Let's try it again...

Options
I was on MFP in July 2011. I just searched my phone for calorie tracker apps and there it was! I did really well for 3 months and lost 29 lb but I started a new job in October 2011 and it all went down hill. The job was actually less stressful, but it was field based. It was harder to pack healthy breakfasts and lunches every day and I got tempted by my boss who liked going out to eat at lunch. I also fell off the wagon with exercise because I worked later, inconsistent hours.

But now I took a promotion and I'm back in one place everyday and on a regular schedule. It makes it so much easier! I've been packing my week-long lunches again. I've also taken advantage of my schedule and started water aerobics, which I really really like. My back isn't killing me like when I go walking, but I get an even better work out than walking because I'm not shackled by gravity, the work out is 60 minutes, plus we even do resistance training with water paddles.

I think what I need the most is some positive support. I learned that my family, who I live with, are absolutely warped in their thinking, and I've let their negativity become a self-fulfilling prophecy in the past. I had this epiphany when my mom and dad kept saying "You're getting fatter and fatter" even after I had lost 29 lbs. I think they're so used to giving me the same negative message all my life that they do it even when there is evidence to the contrary. But I'm learning to tune them out!! Unfortunately, my two bff's are just a little too self-absorbed to really be there for me. That was a hard lesson I've learned in these past few years, but at least I'm aware of it now.

All in all, I'm hoping that I can find some kindness in strangers here. I could use some smiles and a pat on the back once in a while to supplement what I try to give to myself!! I know that will really help me stay on track this time because support and positive reinforcement have been my missing pieces! Hopefully I can share some love with the community, too.

Replies

• waitfortheweightloss
    Options
    Kindness from a stranger :)
    Friend request on its way :)
  • danamarich
    danamarich Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ditto!
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Kindness can certainly be hard to come by sometimes (especially at home) but I would be happy to help encourage you.
    FR sent.
  • jodie818
    Options
    request sent...welcome back....We all could use all the support we can get.... :)
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    good for you for deciding to get back on track! You can do this!!
  • JustQuitIt
    Options
    Ugh. Who says "you're getting fatter and fatter" ? That's terrible :(
    FR sent :)
  • himenaya
    himenaya Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No worries! We will do it together! FR sent! :)
  • ginnyntonic
    ginnyntonic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, in fact I was just about tempted to post something very similar. I lost about 40 pounds five years ago and after going through a divorce this past year I now find myself having gained back 30 of it. And this past (admittedly very fun) weekend I find that I have a gained back four of the six I've lost since starting over last month. This morning I was ready to give up but figured I would explore the social side of this community before throwing in the towel and just buying bigger clothes.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Friend request on the way - the support I've gotten here has helped me stick with this longer than anything else I've tried!
  • livier62
    livier62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat!!! It is just so HARD to stay motivated!!
  • dridings74
    dridings74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Request sent. :smile:
  • Robin052
    Robin052 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you are getting negative feedback from people. It's very hurtful I'm sure. I am my own worst enemy. I get down on myself so I get frustrated and blow it all to pieces. I have been thin all my life so needing to lose 40 - 45 pounds is driving me crazy. I get frustrated easily because I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and Hypothyroid. I'm on medication for my thyroid but had to increase the dosage. It boggles the mind. No one in my family had these issues. They are all gone now, so I have no way to find out how I got this way.

I recently stopped checking in on MFP for about a week because I thought, "why the hell should I". Well for the same reason you came back, for support. I just put in some numbers and hoping I will stay with it. I'd like to help support you as well because basically when you stay away even for a short time, like I did, you need that little kick in the butt. Should we do a friend request? Just let me know!!!
  • Robin052
    Options
    Gosh, your post sounds so familiar except for the divorce part. I gained like 40 lbs in 1 year and my primary doctor never said a darn thing. Finally I brought it up to her because she wasn't being proactive with me. No one gains that much in one year!! I took matters into my own hands and saw an endocrinologist. He was the one who took one look at me and decided to do blood work for my thyroid. He found that I have hypothyroid and that's why I gained so much so fast. I wish I had spoken up sooner. It's very discouraging when you have been thin all your life and then all of a sudden nothing fits you anymore. So here I am... Want to support each other??? :glasses:
  • Robin052
    Options
    Please refresh my memory on how to do a friend request!!!:sad:
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Gosh, what wonderful support! And my inbox if full of friend requests! You guys are so sweet. Thanks so much. Many people to add today!! :) I truly appreciate it!