Headache, Dizzy, Anxiety... from reducing calories??

13»

Replies

• HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Be careful about taking potassium and BP meds together. My mother did that and her kidneys started going downhill. She was nearing the point of needing dialysis, and nobody could figure out why her kidneys were failing. Then she went to a new doctor who made the connection and when she stopped the potassium, her kidneys returned to normal.

She never needed potassium supplements. Just took a bunch of vitamins because of what a relative told her to take.
  • I also had something similar about 5 weeks ago. Doctors visit and low blood sugar. Now I just have more suagr but included in my calorie intake. :)
  • Half your bodyweight in water a day? That's a crapload of water!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    The dizziness can also come from dehydration. You should be drinking 1/2 your body weight in water each day.

Um, so a litre of water weighs a kilo and I weigh 66kg so you're saying I should drink 33 litres of water a day? - that's 132 glasses of water, making me short by about 127. I'm pretty sure drinking that much is physically impossible. Eight glasses (2 litres) per day is the recommended amount and even that's up for debate.

I'm not real good at the metric system but you should drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. So for you 2 litres is about right. I aim for 1 gallon of water a day, or 3.75 liters, or 16 glasses but I am very active and sweat a lot.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    I did the same thing once. I ate very clean and only 1200 calories. I got sick to my stomach. You have to eat more. Find out your TDEE and minus 15-20%.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    1. I've done Atkins induction and the weird, dizzy feeling is from the lack of carbs. This is just an adjustment for your body--it's detoxing from the sugar and simple carbs and learning to convert fat and protein as energy.

2. Others made a good point on the abrupt change in alcohol consumption, which is basically the same as the detoxing I just mentioned.

3. One thing that always went wrong for me when I went on low calorie diets is that I didn't eat enough fat. If you do low carb, you NEED fat. Not a lot, just don't think you can't have cheese or meat in regular serving sizes, within your calorie budget. Your body will depend on these components for energy. Fat also increases the ability to be satiated sooner, so you eat less (in theory, and in practice, in my case).

4. Others mentioned food combining: YES! If you eat carbs, even veggies, eat a fat/protein source, also. This will help the carbs to be metabolized slower and keep you from having spikes and withdrawals in your blood sugar. This will increase satiety, also, and keep the irritability at bay.

5. I did 1200 calories at first and was ravenous by day 3, despite the amount of fat/protein I was eating. I upped my calories to 1300 and have found that to be appropriate for my sanity and satiety.

So, yeah...eating well-balanced, appropriate portioned meals is the key to this. Who knew? ;-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    The dizziness can also come from dehydration. You should be drinking 1/2 your body weight in water each day.

Um, so a litre of water weighs a kilo and I weigh 66kg so you're saying I should drink 33 litres of water a day? - that's 132 glasses of water, making me short by about 127. I'm pretty sure drinking that much is physically impossible. Eight glasses (2 litres) per day is the recommended amount and even that's up for debate.

agreed....I try to get in a gallon a day but never make it I usually get in 3 liters but I eat a lot of fruit so I know I am getting plenty of liquid without drowning myself.

She just phrased it wrong. The rule of thumb she is referring to says, "Drink half your weight in ounces of water per day" ...so if you weigh 200lbs, drink 100 ounces of water per day.
    Be careful about taking potassium and BP meds together. My mother did that and her kidneys started going downhill. She was nearing the point of needing dialysis, and nobody could figure out why her kidneys were failing. Then she went to a new doctor who made the connection and when she stopped the potassium, her kidneys returned to normal.

She never needed potassium supplements. Just took a bunch of vitamins because of what a relative told her to take.
    Agreed, do not supplement Potassium unless it is under a doctor's supervision. Potassium is an important electrolyte that can quickly throw your electrolytes off balance if you supplement any more than what is in a normal multivitamin.

Potassium deficiency is a rare event in developed countries. It isn't even a required nutrient on labeling. If you are getting sufficient fruit or vegetables (like 3- 5 servings a day) you're well within acceptable limits. Even dairy and meat contain a good amount of Potassium. The database won't reflect this because Potassium isn't generally entered into the food database by members.

*edit because someone is going to jump on my kilo reference. So I fixed that. :grumble:
This discussion has been closed.