Has anyone heard of PTLS (Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome)?

Options
2»

Replies

• swanish
    swanish Posts: 1
    Options
    Yesss! Thought I was crazy, till I found this page. I KNEW something wasn't "normal" . I always said it was from my tubal, but never had an idea this is actually a "real" syndrome! Glad to be able to validate my symptoms!
  • stephd0305
    stephd0305 Posts: 1
    Options
    YES IT IS REAL!! 100% I HAVE THIS AND IT IS HORRIBLE. I THOUGHT I WAS DYING OR THAT SOMETHING WAS REALLY WRONG WITH ME. I AM SAVING UP $$$ MONEY NOW TO HAVE A REVERSAL. I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT, NIGHT SWEAT, HOT/COLD FLASHES, JOINT PAIN, ACNE ON CHIN (HORMONAL) IRREGULAR PERIODS, HEADACHES, TIRED ALL THE TIME, FLABBY NO MUSCLE TONE, LOW LIBIDO, I'M STILL IN MY 20'S I SHOULD WANT TO HAVE SEX ALL DAY EVERYDAY. I HAVE BEEN TO THE DR SEVERAL TIMES AND A LOT OF BLOOD WORK. MY HOROMONES INDICATE PREMENOPAUSE. MY TESTOSTERONE IS SO LOW AND IS CAUSING MOST OF MY SYMPTOMS. I PRAY FOR ALL THE WOMEN THAT SUFFER FROM THIS. I KNOW AND I WILL GET BETTER AFTER MY TUBAL REVERSAL, I JUST NEED $6,000 TO HAVE THE TUBAL REVERSAL. I HAVE READ ABOUT LOTS OF WOMEN WHO HAVE REVERSALS AND 95% REPORT MAJOR RELIEF AND SYMPTOMS SLOWLY GO AWAY. AMERICAN DOCTORS ARE TRAINED TO "DOCTOR" NOT TO HEAL. GOD CREATED OUR BODIES TO FUNCTION AND WHEN US HUMANS MESS WITH THAT THINGS CAN GO WRONG! I REGRET EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE THAT I GOT MY TUBES TIED. WELL ALL HAVE TO STAY POSITIVE AND SHARE OUR STORIES. I WORK IN A LAB AND I TELL ALL THE PREGNANT PATIENTS MY PERSONAL STORY. I HOPE EVERYONE HERE GETS THE HELP AND RELIEF THEY NEED.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    I was not on birth control since high school and since having my tubes tied my periods are all messed up and HURT SO BAD! a lot of cramps for sure.. Shouldn't have had it done but 3 kids was enough..
  • melissabell75248795
    Options
    Iv had symptoms since my tubal 5 years ago. Had an ablation to help with the horrible bleeding now my GYN wants to take the right tube out because of the horrible cramping I have randomly thru the month. I have zero.sex drive.and have gained 20 pounds.
  • Angiequeenoftheworld
    Options
    Those symptoms sound a lot like mine, only I have been diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. My symptoms improved greatly when I started taking the proper meds and also birth control, even though I have has a tubal.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    don't do an albation - do some research on post tubal ablation syndrome - its not cool. I too am suffering when to the doctor and they tried to send me to a counselor because they think its in my head. Why would i imagine terrible cramps, hot flashes, mood swings, pelvic pain, no libido, incontinence, hair falling out et c. Our doctors are failing us, and trying to cover their butts. Nothng was said to me that this could happen - I was only told about surgical side effects none of the rest. I was told that i should have a hysterectomy I am too young for that and am not interested in that I just want my life back. My problem is with the hormones secreted by my ovaries so they want to do a hysterectomy and leave my ovaries even though they are not secreting hormones correctly and somehow thats going to prevent me from going into menopause. I also have endometriosis that i had removed six years ago when i could not get pregnant that i have had no symptoms of until now. My endo is on my ovaries and is microscopic on one side they cannot remove it and so their plan for treatment will not work. I am so frustrated and sick of feeling this way. I was considering the ablation until i read about the post tubal ablation syndrome now I say no way. I shouldn't have to be on hormones, anti-depressants, anxiety pills, and pain pills for the rest of my life. I just want to feel normal - this post tubal syndrome is like post partum only worse - more physical symptoms and more exaggerated anxiety.
