Please keep your eyes...

Options
lisalsd1
lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
Please keep your eyes on your own treadmill! It drives me nuts when I speed up, and I can see the person next to me look over at my speed.

I'm not going to say that I don't occasionally check the speed of the person next to me (just out of curiosity)...:smile:

Maybe it's just me...maybe I have a "short complex."

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Then you should keep YOUR eyes on your treadmill, yes?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Please keep your eyes on your own treadmill! It drives me nuts when I speed up, and I can see the person next to me look over at my speed.

I'm not going to say that I don't occasionally check the speed of the person next to me (just out of curiosity)...:smile:

Don't yo know? If we are side by side on the treadmill we are racing! :laugh:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Why am I thinking "People in glass houses....."
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

So what exactly is the problem OP?

You look at their treamill, they look at yours.

You are even!
  • lisalsd1
    Options
    That's probably true, but I hate racing people who are 6 ft tall. I know they are going to win!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    This is why I get on the treadmill behind someone, so I can watch their back end without them thinking they can watch mine.
  • lisalsd1
    Options
    ^I guess I can't judge too much...I like to watch the CrossFit people. I bet they get annoyed with me. I'll just start picking the treadmill at the very end, so I can only have 1 person next to me.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    That's probably true, but I hate racing people who are 6 ft tall. I know they are going to win!

Height has nothing to do with one's ability to run fast.
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My eyes aren't glued to anyone else's machine or anything, but if they change their speed, I'll steal a glance. It's mostly curiosity, distraction, and boredom. Ok, and maybe a tiny bit wondering how I measure up, but mostly looking for something to take my mind off the my own dreadmill workout.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Then why are you looking at the person next to you?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

True enough, but I know I start running at a lower speed (especially on the treadmill) than people with longer legs than my own. I know 4.5 mph is a brisk walk for some people, but for me, it's a slow jog.

I will admit to peeking sometimes. mostly because I'm impressed when people are keeping a pace that's about my fastest for longer than a minute!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I also like to peek at other people's speed, I don't feel like I am in competition with them, I just like to compare. If someone looks like they are really moving I want to know where I lie in comparison. I really am not a fan of running, I just do my 30-45 mins 3x a week because I know it's good for my heart and lungs and overall well being.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

True enough, but I know I start running at a lower speed (especially on the treadmill) than people with longer legs than my own. I know 4.5 mph is a brisk walk for some people, but for me, it's a slow jog.

That has just as much to do with turnover speed as it does length of stride.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The UBER competitive side of me enjoys it. Especially if they speed up to match mine (or go faster). I will run until I can no longer go. And I usually get a better workout than I had already intended to :happy:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I don't **mean** to look, but sometimes I've just gotta.
    It sounds like you're pounding away & a bear is after you & I really wasn't looking to see your speed, I was looking to see where the T Rex or whatever predator is after you has fixed his gaze, on me or you?
  • lisalsd1
    Options
    I'm glad people admit to doing this! I'll check other women (who are about my same height), just out of curiosity. I think I'm just being sensitive when it's a really tall man (there's this 1 guy that's probably 6'4 that does it all of the time).

But after reading all of the posts, I bet he's just impressed that I can keep up at 5'2:smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

That has just as much to do with turnover speed as it does length of stride.

Bingo.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't **mean** to look, but sometimes I've just gotta.
    It sounds like you're pounding away & a bear is after you & I really wasn't looking to see your speed, I was looking to see where the T Rex or whatever predator is after you has fixed his gaze, on me or you?

Seriously - sometimes people scare me - I have to look!

I haven't seen her lately but there was a girl at my gym I used to see frequently who would crank up the treadmill to top speed and then hold on for dear life. I was terrified she was going to shoot off the back.

Also I'm sure a few times people thought I was looking at their treadmill, but in reality my kid is on the treadmill on the other side of them (because there weren't 2 together) and I'm trying to see what he's doing.