Eggs

Options
I see a lot of recipes and suggestions for things using eggs with only egg white used. I know it's lower cal and high protein etc.

But what do you do with the left over yolk ? Anything or thrown out ? Seems like a waste. Thanks.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Normally when I use egg whites, I keep the yolk for my fiance who eats it with his eggs. But if he is not around, I throw it out. Egg Beaters is also a great idea for people who do not want to be wasteful since it is the whites without the yolks already.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I think that eggs are cheap. I say toss 'em.
    If you need to use them, smear them in your hair. Let them sit for a while and rinse off.
    I use the whole egg unless it calls for just the whites (where it wont turn out if you use the whole egg).
  • jodibeth69
    jodibeth69 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and they're super helpful in reaching my 60g of protein a day . When I'm calorie crunching I do go the one egg plus two egg white route. My dogs LOVE the yolks if my trolls aren't up yet, otherwise I slip them in their eggs. ;o)
  • bellanean
    Options
    I cook them up for the dogs, otherwise I throw them out.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    as mentioned above, eggbeaters are a great option when you just need the egg whites. you don't waste eggs, they have a longer shelf life, and it's so much easier because you just have to pour them straight from the carton instead of having to worry about separating the whites from the yolks.
  • KariNich85
    Options
    i give the yolks to my dogs, they love them and its a nice little treat for them..
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    :smile: You think the same way I thought about it. I did not want to try egg whites because I did not want to throw away the yolk. But I have been eating them now for 2 weeks and it does not cross my mind anymore. I would rather throw the yolk away, than to keep eating it . Plus, they really taste good.
  • nalia08
    nalia08 Posts: 252
    Options
    I agree with smuehlbauer as I eat eggs everyday. I was throwing out the yolk also, but now I eat them. I don't eat other foods high in cholestorol, so I feel , I can treat myself the yolk. The yolk is a good natural conditioner for hair! You talk the leftover yolk, mix it with your current conditioner and use while in the shower. the entire family can use it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    The idea that eggs are bad because they cause high cholesterol is based on the archaic idea that all cholesterol is bad. Eggs actually have GOOD cholesterol in them, especially in the yolk where most of the nutrients are based. If a recipe calls for egg whites I'll keep the yolks, cook them on the side and eat them while the other recipe is being prepared. That's more because I just think they're delicious too :3
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I use the yokes. If I cut one or two out I cook it up and give it to my dogs. Good for there coats and skin. The yokes are good for yo too 1-2 then cut the rest out. People need to quit worring about the cholesteral in eggs if your healthy and workingout. There are things in there that your body needs
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    PS I Eat EGGS 7 days a weeks LOVE THEM
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It's actually not the cholesterol that I worry about though high cholesterol is one reason I started losing weight, it's the high calorie content. I hardly ever eat eggs and a lot of times substitute whites for yolks in recipes to cut calories. The down side is that you lose the good nutrition that the yolks have.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It's actually not the cholesterol that I worry about though high cholesterol is one reason I started losing weight, it's the high calorie content. I hardly ever eat eggs and a lot of times substitute whites for yolks in recipes to cut calories. The down side is that you lose the good nutrition that the yolks have.

.... 70 calories for one egg is something to worry about? I can't tell if you are joking or not.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the yolks. I figure 70 calories is nothing to worry about and its good cholesterol. If a recipe calls for the whites only, I freeze them. Then I make my own ice cream out of them when we have company. Its an awesome dessert and way healthier than anything you could buy in a store. Still crazy high in calories and fat, but its a once in a while treat (I think the last time I made it was Christmas!)
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ditto on using whole eggs unless it's a recipe that requires whites only.

The yolk has a lot of nutrients and I would hesitate to ever just throw it out. That seems wasteful, even if eggs are "cheap".
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    my dogs come running when I make an omelet. They know they are getting yolks
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Another use for egg yolks - when you make sugar cookies, mix yolks with food coloring (yes, the yolks) and let the kids use it as paint before cooking. It actually works pretty well.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont get the egg white only thing, and I dont get the whey protein thing! :laugh:

Just eat eggs and eat meat/fish/chicken - simples!! :wink:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Since I started getting fresh eggs from a friend's little coop, I can't bear to miss a single yummy bite of them :)

But you can freeze them..

http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/f/freezing-eggs