Controlling appetite after an AM workout

Options
Hello all, I am trying to make a set time to exercise rather than squeeze it in when I can. I find that when I work out in the afternoon or evenings it tends to curb my appetite but when I work out earlier I feel ravenous by mid-morning. I'm getting plenty of protein and fiber, maybe not enough water. Does anyone else have this challenge? How do you manage it? Thank you!

Replies

• sarahmaedzz
    sarahmaedzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    This happens to me a lot too. I find that if I work out in the morning I tend to over eat the rest of the day because I'm so hungry. Even though I eat a decent size meal post workout. I try to drink plenty of water and that helps a bit but not much.

Anyone else have tips to curb their appetite?
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    One thing I was told was to try to have a bunch of protein immediately after the workout (within 30 minutes). So I have a big handful of almonds in the car on the way back from the gym and then a tub of yogurt or a boiled egg from the fridge when I get home.
  • ElenaM4
    ElenaM4 Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks guys - I really appreciate your responses. I'll try both the water and protein right after the workout.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    My method is simple. I eat breakfast after my morning Y trip. :bigsmile:
    The only day I eat breakfast before going to the Y is Sunday because the Y doesn't open until 11:00AM that day.
  • ElenaM4
    Options
    Thank you.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    I eat straight after a workout, whether am or PM.

If you're struggling with your allowance, try smaller portions.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Started working out in the morning about a week ago and I knew it wasn't just in my head that I was EXTRA hungry during the day. What I am trying to do is not eat until I finish working out, then have a protein shake or something that will keep you going. I won't have a full breakfast till maybe mid morning, then have lunch at regular time. A small snack before dinner and just hold out.

I have been sooo hungry, and it sucks until you find a pattern that works. Small healthy meals will keep you going and still under cals.

Good luck! :D
  • BiblioTrecho
    BiblioTrecho Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I had that problem too when I first started working out in the morning, but that did go away. Maybe my body just adapted to it. I also eat breakfast right after my workout.
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Working out every morning has me starving and the first chance I get after getting dressed for work, I eat fruit. It curbs my appetite most of the time. If I need more, I eat a tiny snack, to curb my appetite til breakfast. Yes, I said breakfast. LOL. I usually take a small breakfast to work and eat it on break(it's the best I can do since I workout right before work).
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem...I started drinking a small amount of whey protein immediately after working out (about 1 scoop, which is 100 cals/15 grams of protein). I also drink about 4-5 liters of water daily. I usually need a small snack before lunch in addition to the why protein...a scoop of peanut butter or almonds (something with fat for slower digestion).
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Are you eating back some of the calories you are burning or just running your scheduled deficit+ the extra deficit from working out? If you aren't eating some of them back you could be running too large a deficit. Unless you have some under lying condition hunger is usually a sign your body needs more energy.

What are your normal eating habits before and after your morning routine? How intense and how long is it? Are you tracking your calories burnt?

If you are doing all the right things as far as your diet is concerned and you are still hungry try eating more vegetables. My daily calorie intake varies wildly depending if I train or not, on days when I don't train I eat large bowls of broccoli, spinach, or various mixed vegetables with every meal to stay full while maintaining a calorie deficit. My diet fluctuates between 1560-3500 calories depending on if I train or how hard I train, so on the off days I definitely can feel like I haven't eaten enough. Eating a lot of vegetables helps a lot with my crazy appetite.

l get extremely hungry when I get done with my usual hike where I run sprints and jog some pretty steep hills. According to my HRM I am burning around ~1300 each time I go and averaging ~17cal per minute. I always make sure to eat a large meal when I am done. Consists of vegetables, meat, and some simple starchy carbs to restore my glycogen levels as fast as possible. I go from feeling completely 100% dead, depleted and extremely hungry to normal in no time. Placing a carb uptake right after vigorous activity really helps deal with hunger and energy for me. Throughout the rest of the day complex carbs, lots of protein, and lots of vegetables keep me filling full even on the hardest of training days.
  • ElenaM4
    Options
    This is all such great feedback - I truly appreciate it, everyone. (I almost wish there were a "like" button so I could "like" each of the responses).

Bobby, I have been having just a banana or something before my workout and protein after (yogurt, nuts, eggs or whatever), but having a full meal with enough carbs right after is a good idea. I may try to add a short workout in the afternoon, too, on days I can get it in - the afternoon workouts seem to curb the night munchies.

I'm still figuring out how to use this site so maybe you can help me with a question I have about entering strength training calories burnt? I see that one can keep track of weight and reps, but it doesn't seem to add those in the day's tally.
  • desert_mom
    desert_mom Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning. I don't eat beforehand, just a meal afterward. I make sure to eat IMMEDIATELY after working out (I workout at home, so that makes it easier). I've read that the window for cardio is within 30 minutes and 1 hour for lifting. Either way, if I wait too long, I blow my diet the rest of the day because I'm ravenous. Also, all my meals have a good amount of protein, and that seems to help.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Have you tried garcinia cambogia?
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    I have also noticed that weight training doesn't add to the calories expended. However, if you enter "weight" under the cardio section a calorie expenditure will come up under strength training. I honestly am not sure how accurate it is though. Weight training will be inconsistent from one person too another. A normal person just doing splits like bicep curls and leg extensions wont be anywhere near the calories expended by someone performing a strength routine with huge heavy compound lifts. Even a persons strength will greatly change the calories expended. Moving around 300+ pounds takes a lot more work to move than a 20lb dumbbell. Also, rest time in between sets and lifts change from person to person. I would honestly not even bother with their estimated measurement for these reasons. If weight training is a big part of your routine and you want to build muscle eating at a calorie deficit will be counter intuitive to growth. When I'm strength training I eat ~300 calories over my tdee with around 1.5g of protein per every pound of LBM. I don't track my calories burnt from lifting, I just make sure I'm over maintenance when strength and size is my goal.

Definitely sounds like you should eat a bit more after your AM routine. In my experience being hungry all the time has been a quick path to me quitting on my diet. This has been true with not only myself but friends and family. I think a lot people over do the cal restrictions and they make their lives pretty miserable. I know I do best with a diet and routine that leaves me feeling great both mentally and physically. I've found leaving myself either hungry or just staying really low cal does terrible things to my motivation, determination, and over all well being. Its all about finding that balance, experiment with your diet and find what works best for you. Personally I like really pushing myself when it comes to my cardio. Being able to eat more really helps with my sanity when I'm losing weight.
  • ElenaM4
    Options
    Thank you - I appreciate it!