i'll work out, making it a recovery work out. i usually like to swim that morning, as it's a little therapeutic and i don't trust myself to go lift heavy things after being sleep deprived. basically work days are rest days because...

on my days off i really put forth a lot of effort. i'll wake up early and hit the gym at 6am when it opens. in the afternoon i'll usually do some cardio, e.g., HIIT run, long bike ride, long run, hill bike ride. two-a-days are tough, and you can't do them every day at first. it takes some conditioning and proper nutrition and recovery.

speaking of nutrition, i cook a lot on my days off. bulk cooking is your friend. i buy the 5 pound family pack of chicken breast and slice it up and grill it so that i always have plenty of healthy foods in my house. big stews, beans, rice, pasta, a dozen hard boiled eggs. i'll spend part of my day cooking so that i have no excuses to go buy junk food on days that i work.
  • Kelticbeauty
    Kelticbeauty Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a nightshift worker, working a 10 hour shift.

Do you drink water as I know when I am working nights and I get tired and want to eat some thing to give me energy I drink some water which helps to satisfy me and I find that I can keep going for longer. I try and eat more protein in my meals before I go to work as that helps me to stay fuller for longer. I also take my own snacks such a as a protein bar & food into work with me so i am in control of my eating rather than rely on the wrong kinds of food at work.

I have a stepper in the house and I try to use it daily & some times just before I go to out to do the night shift as I feel more energised when I have just done some exercise. Hope these tips help you.