Healthy Chinese food recipes?

Options
Ive been craving chinese since ive been eating really clean. So now Im looking for some really clean chinese recipes!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of clean?
  • dressagester
    dressagester Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Make sure to wash your veg before you cook them in a Chinese-style manner and you'll be good to go on your clean eating path.

Often times I'm too busy to do that so I just order my favorite Chinese delivered. I trust they wash their veg. If they don't, I don't really want to know.

:flowerforyou:
  • firstofnone
    Options
    By clean, I mean no junk food/sugars/overly processed foods. I dont want it fried, most of the chinese you order out is fried and covered in msg and sugars. I was thinking about a stir-fry or baked recipe that is a healthy version of the fried favorites at chinese places (ie, orange chicken, general tso, etc).
  • Acg67
    Options
    By clean, I mean no junk food/sugars/overly processed foods. I dont want it fried, most of the chinese you order out is fried and covered in msg and sugars. I was thinking about a stir-fry or baked recipe that is a healthy version of the fried favorites at chinese places (ie, orange chicken, general tso, etc).

Can't make a stir fry without sugars and if you are alright with parmesan cheese and broccoli, you'll be fine with MSG.

Make gong bao chicken

http://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/630577/gong-bao-chicken
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of clean?

Stir fry is generally protien & veggies stir fried in a bit of oil with added ginger, garlic, and/or onion. If you use a non stick pan and you can keep oil to a minimum. Marinating protien before stir frying will add to the flavor. Typical marinade is 1/2 soy & 1/2 vinegar....again maybe onion or ginger. Fresh ginger root is simple to use ..... peel & grate.

Then a sauce is added to "glaze" the veggies & portein.

Basic sauce:
    Broth of some kind
    Soy sauce/oyster sauce
    Rice wine vinegar, sherry, lemon juice
    corn starch

Soy-Sesame Stir-Fry Sauce
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tsp rice wine vinegar
    2 tsp toasted sesame oil
    1/4 -1 tsp hot red pepper flakes (start with 1/4 teaspoon and work your way up)
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tsp corn starch
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I make a stir fry from Shiritaki noodles and chicken with broccoli

for the sauce I make my own using garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, lite rice vinegar and instead of using sugar I use stevia instead
    which actually works wells, and for the thickener for the sauce, I use some PB2 powder, just stir those up together well and add it to the stir fry after you cook the chicken, noodles and broccoli

it tastes great and definitely not as heavy as Chinese take out, kind of high on the sodium side, but you can use less soy sauce and substitute some water instead of the rice vinegar.
  • Acg67
    Options

for the sauce I make my own using garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, lite rice vinegar and instead of using sugar I use stevia instead
    which actually works wells, and for the thickener for the sauce, I use some PB2 powder, just stir those up together well and add it to the stir fry after you cook the chicken, noodles and broccoli

it tastes great and definitely not as heavy as Chinese take out, kind of high on the sodium side, but you can use less soy sauce and substitute some water instead of the rice vinegar.

I call into question your palette if you find shirataki anything tastes "great"
  • cmcoyle776
    cmcoyle776 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make a low-cal, fairly clean Beef & Broccoli (had it last night) & serve it over brown rice.
    Serves 4+

In a sm bowl, combine 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour, 2 cups organic beef or veggie broth, 3 Tbsp honey, and 3 Tbsp soy sauce (Trader Joe's Low-Sodium does not contain preservatives). Stir until flour is dissolved.

In a large skillet/wok over high heat, cook & stir 1 lb boneless round steak (cut into bite size pieces) 2-4 min, or until almost cooked through. Add a small sliced onion, 2 cloves minced garlic, and 1/2 tsp chopped fresh ginger root (or 1/4 tsp ginger powder). Cook until onions soften. Add 3 cups chopped broccoli (I usually add some julienned carrots, too) & the sauce mixture. Bring to a boil, cover & heat & let the broccoli soften & sauce thicken, about 5-10 min.

Done!
  • BaristaX
    Options

once the noodles has been boiled for 5 minutes, drained and dried, then cooked with the sauce, it actually is great,
    I guess that's what it means to be a good cook, you can make anything taste good, but then again.. everyone's palette is different
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I never considered chinese food to be healthy lol
    Isn't chinese without all those tastes that are derived from unhealthy sources per say imo.
  • BaristaX
    Options
    Isn't chinese without all those tastes that are derived from unhealthy sources per say imo.

most people confuse Americanized Chinese food with the authentic Chinese food, authentic style uses lighter sauces and not as much sugar, also I noticed the authentic dishes have more vegetables.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    its not a hot dish, and it kinda sounds like you're looking for hot dish ideas, but one of my favorites is Chinese chicken salad--

1 bag rainbow slaw
    1 chopped green onion
    shredded or chopped chicken (chilled)
    optional-- fried chow mein noodles
    dress with Asian ginger sesame salad dressing

you'll have leftovers, most definitely if its just you. but as long as you only dress what you eat, it keeps well for a couple days.
  • Acg67
    Options

once the noodles has been boiled for 5 minutes, drained and dried, then cooked with the sauce, it actually is great,
    I guess that's what it means to be a good cook, you can make anything taste good, but then again.. everyone's palette is different

Good cooks also tend to actually care about the quality of their ingredients, but then again...
  • letmebangbro
    Options

most people confuse Americanized Chinese food with the authentic Chinese food, authentic style uses lighter sauces and not as much sugar, also I noticed the authentic dishes have more vegetables.

I've eaten authentic chinese food. Still wouldn't say it's a Healthy choice by any means.
    Of course home cooking, you can reduce many of the additives that they use to enhance the flavour, but ofc that is at the cost of flavour. if you don't mind that, by all means.

I eat everything bland most of the time, so doesn't really matter for me; but a lot of people need to have taste when they eat.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amandabrooke17
    amandabrooke17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand what "Clean" means {mostly because the definition varies so much} but I saved this recipe link for Sweet & Sour Chicken and it looks mostly healthy. I'm sure the ketchup wouldn't make a Clean List though :P

http://www.skinnymom.com/2012/08/03/skinny-sweet-and-sour-chicken

And another easy option is steamed veggies seasoned with light soy & sesame seeds over brown rice.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I've eaten authentic chinese food. Still wouldn't say it's a Healthy choice by any means.
    Of course home cooking, you can reduce many of the additives that they use to enhance the flavour, but ofc that is at the cost of flavour. if you don't mind that, by all means.

I eat everything bland most of the time, so doesn't really matter for me; but a lot of people need to have taste when they eat.

This makes me sad.
  • letmebangbro
    Options

This makes me sad.

Gotta do what you gotta do. Besides everything has it's natural flavours to appreciate. I'm looking to impress myself on how well I cook(that's only for special occasions ;) ). Just need food that most of the time helps me get where I want and the results I want.

Doesn't mean for the time that's not most of the time I can't get a nice 14 ounce steak, lather it with spices and braise it in some butter tho ;)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

This makes me sad.

Gotta do what you gotta do. Besides everything has it's natural flavours to appreciate. I'm looking to impress myself on how well I cook(that's only for special occasions ;) ). Just need food that most of the time helps me get where I want and the results I want.

Doesn't mean for the time that's not most of the time I can't get a nice 14 ounce steak, lather it with spices and braise it in some butter tho ;)

Live to eat, not eat to live, bro. :tongue:
  • Acg67
    Options

This makes me sad.

Why would you ruin a nice steak by braising it?