Tailbone Pain / Rawness from Situps

Options
Hello all,

I HAVE to do several situps as part of physical training for police academy. I've increased the number I can do but I've also ran into a painful problem. The area right above my tailbone is being rubbed raw.

I know situps aren't good for your body (and I actually prefer crunches) but I have to do them so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what worked and didn't work to help it.

For once, I wish I had a little extra padding in that area and maybe then it wouldn't hurt so bad! LOL

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I'd love a reply also. I'm doing sit-ups (not crunches) too and that's the area that hurts me too. The only thing I've done is used a yoga mat to lay on but it doesn't help very much. I just try to ignore the pain while I'm doing them. :ohwell:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I do sit-ups at a fitness boot camp and I can barely do them because they hurt my tailbone sooooo bad!!!
    No one else complains about them but me. I thought I was alone :((
    Maybe try doing them on the machines to get your strength up and give your skin a break? Or an exercise ball?
    Good luck at the academy! My fiance did it two years ago :)
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    If you're rubbing the area raw, I would imagine that means you are sliding while doing the sit-up, rather than going straight up and down. Is it possible to anchor your feet more securely so that you slide less?

While you're working on that, I suggest putting on a big bandaid/bandage on top of the raw spot - you'll probably want the adhesive to go all the way around the bandage. This way the bandage will stay with your body and should absorb the rubbing that takes place.

Feel better!
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    *edit didn't see that they were for police training sorry
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I know several people this happens to. I haven't had this problem, but the people at my gym swwear by this stuff called Royal Crackle Spackle. It's made by a company called Royal Hiney. It's actually a baby diaper rash ointment, so I suppose any type would work. Here's the web site for Royal Hiney. http://www.royalhiney.com/
  • DietDelicious
    DietDelicious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bandaid? LOL - Waste of time and waste of a few good bandaids...JSHAVA you probably mean well, but ...
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When my son took horseback riding lessons and had saddle sores. It was recommended to use Desitin. So any of the baby rash ointments, etc should help relieve the sore.

Would a pillow help?
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem after day 1 of boot camp. I literally have to fold my mat over twice to get enough cushion now to avoid sores =o(. It sucks.
  • slpester
    Options
    I also have this issue. The reason for my pain (skin raw) is that my tailbone is longer and so it pinches the skin around the bone. I'd love any help as I'm the only person that seems to have this problem.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Try two exercises;
    -try mountain climbers
    -try planking on a medicine ball

Both are crazy hard and great core exercises, but easy on your joints, etc....
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem since it is a semi-annual requirement in the Army National Guard that I meet Army standards for sit-ups, so I do keep up with my sit-sups 5 times a week. I would recommend a 2’’ inch padded mat if you can find one. Also, when I do get sore (or raw) I try to take the pressure of my tailbone by slightly changing to one side or the other when coming up. Yes, may use more of your oblique’s and sides of you abs, but at the same time firming those areas also.

Another thing that helps is changing the clothing material you are wearing in that area. Certain materials can cause more friction than others.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sit on a pillow while you do your situps.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm in the military and when I was in bootcamp I had the same thing. My tailbone actually bled from being rubbed so raw. All I could do was double a towel under my butt. I had to get permission to do it because normally we were doing situps on a bare floor or outside on cement. If you can try to fold over a towel a couple times to help.