ACL injury... help

Options
I have an ACL injury since 15 days. Shown an physio 4 days back who referred me to an ortho. Went to an ortho who first of all bashed me for undereating myself to a very lean body and attributed my ACL injury for my physical weakness while my physio said inspite of being thin, I have a good muscle strength. I trust this physio more than any other - he also seems more knowledgeous than other physios abt ACL injury.

The ortho wants me to go for physiotherapy (to one he has tie up with) for X-ray and therapy for 15 days, if it doesn't do good, I would go for MRI. Since I don't have much pain, more of instability actually, he thinks my problem isn't too much. Is that true? I somehow feel he isn't much into sports injury.

He also advised a high protein diet. My protein intake isn't too high (it's moderate). Can anyone tell me if it's necessary? Just curious...

Replies

• msimon0108
    Options
    As far as an ACL injury goes its pretty cut and dry, its either torn or its not. An ACL tear will cause instability when moving side to side and have almost no effects when moving in a straight line. There is just about no pain after initial injury and swelling goes away. Also, an Xray will not tell you anything about the ACL injury, only a MRI can do that. I would not suggest physical therapy until an MRI is done. They cannot properly give you a physical therapy routine if they do not know the issue. Im not a doctor or anything, but have had 2 torn ACLs, so have some knowledge in regards to the injury.
  • swatiep
    swatiep Posts: 5
    Options
    My physio also said that X-ray is only helpful to check fractures and not ligament injury but eversince my injury I haven't tried moving sidewards, I face instability while walking straight itself. Initially, there was little pain an no instability, then instability appeared after I walked downhill while returning from a walk. From then on the instability has persisted everytime I walk.