HRM Watch -- Any Garmin Fans? 110? 210?

Options
I want to get a HRM and have been looking at Garmin and a number of other brands. However, I'd like to get GPS to track runs, and based on past experience, I tend to trust Garmin when it comes to GPS devices.

After reading a lot of reviews, I don't think I need all the bells and whistles on the higher-end models, and I've been wavering between the Garmin Forerunner 110 and the Forerunner 210.

Any opinions from the peanut gallery?

Replies

• bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been using a forerunner 305 for some time now and wouldn't swap it. I use runkeeper on my phone as well but the the garmin is more consistent in recording the distance I have covered.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Cant give you a recommendation but I have the 610 which is the touch screen one and love it. My husband has the model down, with the bezel, and is also extremely happy...I suspect you won't go wrong with either of the models you're looking at.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I have the 110.

I'm quite pleased with it. It pretty much does what I want (heartrate, time, distance, pace).
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    For some great in depth reviews of many models have a look at www.dcrainmaker.com
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've had a 305 and currently use a 610. Garmin makes great products, I'd second going to check dcrainmaker.com for really good reviews of the various products.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I third dcrainmaker - great reviews.
  • Spartan_Chick
    Options
    I have the 110 also, however, one thing to keep in mind is the battery life. It is capable of 4-5 hours. So it is sufficient for basically up to a marathon. However, if you ever want to do ultras, it won't last long enough. I am about to upgrade to 910 so I can time and pace a few upcoming ultras.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    We have the Garmin watch and love it. It is definitely accurate (when we use it) and uploading it to the computer is quick and simple. I am not sure the model. I'd trust Garmin for sure. It seems to be slightly more accurate than the RunKepper App we also use when we run.
  • erkme73
    erkme73 Posts: 5
    Options
    Consider moving away from hardware-based, proprietary HRMs. I went that route. I have a 305, 405, and 605 (for my bike). They're all nice, but very rigid in what they can and can't do.

Around the time I started using MFP, I started logging my walks/runs/rides with other smartphone apps that use the myriad of sensors found in today's smartphones. There are about a dozen or so apps that will record everything - including satellite imagery apps - that blow the Garmin (and Polar, and blah blah blah) out of the water.

Here's the neat part - you can get a bluetooth-based HRM. Look up the Zephyr on Amazon. They sell several version depending on whether you use Android or iPhone - but that was the missing link. With the phone now able to properly log HR, it officially exceeds any watch-based HRM.

Just an idea. The Zephyr that I bought on Amazon was about $80. Well less than what a 305 will cost.