Not losing weight!!!

Options
Hi all,

I started doing the 30 day shred and eating a healthy diet of natural foods and only consuming around 800 calories a day. I was also walking one hour 5 days a week. In the first week I lost 7lbs and this second week I have put on 5lbs!!!! can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

Replies

• nevergiveup51
    nevergiveup51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me I am going back to weight watchers this program is not working for me at all, I have been sticking to it like glue only 1 day I blew it in a month. I go to the gym 5 days a week I lost 7 lbs only to gain 2 today pathetic 5 lbs in a month . Good luck trying to get an answer as to why this is happening I have been asking for weeks seems like you can't get that help on here. I have posted it all over and I have yet to get an answer. Good Luck with everything
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I started doing the 30 day shred and eating a healthy diet of natural foods and only consuming around 800 calories a day. I was also walking one hour 5 days a week. In the first week I lost 7lbs and this second week I have put on 5lbs!!!! can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

The first week may have been water weight and you always loose a lot in your first week.
    Only eating 800cals a day and exercising is way too low in calories, so as many, many posts have said before (just to answer nevergiveup51 too), you're not eating enough.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    800 calories a day isnt enough food to fuel your exercise. When your body doesn't get enough food and is stressed it produces corsitol which hinders weight loss.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You are hurting your body by eating so very little. Unless you want your hair to start falling out, eat more.

As for your weight, it's probably water weight.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    800cals is far too few calories for any adult to eat. Do some research into what may work best for you TDEE, your BMR etc.

Losing weight does not have to mean being hungry and starving yourself.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have either of you read anything else on this forum ? There are pages and pages and pages of information. There are very knowledgable people out there. Yes there are the morons, but for the most part very knowledgable and helpful people who will reply IF you are following the program. The program is VERY SIMPLE. Eat at a calories deficit, eat back your exercise calories and you will lose weight.

To me, based on my experience, it looks like neither one of you are really committed to the long haul. On yes, you joined the gym and go everyday which is great, but is that sustainable for your life - can you commit to that for the rest of your life. It looks like you want a quick solution and there is no such thing. No one is going to waste their time answering common questions that you could easily have searched for.

If you won't take the time to help yourself, why would anyone here take their precious time away from their focus to help you. Show people that you are serious, do some research on this site, and ask educated questions and you will get the help you need.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    je55uk, you need to post your stats (age weight height goal etc) and open your diary

Never Give up 51, I am not meaning this in an offending way but you are obviously outside a healthy BMI level. Eating 1200 calories is exceptionally low even for someone at a very low weight for their height but you should not be consuming anywhere near as low as this, your body will not like it. Before you started weight loss you were probably eating 4000 calories a day of more unhealthy foods and I'm gonna guess consuming 5000+ mg of sodium a day whereas it's dropped down to 1000-3000 for most days I'm guessing if you are eating 1200 calories. This will have dropped a ton of water weight which will have been the initial loss. If you weighed yourself on a day where you had more sodium the day or a couple of days before you will have been retaining water which would explain the extra 2lb. The only other things are that you are logging incorrectly (not weighing out, not getting the exact products you are eating) or you have a medical issue in which case consulting with your doctor would be the best option.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more. 800 calories is not enough.

2. Two weeks is not enough time to draw any kind of conclusions about the effectiveness of what you're doing. At this point you're likely looking at a week of water weight lost and a week of water retention from exercise (or possible sodium or hormones).

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me I am going back to weight watchers this program is not working for me at all, I have been sticking to it like glue only 1 day I blew it in a month. I go to the gym 5 days a week I lost 7 lbs only to gain 2 today pathetic 5 lbs in a month . Good luck trying to get an answer as to why this is happening I have been asking for weeks seems like you can't get that help on here. I have posted it all over and I have yet to get an answer. Good Luck with everything

Now I know that's not true because I responded to your thread, as have others.
  • je55uk
    je55uk Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for all the (mostly) helpful comments. I am new to using the forums although have been a member for some time.
    alyhuggan - I have now opened my diary so it is public. I am 26 year old female, 5ft 10in and currently weigh 160lbs - I would like to drop to around 140-145lbs
  • je55uk
    Options
    thanks for the link ILiftHeavyAcrylics
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the (mostly) helpful comments. I am new to using the forums although have been a member for some time.
    alyhuggan - I have now opened my diary so it is public. I am 26 year old female, 5ft 10in and currently weigh 160lbs - I would like to drop to around 140-145lbs

looking through your diary makes me feel sad.... and hungry....
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    800 cals is a starvation diet. Your body is panicking and holding onto every last morsel you put in your body. It's a foolish way to try to lose weight. I'm 2 inches shorter than you and I eat over 1500 cals a day and I'm losing weight. I'm also doing keto, which might be helping with that. Start eating more. Figure out your TDEE and minus 250-500 cals from it and eat at that for a couple of weeks and see how you do.

Starving oneself is not logical.
  • lincs_lass
    lincs_lass Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've just looked through your diary and you've not logged at all the last two weekends, are you going off the rails a bit at weekends why you're not logging? Also agree with everyone else, you're not eating enough when you are logging. Try eating more fruit as snacks and more veg with your meals and make sure you get up to the suggested MFP calories with mainly healthy choices. Good luck :)
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks for opening your diary so we can give you some constructive criticism.

Eat some FOOD.
    Drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    Eat back your exercise calories.

I would cut back at the gym and concentrate on getting yourself on a schedule so you eat better. Workouts and gym memberships come and go you have to eat everyday.

Eating Well has a great website of recipes and articles that would really help you.
  • je55uk
    Options
    Thanks all :-)
  • lzvbeantown
    lzvbeantown Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm also new here and have one simple question - when you say you're eating 1500 calories a day is that the net one after you deduct the exercise? I'm a bit confused on that... I play tennis and in one training session I can burn 700 calories (measured with HRM) so I usually am below my net of 1200 at the end of the day but yesterday for example I ate around 1700 calories so I netted at almost 1000 calories. Should I up my intake to lose fat?
  • Chairman_Davey
    Options
    If I say I'm eating 1500 a day, that's my net calorie intake (calories eaten minus calories burnt).