  • christianbabe410
    Options
    @ Angie - i bet money on the fact that your symptoms are really post tubal ligation syndrome - polycystic ovarian does not just pop up- it is typically diagnosed when people have a hard time getting pregnant- or it could be a combination of both syndromes causing your problems - if the hormone medications help you then great but for many of us they exacerbate our symptoms or make them worse. Polycystic Ovarian - typically causes missed periods or infrequent periods and not excessive bleeding. there also tends be a hirsutism - a male pattern of hair growth, obesity, and insulin resistance. Both cause hormonal imbalances although with poly there tends to be in increase in masculinizing hormones. I'm not sure of your particulars but unless you have the above listed things you probably have ptls. Drs. do not want to admit that this exists and will tell you anything else to get you to be quiet. Just some things to think about. I'm glad that you are able to control your symptoms - i on the other hand cannot despite numerous medications and now they want to do a hyster - which will not help with any of the symptoms except bleeding.
  • caramy5029
    Options
    YES!
    My OBGYN is a close friend of mine. It is unfortunate that he did not discuss the downside of a tubal ligation with me. I always had normal periods within three days of every month. I have not been the same after my third child and tubal ligation. Since my tubal I have experienced such heavy periods that I am unable to leave the house (for days up to ten) and sometimes the restroom (for hours). I would have blood clots so big I worried I was having a miscarriage. It leaves me anemic, sometimes severely. Recently, I have started having migraines, hair loss, and lowered libido. I tried a low dose hormone (which I had NEVER taken before) which only made me feel strange with no help. He suggested a ablation but my sister who is a general practitioner told me it was not a safe procedure. He was no help. Actually, I am quite irritated at him. Through much research I found that Motrin taken every 6 hours during the first signs of my period helped reduce it sometimes by half. Now I can leave the house but never without my Motrin! MOTRIN MOTRIN MOTRIN until...
    I have missed my period this month. I have never missed unless I was pregnant. I will be visiting my friend tomorrow, the OBGYN, but he will get an ear full from me. I will update you..
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of it. I had a tubal last sept after a csection with my 3rd baby. Since I have started periods again, I have 2-3 days were I am bleeding so heavy I have to change every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. This last one wasn't as bad it was only about 36 hrs of heavy bleeding. I'm hoping the Motrin helped some, it definitely helped with my cramps
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @ Angie - i bet money on the fact that your symptoms are really post tubal ligation syndrome - polycystic ovarian does not just pop up- it is typically diagnosed when people have a hard time getting pregnant- or it could be a combination of both syndromes causing your problems - if the hormone medications help you then great but for many of us they exacerbate our symptoms or make them worse. Polycystic Ovarian - typically causes missed periods or infrequent periods and not excessive bleeding. there also tends be a hirsutism - a male pattern of hair growth, obesity, and insulin resistance. Both cause hormonal imbalances although with poly there tends to be in increase in masculinizing hormones. I'm not sure of your particulars but unless you have the above listed things you probably have ptls. Drs. do not want to admit that this exists and will tell you anything else to get you to be quiet. Just some things to think about. I'm glad that you are able to control your symptoms - i on the other hand cannot despite numerous medications and now they want to do a hyster - which will not help with any of the symptoms except bleeding.
