RMR plus exercise, how many calories to eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• lisharj39
    Options
    Hello, I know this topic conversation is old, but I GOOGLE searched this topic and came to this post. I would like to share some information that I received from the Army Wellness Center regarding my Personal Weight Management.

My RMR is 1888
    the scale is: less than 1408 = slow
    1408 - 1866 = normal
    above 1866 = fast

So the Lifestyle and exercise calories are (567+250) = 817 calories

Adding my RMR and the 817 calories I come to a WHOPPING 2705 calories in a day that I must consume! This is ridiculous to me. But since I burn 1888 calories at rest, doing nothing, I need to eat for my daily activities - the 817 calories.

In order to lose weight I need to eat 500 less calories than 2705 per day. NO MORE, and NO LESS! Imagine my surprise!

So to make sense of this, I need to understand how to reduce my RMR. LOSE WEIGHT!

from www.bodyfi.com/factorsthataffectmetabolism,pdf

"Restrictive diets consisting of less than 1000 calories per day can result in an acute decrease in resting metabolic rate. Use caution when designing calorie plans below individuals' measured resting metabolism."

That's my two cents. Hope it helps.
  • carolyn000
    carolyn000 Posts: 1
    Options
    Question, If my RMR was 1276 and active burn was 793 total for the day was 2,069. How many calories should I eat to lose weight?
    Thanks
  • Its_Juanito
    Options
    I'm also learning about this, but from my understanding; If your RMR is 1276, and you actively burn 793 calories per day (which equals to the 2,069), then you should consume about 1,569 calories per day to lose 1 pd per week.

By knowing that 3,500 calories = 1 pd, I divided 3,500/7 (days in a week), which gave me the number 500. I then subtracted the 500 from your total calories of 2,060 to come up with 1,569.

Since you already know RMR and your TDEE, (and knowing that 1pd = 3,500 calories) you can basically adjust your calories to lose weight at the rate you wish.

But make sure you never go below your RMR. (your body still needs to function)

I hope this helped!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Question, If my RMR was 1276 and active burn was 793 total for the day was 2,069. How many calories should I eat to lose weight?
    Thanks

Anything less than 2069. But generally, a 20% deficit is a good place to start.