    Not everyone has the same symptoms for PCOS. We discovered I had PCOS before we were TTC because of my weight gain, acne, and increase in male hormones. I never had hirsutism at all. Furthermore, a very high percentage of women with PCOS also have hypothyroidism and the accompanying hair loss as well as depression. That being said, Oh MY Lord! Why did no one tell me about PTLS?! My second period lasted 11 days and my milk supply went way down. Now my 3rd period is almost 2 weeks late. While it COULD just be my body readjusting, I am a little freaked that this could be what is going on! I am really annoyed my doctor did not inform me that this was a possibility.
  • ksaipa
    ksaipa Posts: 1
    Options
    Did the reversal help with the PTLS symptoms? I just got my tubes tied for a week and half now, I feel so stupid I didnt do my research. I noticed all kinds of symptoms just 2 days after the procedure, and I never had them in my life, so, I know it is resulted from the tubal ligation.
  • cateyes09
    Options
    Omg. I had my tubes tied three weeks ago. I was suppose to have essure done but it was unsuccessful. I was told by my dr. I would only be off work two days! I was on pain pills for two weeks and could not work for two weeks. I am still having cramps soreness sore boobs. Anxiety and depression. I am going back to my dr. This week to ask abou this and why I was never warned that this could happen. I wish I never had this done.
  • Brookesworld104
    Brookesworld104 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I came across this in a Google Search. I know the original post is 2 years old. I actually have birth to my son and had a Tubal Ligation 2 days after you created this post. I too now have PTLS and all of the symptoms you mentioned. I considering a reversal or complete hysterectomy to relieve my symptoms. I take Progesterone during my menstrual cycle to lessen the pain and decrease the heavy blood flow and clots. However, I suffer the whole rest of the month. Hot flashes, anxiety, depression, skin issues, back pain, bloating, weight gain. Breast tenderness... Bleeding during ovulation, etc. so sorry you are dealing with this and I hope you are able to find some relief.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Omg. I had my tubes tied three weeks ago. I was suppose to have essure done but it was unsuccessful. I was told by my dr. I would only be off work two days! I was on pain pills for two weeks and could not work for two weeks. I am still having cramps soreness sore boobs. Anxiety and depression. I am going back to my dr. This week to ask abou this and why I was never warned that this could happen. I wish I never had this done.

I never knew that tubal ligation could result in these kind of symptoms! I had successful essure done and though my flow is now REALLY heavy (and my gyno attributes that to the procedure) I have had no other issues. Hope your doctor was able to help you!
  • cillachu
    Options
    I can say without a doubt, it's a real thing. I never took birth control before my sons were born so I can say mine has nothing to do with not taking birth control anymore. I had my tubal 5 years ago and starting last year I began noticing my bodies changes. I have always had irregular cycles but in 2013 i only had 2 cycles the entire year, one lasted for 3 weeks. Ontop of the heavy periods, mood swings, hair thinning (i used to be a hair dressers worst nightmare my hair was so thick), early this year i had my first ever mental breakdown. Which was a huge shock to anyone who's known me, as i'm considered "the goofy one" in any group i'm in. Hormones have gone insane, random crying, which is super weird as well. I could handle most of the symptoms, but dealing with on and off again depression has me looking into a reversal.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this prior to today! I had my tubal ligation 14 years ago (had not used birth control prior to that) I remember a short time later, my periods had got so bad that I was lying in bed for days in pain and my "cycle" being worse than ever before. I never put the two things together. I figured that the pain and increased discharge was a result of having four children in a very short period of time, and me being so young (24). Over the next 14 years I have had horrible headaches, been diagnosed with depression/anxiety. A couple years ago, I was stupid and went on the birth control patch to "skip" my period during a trip on a cruise and to Disney World. It had the opposite effect... I started spotting CONSTANTLY! I went off of it, and things went back to "normal" for me (ie painful and intense) Last year after I started losing weight I started spotting constantly again. For the last year my doctor has tried different birth control pills to no effect other than intensifying my depression and increasing my hunger/cravings. I am now scheduled for a complete hysterectomy, minus the ovaries, for January 5th. Hopefully this is the end of my personal hell.